Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
How do you keep your e-book DRM passwords?

In this modern world of computing, there are passwords everywhere. Even if you aren't a technology buff, you probably have many private PINs and passwords and account numbers. But if you are a tech geek, you may have hundreds of them. And with the so-called "strong" (i.e. the ones that have funny characters and make no sense, so their harder to break), the days of remembering your passwords are over.

If you buy protected software or encrypted e-books, you have yet more passwords in the form of registration and activation codes. Writing it all down on paper is not very secure. What to do?

One ideal solution for smartphone, pda and even desktop owners is to store your passwords in an encrypted password vault. I use eWallet, but there are many alternatives. eWallet makes tracking passwords (with a backup on my desktop) so easy that it's second nature, and I've almost forgotten the nightmarish feeling of not having passwords under control.

If you don't have your passwords protected and organized, give eWallet or another password vault a try. I sincerely believe that the day is coming when almost everyone will be doing this on their phones.

Check out the new eWallet 6.1. It's available for Windows Mobile, PalmOS, desktop PCs and even U3 flash drives. If you have an iPhone, a version is coming soon for you.

It's obvious by now, that I'm a fan of password vaults and Illiumsoft's eWallet in particular. As I've said before, there are a handful of programs that are essentials for pdas and smartphones, and this is one of them. If you haven't got a password vault, you owe it to yourself to get your passwords under control and protected.

Links:
New version announced at Illiumsoft blog
eWallet 6.1 Product Page

Related:
Pocket Tunes now available for Windows Mobile
What's on my Treo?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I agree a tool is essential. I use RoboForm on my PCs and 1Password on my Mac. They both allow for generating/remembering web site passwords. You can also add "secure notes/safe notes" for stuff that is non-web. I have my Sony ebook store password in it, etc.

I thought I tried them all, but I haven't tried eWallet.

My only problem is that Roboform and 1Password can't sync with each other. So, I have to add new passwords manually to one or the other.

I did find 1 that was fully cross platform, Windows/Mac/Linux but it didn't seem as good as either Roboform or 1Password so sync became less important than day to day. The cross platform one BTW I found is Password Vault for this interested. http://www.lavasoftware.com/passwordvault.html I think it is $15.

EDIT... you can use the free version of Roboform http://www.roboform.com/ it holds up to like 15 passwords and 15 safe notes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I use PasswordWallet on the Mac -- it is an excellent program.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
as far as my "paid for" ebooks are concerned, I de-DRM the ebook after buying to be able to read it on different devices.
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Lose your credit card and need to call them? What's the number you call or your account number? Need your wife's or kid's social security number? How about the name of your car insurance agent? What about the dozens of personal and work-related usernames and passwords that you have to have at your fingertips? I can't live without these accessible to me at all times and a database that is only available on-line or at a PC won't suffice. So I carry on my person at all times a tiny print-out of a Word document that contains all of these. The print-out is only a few square inches of paper with the smallest font that I can read and is folded up and placed between two small rectangles of refrigerator magnets and placed in my front pants pocket (i.e., not in my wallet). This keeps it practically unknown to other people, with me all the time, and practically waterproof. I update and print out the password-protected Word file as needed. Short of having this information laser imprinted on the inside of my cornea, I cannot come up with a more accessible and reliable scheme.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
My Palm TX comes with such SW already on it. It syncs with my PC and I use it a lot.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
helten
helten is on a distinguished road

Device: None
Personally I'm using KeePass for both Windows and my Windows Mobile device. It also works for Linux and other stuff (java, mac, palm...). Currently I have 229 password entries, so it's kind of nice to have an utility for handling it :-S It is highly recommendable, free/open source and can be found here: http://keepass.info/
helten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
This keeps it practically unknown to other people, with me all the time, and practically waterproof. I update and print out the password-protected Word file as needed. Short of having this information laser imprinted on the inside of my cornea, I cannot come up with a more accessible and reliable scheme.

Wow, so you must not have alot of data, or you have REALLY good eyes. I have 119 items in my password manager right now. I actually don't have any SSN's, CC numbers, etc, etc.

But, you also have to type in each password each time you go to a web site. When I have to do that I usually get it wrong the first time. All my passwords are generated by Robo/1pass and are 15 characters upper/lower etc. I have a different password for each web site. Only a few web sites do I have a password that I know by heart, my gmail account and my citibank account in case I am at a PC without my software on it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I have about 120 lines of info with each line containing an average of four pieces of info or about 200 pairs of usernames and passwords. If I have to change one, a pencil does great to mark on the back until I can update and print it out again. I know it's low tech and if I ever lost it I'd be in trouble. But it doesn't have my name or SS# on it so I'm not sure how useful it would be to someone else if they did get a hold of it. And I don't have to worry about what to do if I lose my Palm (or whatever) or don't have it with me.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I have used ewallet, but for years now (first on my Palms, and now on my MotoQ) I have used SplashID, which has a desktop component. I agree with you that we all should have passwords in an encrypted form on both handheld and desktop. Either of these programs works very well.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
vido
vido began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I use only DRM-free files (my e-book is an iLiad).
vido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I use yellow sticky notes stuck to my monitor. Luckily nobody can read me writing.

I use a similar product on my PDA to store passwords. I hate the idea of one stop hacking for all my passwords but it's a necessary evil with the number of passwords to (not) remember.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I use roboform, which I like because I can keep a version of it on a USB key, and take it with me when I travel. No matter whose computer I am using, all I have to do is plug in the key and it types in the necessary password and other information at each site I visit ... without leaving tracks behind on the computer.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
I never, ever buy anything with DRM.
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #15
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
I have been using Password Safe for many years and have always been happy with it. Plus it is free.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote