Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
mobileread08
mobileread08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Nook
Looking to buy broken kindle 1 with working screen.

My Kindle 1 screen broke last week
While I own the Nook now (Which I love now that I got it) I would like to fix my Kindle to have as a back up and for college so that I don't risk braking my new Nook in my book bag. Anyway, I'm well educated on working with electronics so I am confident if I get a replacement screen for my Kindle I can repair it on my own (Amazon wants $100 to give me a refurbished one which is more than I want to spend for a back up devise). Sadly all the broken down Kindle's on Ebay have broken screens. Thus if anyone here has a Kindle 1 that is broke but the screen works, I am willing to buy it from you.

Note: I also found out that the sony reader 505 screen works in the Kindle as a repair, thus anyone with a sony reader 505 broken but the screen works, I am willing to buy it if no one else has a broken kindle with a screen that works).

Anyway, I know this is a longshot as almost every Kindle that brakes usually has a broken screen, but thought I would give this a try.

Thanks
mobileread08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
one of the reasons it's a longshot is because Amazon CUstomer Service is so generous about helping! have you contacted them just in case they'll replace it?

good luck!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
mobileread08
mobileread08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Nook
Yes, I contacted Amazon and because it is not still under warranty they will only offer me two options:

1.) Buy a refurbished Kindle for $100

or

2.) Buy the new Kindle 2 and they will give me free 1 day shipping (Like thats a deal lol).
mobileread08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
you gotta search ebay for stuff like this.

Or may be try a parts supplier like this one: http://www.portatronics.com/index.ph...FRTyDAodok7sCg
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelad View Post
you gotta search ebay for stuff like this.

Or may be try a parts supplier like this one: http://www.portatronics.com/index.ph...FRTyDAodok7sCg
Yes but they want $169 for them to replace the screen plus shipping...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Alas... the Kindle is an electronic solid state device. What usually breaks on devices like this are mechanical things... the screen gets broken or perhaps a button might.

I wish you luck on your search.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you know a refurbished K1 for 100 bucks is not a bad deal at all!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
you know a refurbished K1 for 100 bucks is not a bad deal at all!
Quite true.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote