Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Which firmware do you use? (multiple choices!)
14.2; I'm fine with it, no urgent need for update 3 10.00%
14.2; I've enhanced it, for example with FBReader 0.9 11 36.67%
14.2; eagerly waiting for a (more stable) firmware update 6 20.00%
15.1; it almost never crashes 5 16.67%
15.1; it crashes rarely, about once per week 3 10.00%
15.1; it crashes quite frequently (about once per day) but it's worth it 1 3.33%
15.1; it crashes very often, I consider going back to a more stable version 0 0%
14.2; I've tried 15.1 but it did crash too often 5 16.67%
I'm using another version (please comment, which one) 0 0%
15.1; it mainly crashes with ePUBs 0 0%
15.1; it mainly crashes with PDFs 0 0%
15.1; it mainly crashes with other formats than ePUB or PDF 1 3.33%
15.1; it mainly crashes with DRMed content 0 0%
15.1; it mainly crashes with content stripped from DRM 0 0%
15.1; it mainly crashes with DRM-free content 2 6.67%
15.1; it crashes more often when toying around with features 1 3.33%
15.1; it crashes more or less regularly, whatever I do 3 10.00%
15.1; crashing seems to be somewhat related to charging 0 0%
15.1; I can reproduce why it's crashing 0 0%
15.1; I have no idea, why it's crashing 3 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Which firmware do you use?

Based on fjtorres' experience https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=13 I'll try 15.1 tonight or tomorrow.
Did you experiment with various firmware versions?

EDIT: I've switched back to 14.2.
Yesterday, in the middle of my newest book (Conspirata by Robert Harris) 15.1 got stuck. I couldn't turn off, I had to do a manual reset. In the week before upgrading to 15.1, 14.2 didn't crash even once.

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-23-2010 at 08:52 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
thersites
Enthusiast
thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad & PocketBook 360
15.1 crashed all the time on my PB 360, but almost never on my wife's. We use it about the same amount, and both used an enhanced FBReader. The only difference was I put my books on a microSD card & hers are in the main memory. So, this is a good example of YMMV.

I downgraded both back to 14.2 awaiting the next stable firmware update. Interestingly, mine still locks up every now and then and hers never does. Given this, I'm suspecting that the microSD has something to do with the stability issue in both firmwares, but that 15.1 is especially prone to the problem.

Dave
thersites is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I am using 15.1
I am planning to downgrade to 14.2 Real Soon Now (TM).
The problem is, it crashes very irregularly. Sometimes it goes a week or two without a hiccup, once it crashed 3 times in a row in one html file. If I was near my PC at that moment I would have downgraded immediately. When I did get home the device was behaving well again and I was busy, an tired, and ... . I have vowed several times that I would downgrade as soon as I get to my PC, locate 14.2 version and have a few spare minutes.
Besides, 15.1 contains a few features that I find interesting.

We were told quite a long time ago that the new version is being betatested by Forkosigan, and after that the company is uncharacteristically quiet. Perhaps if I was able to follow the German speaking forum where most of the things (regarding PocketBook) happen on Mobileread I would be wiser. We - the English speaking PB owners and enthusiasts - only learn anything when Ulli or other bilingual fellow PocketBook enthusiast takes a pity and translates a post of two for us .

By the way, the third party FBReader first developed by SciFiFan and now by Granym, bring much, *MUCH*, more improvement to the device than upgrading from 14.2 to 15.1 did.
I wonder if Guys in Kiev plan to backport some features from the "wrist pageturn version"?

Last edited by kacir; 05-21-2010 at 02:05 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Let me add to your content:
Forkosigan has assured that the update 15.2 is to come before the end of May, as soon as the new PB302 firmware is bug-free.

I use 15.1, and it crashes eventually, but I don't pay much heed to it. Come to think of it, it's like if your pbook closes in the middle of reading. An annoyance, but nothing serious.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Its just that 14.2 is so frakking stable!
The only time I got anything on it to crash was by feeding FBreader over 500 Truetype fonts. It went over 4 months without ever crashing.
That's in Kindle-stability territory. But Kindle firmware does a lot less (as in supported formats and end-user features) and thus has less possible failure modes.
I put up with regular crashes on my BeBook thinking it simply bit off more than it could chew in trying to support essentially every ebook and document format on PCs. But the Pocketbook software supports almost as many formats (sigh, minus LIT), it does it generally better (dual-column landscape mode has its uses), and its generally more stable.
We've just been spoiled.

The comment about SD card sensitivity is something to think about. The firmware presents both storage pools in a unified form so I hadn't given much thought to whether the crashes were due to the card or not. But then, I don't have the dual-boot issue so my card seems fast enough...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur
Anders Eriksson doesn't litterAnders Eriksson doesn't litter

Device: a blue Opus
I voted for:
eagerly waiting for a (more stable) firmware update

But it should be emphasized that more stable refers to 15.1 and not 14.2
I am waiting for a 15.2 that has all the bug fixes that 15.1 seemed to have, but that is stable reading epub's and pdf's, that 15.1 was NOT
Anders Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Eriksson View Post
...But it should be emphasized that more stable refers to 15.1 and not 14.2...
That's exactly what I've meant by that. Using 14.2, not going for 15.1 and waiting for a more stable (than 15.1) version.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I use 15.1. It crashes about oncve a week, but I had a Cool-er before, so that's no problem at all comparatively.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Using 14.2, not going for 15.1 and waiting for a more stable (than 15.1) version.

I'm fine with 14.2 at the moment.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post

I'm fine with 14.2 at the moment.
I see you've got PocketBook 302 as well.
I really like my PB 360 and think about another PB.
Still not sure about the glare on 302, reports range from "disaster" to "way less glare than Sony 600".
Would you recommend PB 302 or should I wait for PB 602?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur
Anders Eriksson doesn't litterAnders Eriksson doesn't litter

Device: a blue Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I use 15.1. It crashes about oncve a week, but I had a Cool-er before, so that's no problem at all comparatively.
Thank you for this info, mine was reseting about every 20:th page
I just wanted to wait to see if the 15.2 update arrives, because I really like the hardware and especially the cover, but from this answer I conclude that I have to wait too long, and it is better to change to the latest Opus.

I am my self working as an embedded software developer for automotive electronics and I can understand that you want to "commonize" the firmware for all your devices and I think here again the smallest and simplest device will again pay for this

Last edited by Anders Eriksson; 05-26-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Anders Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
I see you've got PocketBook 302 as well.
I really like my PB 360 and think about another PB.
Still not sure about the glare on 302, reports range from "disaster" to "way less glare than Sony 600".
Would you recommend PB 302 or should I wait for PB 602?
The 302 comes with an antiglare foil now.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
I own both those devices, and while the 302 is more reflective, I find it easier to read because the display is much crisper. The glare is as easy to avoid as with the PRS-600; tilt the device a few degrees. Additionally, the touchscreen is more responsive.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Running 15.2 beta on the PB360 for know, first two days no really problems. Stable and no crashes so far.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I've been using 15.1 on my PB301 since it was released and have never had a crash. It wasn't an option. I've only been reading ePub with FBReader.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote