Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
JessicaTung
JessicaTung began at the beginning.

Thumbs up Create your own 6" EBOOK reader device with Electronic paper display!!!

Dear all :

Please kindly be informed PVI’s complete development solution kit is available for Product Design Engineers utilizing the E-Book Device System. They can write software applications with the E-Book reader device and also have hands-on access to the electronic paper display (EPD) which is integrated in the E-Book device system. This kit accelerates your time-to-market because you can develop your device quickly.

The development kit includes a 6” SVGA(800x600) Active Matrix display with high resolution , easy-to-read, low-power function. The kit can be used for software and hardware development.

The development kit includes:
● Samsung S3C2410 (ARM9 SOC chip) as host CPU
● Linux 2.4.18 OS ported on Samsung S3C2410
● Linux development environment on Samsung S3C2410 is included
● Nano-X window API ported on Linux OS
● Electronic Display Panel

Electronic Paper Display Benefits
● Paper-like readability
◆ Sunlight and non-uniform light visibility
◆ High reflectivity , high contrast & resolution
◆ Viewing angle ~180 degree
● Ultra – Low Power Consumption
◆ Long-term Bi-stable Image – content preserved without power
◆ Prolonged battery life

For more information, please contact:
http://www.pvi.com.tw
cindyh@pvi.com.tw
jessicat@pvi.com.tw
PRIME VIEW INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD.
TEL: +886-2-23938799
FAX: +886-2-23938809
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBOOK.jpg
Views:	2453
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1162   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDK.jpg
Views:	2402
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1163  
JessicaTung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:09 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hello Jessica!

Welcome to the Forums.
It's always good to hear about news about epaper displays. Your ODM kit looks good, can you give us more info about it?

I'll move this to the "Others" section for the time being since it's nit Hanlin related.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
TND
TJ
TND began at the beginning.

Only manufacturer of eInk?

Interesting thing on their website here.

http://www.pvi.com.tw/dm/DM_060508_Web_02.htm

"Experienced in TFT LCD and E-Paper Panel
- In 2005, we have acquired the e-Paper department of Philips Corp and its related patents ranging from E-paper panel manufacturing to technology know-how in E-ink’s technologies. Currently, we are the sole manufacturer of E-ink technologies’ panel."

I didnt know that Phillips had sold it off.

TJ
TND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Yup, I posted about it here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTung

The development kit includes:

● Linux 2.4.18 OS ported on Samsung S3C2410
2.4.18 (or .19 or near, I already forgot)is the one of Sony Librie. It could imply that the framebuffer driver has not been upgraded to the 2.6 kernel family. Or just laziness.
Quote:
● Nano-X window API ported on Linux OS
I do not believe it.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
JessicaTung

PVI's development kit Spec for ebook reader device

Dear all~

Regarding to PVI's development kit , please kindly see the Spec and details as the attachment.

Any quesiton and feel free to contact us.

Best Regards
Jessica
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PVI_EBR_DevelopKit_Ver1.pdf (835.8 KB, 1597 views)
Old 07-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Sorry jessica, I showed scepticisms because I understood you were claiming a port of Xwindows. I understand that what you have currently ported is the library of the nanoX project,

http://www.microwindows.org/

I would like to hear more details about the port. Some versions of NanoX are even compatible with Xwindows binaries. Do you have some examples and/or pictures to show?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
JessicaTung

Hello, Arivero:

According to your question , we didn't port Xwindow.
We were not claiming a port of Xwindows.
But we have already ported Nano-X library on our platform.

If you have any question , please let me know.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Sorry jessica, I showed scepticisms because I understood you were claiming a port of Xwindows. I understand that what you have currently ported is the library of the nanoX project,

http://www.microwindows.org/

I would like to hear more details about the port. Some versions of NanoX are even compatible with Xwindows binaries. Do you have some examples and/or pictures to show?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Hello Jessica,

I went to take a peek at the webpage that I assume describes your product in more detail (http://www.pvi.com.tw/ppt/PVI%20development%20kit-4.htm), but instead I got an error message that said something about Internet Explorer. When I followed the included link, I did get more information, but now I am not certain if I am missing something.

It would probably help if the error pages for your English site were also in English. It's pretty hard for somebody who doesn't speak Chinese to guess what went wrong. Let me know if you want a screen shot.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #10
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by branko
Hello Jessica,

I went to take a peek at the webpage that I assume describes your product in more detail (http://www.pvi.com.tw/ppt/PVI%20development%20kit-4.htm), but instead I got an error message that said something about Internet Explorer. When I followed the included link, I did get more information, but now I am not certain if I am missing something.

It would probably help if the error pages for your English site were also in English. It's pretty hard for somebody who doesn't speak Chinese to guess what went wrong. Let me know if you want a screen shot.
You need to run it in IE ... at least that's how I got it running. Jessica, you may want to use standard html pages instead of a powerpoint slide that needs IE to display.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
hit360
hit360 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Building one

Jessica, I was wondering if it was possible to get a rough estimate on the cost of producing an ebook reader with your company. I know quantity and specs are factors but basically for 1000 of them with 8" screens, how much would that be roughly?
Any information on the cost of production would be a great deal of help.
Thank you!
hit360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Is this just the official notice of what was reported on here last week?
Build your own E-Ink reader for $3K!

Most of us have our designs for what each of us would consider an ideal eInk reader, but I don't think many of us can spare the $3K for the development kit
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
This was the revival of a nearly 3-year-old thread! Probably no longer relevant.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Gah! ... and I fell for it

With all the reports starting to come in from CeBIT and last week's $3K thread, just assumed PVI was trying to get on top of things
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
hit360
hit360 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Do either of you know a manufacture of ebooks. I know about the $3k kit. Not where I'm headed. I just want to know the estimated cost of production of ebooks. Or do you but the kit THEN find someone to manufacture it for you?
hit360 is offline   Reply With Quote