Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
I was considering the keyboard model because I have found that I really dislike the onscreen keyboard on my tablet and since this model has 3g, I might use it occasionally, even if it is slow.

But primarily it will be a reading device.
I love the Kindle Keyboard 3G and do not foresee outgrowing it.

Actually, if the 3G sites you go to are almost pure text AKA for reading, it isn't slow. However, it is rather hard to find those web sites. I've thought myself of setting up a web site with links to them, but they often change (which is why existing directory sites like www.kinstant.com can be frustrating). Here's an example of a news site that is currently fast:

http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=....jp%2Fdaily%2F

The 3G is terrible as a web browser, but if you realize it is a reader, there are good uses for 3G that can be discovered.

As for the screen being fragile, well, it can be broken, but there are other tech devices a lot more fragile. Oaf that I am, I ran one through the washing machine. One of the new ones with a super-fast spin. The Kindle screen cracked, but other than the bottom of the screen not working, after drying, the reader worked perfectly. I could have kept it as an MP3 player, except that I had to return it to get a reduced price replacement from Amazon.

Also, this unit had an Amazon-brand lighted cover. That came though the wash just a little cleaner and still working perfectly -- not that I suggest this as periodic maintenance

Quote:
I don't want to have to bother to root anything if I can help it.
I'm a rather technical person but have never seen the need to do this.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-05-2012 at 03:45 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm getting a bit tired of my Kindle Keyboard (I have 2). Compared to my Sony T1 it's just so big! I am waiting for the next Kindle Touch announcement. I am leaning towards getting one and then selling one of the KK's. I think the processor is a little faster on the Kindle Touch. That's another thing, the Kindle is a LOT slower than the Sony. I only have 242 items on one KK and less than that on the other, so that isn't the cause of it being slow.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
i really like my K3 and see no need to consider upgrading. wireless transfer of ebooks is quite convenient, and i find the 3G nice to have even though there are drawbacks. i was out of the country last january and having the 3G was unexpectedly very handy.

but, the nook with the built in glow light is really, really slick. if i were buying my first ereader today i would give it a serious look.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Supposedly the glow light on the nook is scratch sensitive. My suggestion is to get a T1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
May I intrude on this thread? I was looking at the 'which to buy' threads and this one stuck out because the model I'm most closely considering is the keyboard model. Since you are discussing dumping yours, it seemed prudent to find out why.

I have a tablet already and don't care for the short battery life so I have decided that whatever I get, it will be e-ink. I was considering the keyboard model because I have found that I really dislike the onscreen keyboard on my tablet and since this model has 3g, I might use it occasionally, even if it is slow.

But primarily it will be a reading device.

My second choice is the Nook Glowlight because it has said light and the Nooks seem to have a micro SD slot.

I don't want to have to bother to root anything if I can help it.

I'm pretty much confining myself to the Nook or Kindle universes but that's only because no other e-ink machines have stood out for me.

I hope this isn't too off-topic and I'd appreciate your thoughts.
The keyboard on the kindle 3 has small little buttons with a tendency for the paint to fade. It is usable, but not intuitive IMO. Many who have the patience to master the keystroke sequences to accomplish a seldom done task would disagree I am sure.

I imagine there are those who can type 9 or 10 WPM on a kindle keyboard but they must have little doll hands with very strong fingers.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
LandSurveyor
infrequent visitor
LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung smartphone, HP Touchpad, searcing for the best e-ink device
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up a test on the T1 and it does have features that I like, such as the ability to reflow text on PDFs and also has the HD slol. (I wonder why they bother with micro cards on devices this size?) . I also still like to use a stylus, a holdover from my Palm days. I still use a capacitive stylus on my smartphone because it has such a tiny keyboard, especially in portrait orientation.

To explain my desire for the 3g models, I expect to be able to carry my device to work to read during lunch hours. At my job, we are forbidden to use company computers or the network for any personal use so the habit with my co-workers (I haven't been there very long) is to whip out the phones during lunch to catch up on email, read, etc. so we all have to use wireless. At home, it doesn't make much difference.

Since it will have an advantage in screen size over my phone, I wonder how well (if at all) your average e-ink device will access a forum site such as this one?
LandSurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
LandSurveyor
infrequent visitor
LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The keyboard on the kindle 3 has small little buttons with a tendency for the paint to fade. It is usable, but not intuitive IMO. Many who have the patience to master the keystroke sequences to accomplish a seldom done task would disagree I am sure.

I imagine there are those who can type 9 or 10 WPM on a kindle keyboard but they must have little doll hands with very strong fingers.

Helen
The problem for me is that I can't find them in stock in any stores around here any more. Best Buy had Kindles but no keyboard models. I need to find one to see how it fits my fingers. If I don't like it, that will be one less thing to shop for.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #23
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

Since it will have an advantage in screen size over my phone, I wonder how well (if at all) your average e-ink device will access a forum site such as this one?
imo accessing this www site, and www browsing in general, is much better on the iPad, iPhone, Droid, and iPod touch than on the K3.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
The problem for me is that I can't find them in stock in any stores around here any more. Best Buy had Kindles but no keyboard models. I need to find one to see how it fits my fingers. If I don't like it, that will be one less thing to shop for.
keys are very small and closely spaced together. You don't need a stylus to hit them, but you wouldn't be likely to want to use more than one finger at a time.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
keys are very small and closely spaced together. You don't need a stylus to hit them, but you wouldn't be likely to want to use more than one finger at a time.

Helen
I find that the onscreen soft keyboard on the Touch works pretty well. I prefer it to the physical keyboard of the K3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #26
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
May I intrude on this thread? I was looking at the 'which to buy' threads and this one stuck out because the model I'm most closely considering is the keyboard model. Since you are discussing dumping yours, it seemed prudent to find out why.
As I said earlier, I'm on the 4th device of this model in less than 2 years. The first one had lines on the screen (not a broken screen), the second developed cracks in the case next to the screen & fading numbers on the buttons, the third had the same line problem as the first. The one I have now I got in February of this year, it has a broken screen and that's our fault.

The device is heavy and can be a little awkward to hold, but a lot of that is probably because of the heavy duty case I use to protect it.

I'm just reluctant to re-buy something that has not proven it can last a year of normal use. I'm watching for sales and still researching what I'll buy next. Now looking into Pocketbook 360+
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #27
LandSurveyor
infrequent visitor

Sorry for your bad experience but thanks for the heads-up. I might do better to consider the keyless 3g model instead. Just today I downloaded a selection from Amazon to my phone. It's readable, particularly in night mode, but not ideal. Still, it proved the practicality of 3g access, at least for book-buying.

I suppose a ruggedized reader would defeat its purpose by being too heavy but there have been some semi-rugged phones on the market in the past. You would think they could incorporate some of this tech into a reader that at least some portion of the market would find suitable.

Not familiar with that model you mentioned but I'm interested in everything.

Good luck with whatever you choose.