Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Racegun
Racegun has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Racegun has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Racegun has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IPad
Question New pad, idiot owner

Is there a trick to adding epub books to the ipad? I've tried everything to no avail. I know they go in itunes but I just can't get here to there.

Pdfs are fine also but I haven't a clue how to work that either for plain, simple books. I've read the ipod manual but either I'm brain dumb or something because it isn't happening. What is so maddening is that I can keep 4 PCs up and running but an IPad has me down for the count.

Genie
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Genie.

Hang in there........someone will log in soon with help!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Some things to try:

1. Make sure you've installed the iBooks app on your iPad. It doesn't come automatically installed. It's a free download in the iTunes App Store.

2. You may need to change your sync settings. Open iTunes with your iPad connected to your computer. Select your iPad from the list of devices on the left side of the screen. Then click the "books" tab near the top of the screen. Make sure that "sync books" is selected. Then apply that setting and sync your iPad.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
Is there a trick to adding epub books to the ipad? I've tried everything to no avail. I know they go in itunes but I just can't get here to there.

Pdfs are fine also but I haven't a clue how to work that either for plain, simple books. I've read the ipod manual but either I'm brain dumb or something because it isn't happening. What is so maddening is that I can keep 4 PCs up and running but an IPad has me down for the count.

Genie
You have several choices for getting ebooks to your iPad. One is via iTunes and iBooks. Using this method, you will install the iBooks app and then can use the connect/share icon on the Calibre tool bar and select "connect to iTunes". It will take several minutes, but this will open iTunes and put a new icon on your Calibre Tool bar for iTunes. Then all you need to do is choose the books in Calibre that you want to put in iTunes and click on the "Send to Device" icon. This will put the books into iTunes. Now plug in your iPad, and sync just the books.
Once you're done, when you open iBooks your books should appear.

Another method is via the BlueFire Reader app. The nice thing about this app is that it mates up with Adobe Digital Editions and can use drm'd library ebooks. After you install Bluefire Reader, the first time you open it on your iPad, it will give you the option of authorizing it to your copy of ADE on your computer. Having done that, follow the instruction for transferring ebooks to BlueFire Reader on your iPad. You will find more information about using BlueFire Reader on this site.

cheers

Last edited by Leep; 11-21-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Racegun
Racegun has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Racegun has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Racegun has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Right now I'm playing with one "sacrifice" book in epub. I've downloaded it to itunes and it shows up there but won't open up for reading. I've synced till I weary but it doesn't show there either. I'm beginning to think that the Ipad is just another portal for vendors to sell their wares which is beginning to look like another huge disappointment.

There are nice features on the ipad like maps and net access but I'm looking for a serious reader where I can stash my library.

Genie
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
You can't open an epub file in iTunes on your desktop/laptop computer. It will only open in the app on your iPad.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
perhaps a little tricky the first time

Quote:
Right now I'm playing with one "sacrifice" book in epub. I've downloaded it to itunes and it shows up there but won't open up for reading. I've synced till I weary but it doesn't show there either. I'm beginning to think that the Ipad is just another portal for vendors to sell their wares which is beginning to look like another huge disappointment.
iTunes does not have a an ePub reader built-in and so you have to install another app on your laptop to read ePubs.

As has been mentioned by others, you will need to

1) install the free iBooks app from the App Store.

2) Connect your iPad to your computer with iTunes.

3) Then to make sure that you aren't being thwarted by sync settings, go to the "Books" section of iTunes and locate the one ePub that you have put there and then drag that to your iPad in iTunes under the "Devices" section in the left-hand side navigation area.

4) After the sync has completed (should be only a couple of seconds), then open iBooks on your iPad - no need to disconnect - and after possibly a few seconds the book that you dragged to your iPad should appear on the bookshelf.

The other apps such as Stanza and Bluefire are also free but have somewhat different methods of getting the ePub onto the iPad where the app can see it. After you have the iBooks app working and you want to check out other readers then you can explore them.

A key point to understand is that the iPad OS is different from your laptop OS in that each app has its own file area and apps generally can not share files like an ePub between each other. Each app has to have its own copy of the file.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
Racegun

Talking

WOW! It worked. Thank you Xristy! For each book I add I guess the same procedure will have to be followed. And I have access to a lot of good reading through a private group and a pile of a file of my own.

I've been on the hunt for a reader that could store books and read like one as well. In doing so I've been a bit OCD, bought, taken back, bought, taken back to the point of distraction. I've researched every ereader made just about but all of them have something short or missing in them. The time and gas money I've spent is outrageous but I'm not close to anything out here in BFE and the time spent on mail order and then returns would tie up my cards/funds for too long. I'm a hands on kinda girl. So all that has brought me to the ipad because I don't need another computer. It's a huge leap to go from looking at a $99 ereader to an ipad but I've been there, done that and took back the shirt.

Genie
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Glad it all worked out. Good to have your company, Genie. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
For each book I add I guess the same procedure will have to be followed.
I could be wrong. I haven't played with iBooks yet, but I am guessing that you can set the sync preferences just like you can with music, TV, and movies: in your iPad sync preferences in iTunes, just tell iTunes to always sync all ebooks to the iBooks. If that works, the only step you have to take is to drag an epub into iTunes and it should hop over on the next sync.

That said, I use Calibre on my desktop to run as an ebook server on my network, and then I use Stanza on the iPad to bring in books as I want them. You can also open epub files in Stanza from Dropbox, which is a functionality you'd think iBooks would would implement as well.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Racegun

Considering the fact that this is the first Apple product I've ever owned, I haven't any experience with iPods, phones, Macs or their aps, workings or whatever, I'm in the learning phase. Up till two days ago I didn't know I "needed" an itunes ap on my computer.That's the main reason I went balls out and bought and am going to keep the ipad instead of all the myriad of cheap and relatively "inexpensive" ereaders out there. On two of my computers I tried Calibre but it drove me batty and that goes for Adobe Digital Editions as well. I prefer quick, simple and as little amount of fluff as possible.

Two years ago it was time to simplify my things and that included my library of books. I went through all of them carefully eliminating everything I just didn't need to keep and take up physical space. The used book stores got a huge buy back from me on several occasions. I still have most reference books but the casual reading is pared down. I have lists of my favorite authors so locating one of their books for a reread is rather simple. That plus a private group who keeps a huge library electronically is really easy access for me. So, for now, learning how to use and enjoying my new ipad is a major leap in my electronic world and I must say it's a whole lot neater than a pile of books getting older and mustier by the day. Now, I will make exception for a copy of "Gone With The Wind", an original copy dating back to the year and date it was published. There's no way to electronically preserve that.

Genie