Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
gilamon
gilamon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre 0.5.0 crashes on startup

I installed 0.5.0 on a Vista SP1 machine. On first install it launched fine and I pointed it a folder on my server with my book and database. (Not sure which previous version of Calibre I was running.)

It ran fine until I tried to add a book to the library at which point it gave me a database locked error and crashed. Since then it won't start. When I try to start it Task Manager shows it opening and then it crashes almost immediately.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it still does the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
gilamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamon View Post
I installed 0.5.0 on a Vista SP1 machine. On first install it launched fine and I pointed it a folder on my server with my book and database. (Not sure which previous version of Calibre I was running.)

It ran fine until I tried to add a book to the library at which point it gave me a database locked error and crashed. Since then it won't start. When I try to start it Task Manager shows it opening and then it crashes almost immediately.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it still does the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
It wouldn't run on my Vista SP1 machine either. Wish I could give you some suggestions, but I'm in the same boat.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
well, crap..I'm in the midst of installing it right now on my Vista .......will let you know if I have any problems......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you run it from a command prompt as

calibre-debug -g

what error message do you get
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
well, crap..I'm in the midst of installing it right now on my Vista .......will let you know if I have any problems......
Have added 5 books, and so far, no problems. Have closed it and opened it twice.

My only problem is that I screwed up somewhere and for some reason it isn't showing in the 'Calibre' file I opened for it.........its on my taskbar tho, so I guess thats okay.........
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

I'm glad you were able to get it to run, DG. I uninstalled it and finally deleted it after several attempts with no success.

Kovid's theory is that it's AV software that I don't have running or installed interfering with Calibre. Wish that were true, it would be an easy fix.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
gilamon

Here's what came back.

"C:\Program Files\calibre>calibre-debug -g
link hasn't been detected!
link hasn't been detected!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 147, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 120, in main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1582, i
n main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 80, in
__init__
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1413, i
n read_settings
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1409, i
n initialize_database
File "os.pyo", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: V:\\"
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You put your library on a removable disk which is no longer present?

Start calibre from a terminal as

calibre --with-library c:\path\to\new\library\folder
Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
gilamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You put your library on a removable disk which is no longer present?

Start calibre from a terminal as

calibre --with-library c:\path\to\new\library\folder
Originally I had it pointed to a folder on my server which may have disconnected and caused the initial crash. The problem is I can't get the app to start to point it someplace else even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it.

I tried the with-library command above. It looked like it ran and dropped me back into the command prompt. However when I try to run Calibre it still behaves the same way.

Is there a config file I should delete that will let it start up without pointing to the old location?

Last edited by gilamon; 03-10-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I'm glad you were able to get it to run, DG. I uninstalled it and finally deleted it after several attempts with no success.

Kovid's theory is that it's AV software that I don't have running or installed interfering with Calibre. Wish that were true, it would be an easy fix.

I installed and uninstalled 3 times before I had success. Of course, it was totally operator error.....do you know what happens when you install it to 'desktop'? You get little files all over your desktop!

anyway, after uninstalling, and re-installing, its working the way it should......with one little glitch. The books I'm putting in won't open. Says they're drm'd. Which they aren't. Its something in what I"m doing, I'm sure. Since I've just started, I'll keep playing around with it.

One thing I like the most is to be able to specify which number in a series the book is.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@DG what format of books are you putting in?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@DG what format of books are you putting in?
I have a folder with books that have been de-drmed and mobi2mobi'd to fix title/author. I know these books aren't drm'd, because I tried emailing them and they opened fine.

None will open.

So I tried inserting a 'revbooktitle' book, and it did open.

But it won't let me mess with the meta data. Any title I choose won't 'fetch.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
I installed and uninstalled 3 times before I had success. Of course, it was totally operator error.....do you know what happens when you install it to 'desktop'? You get little files all over your desktop!

anyway, after uninstalling, and re-installing, its working the way it should......with one little glitch. The books I'm putting in won't open. Says they're drm'd. Which they aren't. Its something in what I"m doing, I'm sure. Since I've just started, I'll keep playing around with it.

One thing I like the most is to be able to specify which number in a series the book is.
Yeah .... that's the thing I'd like most to use it for as well. But, since I just don't have the time to keep trying to install it (again and again), I'm just giving up for now.

I know that's "not like me" but seriously ... with all the things going on around me at the moment and the drugs (gotta love the drugs!!), there's only so much troubleshooting I can do.

Drugs or not, however, there is no AV running on this laptop, and UCA is turned ever so off ....

Must conserve energy ... have huge blog post to write tonight.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
I have a folder with books that have been de-drmed and mobi2mobi'd to fix title/author. I know these books aren't drm'd, because I tried emailing them and they opened fine.

None will open.

So I tried inserting a 'revbooktitle' book, and it did open.

But it won't let me mess with the meta data. Any title I choose won't 'fetch.
Email me one of these books kovid at kovidgoyal. net...

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-10-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Think I will hold off on installing 5 on my Vista computer, and see if Kovid puts out an updated version in a few days. Calibre is ever evolving and really is nice for downloading newspaper versions. I'm not putting any new books on the K2 until I get some of these read!
MUST READ.....
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote