Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Sony Android Reader App

Just wanted to share the following from Sony's Facebook post:

"For those of you eagerly waiting for our Android mobile app, the wait is over! Today, we unveiled Reader™ for Android™, which enables readers to browse and download content from the Reader Store, access existing digital collections and interact with their favorite books on their Android mobile phone (Android 2.2 or higher). For more details on how to download the app, visit http://ebookstore.sony.com/rme/"
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Just looked on my Android phone and found the app.

App is called 'Reader' by Sony Electronics Inc.

Do a search for Sony Reader and the app should show up. App is 4.48MB

The description states it will 'Synchronize your reading position, bookmarks, and highlights to Reader Daily Edition (model PRS-950SC with firmware version 2.0'
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
No iOS App but the Android App at least I believe it is syncing my account and library I'll post later.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
The App instals to the phone memory no SD option. App is 14.42 mb. Not sure if the books can go on the SD card if so I haven't figured it out just yet. The reading experience is fine for being on a phone.

The phone I have is the HTC Droid Incredible.

Last edited by trevgriff; 01-21-2011 at 05:56 PM.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Todroid
Todroid began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
App works pretty well on my Droid X. Showed all my purchased books, downloaded the one I wanted to read on the phone. Good adjustments of brightness and font size, easy navigation through table of contents, jump, or search. Wish it had the nighttime read mode (white text on a dark background), but I'll live without it. It's fine for occasional reading, my PRS-650 is my main workhorse anyway. I am glad to have this app though, there were a few times that I wished I had access to my books and I just had my phone with me.
Todroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm jealous! Still waiting for iOS app....
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

The email I got from Sony states:

Quote:
Sync your reading position, bookmarks, and highlights to Reader Daily Edition (PRS-950SC with firmware 2.0).
That makes sense since only the 950 has wireless capability, but it will be disappointing to 350 and 650 owners not to have the sync function. I assume the same limitation will apply to the iOS version.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That makes sense since only the 950 has wireless capability, but it will be disappointing to 350 and 650 owners not to have the sync function. I assume the same limitation will apply to the iOS version.
A firmware update for the old 900 would be nice, but I know the chances of that.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
A firmware update for the old 900 would be nice, but I know the chances of that.
That would be a nice surprise for folks!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
labtech89
labtech89 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I downloaded the Sony app but how do I get the books I have already purchased on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I don't have a 900 reader anymore just 300 and 700 which I don't use.
labtech89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Ken401
Addict

On the Droid X, I had to enter my account info first (Menu button>Settings), and then books purchased from Sony appeared in the Books section of the screen. To download, I touch the screen for the book a want, and the download begins automatically.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
iPad?

Does anyone know if the iOS version will be universal or if it will include a version for iPad? I have it on my DroidX but really, if you have a tablet device it is a lot easier in large format - especially for these 57-year-old-eyes....
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would like to know if the Android version can side load ePubs. I modify all my eBooks to have bold fonts to make them easier to read. Plus I buy a lot of books from Amazon and convert them to ePub.

Also what about the functionality?
  • Can you adjust the margins down to almost none?
  • Can you change fonts, and if so how many can you select from?
  • Can you change line spacing?
  • Can change background color?
  • Can you change text color?
  • Can you adjust the backlighting from within the app?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I would like to know if the Android version can side load ePubs. I modify all my eBooks to have bold fonts to make them easier to read. Plus I buy a lot of books from Amazon and convert them to ePub.

Also what about the functionality?
  • Can you adjust the margins down to almost none?
  • Can you change fonts, and if so how many can you select from?
  • Can you change line spacing?
  • Can change background color?
  • Can you change text color?
  • Can you adjust the backlighting from within the app?
I would like to know too. If someone who is using the app could tell us about some of the features it would be most appreciated please.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Ken401
Addict

The app is a pretty basic reader. You can bookmark and highlight, although I am not sure those transfer to the 950. You can adjust the size of the font, but not the font type. There is also a brightness control. I have not found an option for changing background color or a night mode. Neither have I found a way to side load anything. Just the ability to download and read what was purchased from Sony. Adjust margins, line spacing, text color? Nope.

Edit: Bookmarks and highlights do transfer in both directions between the Droid X and the 950.

Last edited by Ken401; 01-25-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Update about bookmarks and highlights.