Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
blaenk
Connoisseur
blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
editable custom columns?

So I created a custom column that simply shows the amazon identifier:

Code:
{identifiers:select(amazon)}
However, what I also want to do is be able to edit that information via the column, i.e. I want to be able to click on that column and actually change the amazon identifier (e.g. set one if none exists), but when I click on the column it takes me to the column edit dialog.

Is this possible?

EDIT: I got the stuff below to work. I'm more interested in the above question.

EDIT 2: I think I just found the answer to this question in the documentation:

Quote:
You cannot change the data contained in a composite column. If you edit a composite column by double-clicking on any item, you will open the template for editing, not the underlying data. Editing the template on the GUI is a quick way of testing and changing composite columns.
Is that by any chance outdated? Is there a plugin that might facilitate this? If not, oh well

If not, is there an easier way to edit metadata? In particular I would like to perform these two tasks:

1. find "fake" mobi-asin identifiers (the ones formed from UUIDs or whatever). For example, e92954ea-723f-4997-8b2d-015bc74acfe7, I could match that using a regular expression I imagine, I can use something like the following regular expression:

Code:
[0-9a-f]{8}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{12}
I think I managed to accomplish this by using the custom column I created for the mobi asin:

Code:
#mobi_asin:"~[0-9a-f]{8}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{12}"
It seems to work.

2. I want to be able to select some books and copy the "amazon" identifier to the "mobi-asin" identifier. I looked at the "edit metadata in bulk" feature and it almost seems like what I want. It lets me choose a search field and identifier type. However, it doesn't seem to show me a way of replacing that field with the book's amazon identifier. Is this possible?

I got it to work just now, but I'm not sure if there is a more direct/concise way of doing this: screenshot

Last edited by blaenk; 07-02-2015 at 07:50 PM.
blaenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your screenshot has you trying to put the results back into identifiers
You want the destination to be your custom column (#name_here)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
blaenk
Connoisseur
blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Thanks for the response theducks, but what I did actually had the intended effect. My custom column is actually just displaying the identifier, actually.

Basically I had an "amazon" identifier that I wanted to copy as the "mobi-asin" identifier as well. It worked Now I just wish there were some tool to download mobi-asin's

I'm not sure if the Amazon IDs are the same as the MOBI ASINs, I think the MOBI ASINs begin with the letter B.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Amazon IDs get inserted into the mobi-asin field.

I use a saved S&R almost identical to yours, called "mobi-asin to amazon" -- and use it on all my books as they come into the library.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
blaenk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Amazon IDs get inserted into the mobi-asin field.

I use a saved S&R almost identical to yours, called "mobi-asin to amazon" -- and use it on all my books as they come into the library.
Hey eschwartz thanks for the reply.

It's got me a bit confused though. You mean to say that this is already automatically done? If so, why do you use an S&R as well? Or were you responding to theducks, confirming that the S&R does indeed copy the Amazon ID into the mobi-asin field?

I'm still pretty confused on the whole mobi-asin interaction, but I was pretty sure that the one thing I understood was that manually setting it myself to the correct ASIN enabled me to use goodreads. My assumption is that if you don't manually specify a mobi-asin, then Calibre inserts a random UUID that is neither a real ASIN nor the Amazon ID.

That's why I figured the next best thing I could do was to use a S&R to just copy over the Amazon ID.

Off-topic: One thing I'm investigating now is whether there's a difference (to the Kindle) between the Kindle book version's ASIN and the physical (hardcover, paperback, etc.) versions of the same book. I've already tested a book with a hardcover version's ASIN and it seemed to work, now I'm going to try using the actual kindle book version's ASIN to see if there's any difference.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:08 AM   #6
blaenk
Connoisseur

Nevermind, I just realized/remembered that Calibre itself doesn't set the EXTH 113 field, so my setting the mobi-asin field isn't enough. I still have to use the Quality Check plugin to perform this modification.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:24 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon inserts the Amazon ID into the mobi-asin (exth 113) field, and that is how the file ships. That is what an exth 113 field is/does.
Nothing/nobody fills the "amazon" identifier automatically.

The Kindle doesn't care what mobi-asin you use, if any. Except for linking to the storefront to download cover thumbnails and the Book Description link. And goodreads of course.
I don't *think* hardcover ASINs should be a problem.

As for why the different calibre identifiers: Different storefronts will repeat ASINs. An ASIN for an amazon.com book might be for a totally different book on amazon.co.uk or any other country.
So Kovid decided that amazon:**************** should be a manually added identifier for store linking, like google:********* and urls and others.
mobi-asin, which is the book's ASIN, does not provide a clickable link in the Book Details panel, so as not to confuse people.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:09 AM   #8
blaenk
Connoisseur

Thanks eschwartz that cleared up some things. My books are all side-loaded, I was just under the mistaken impression that if I set the mobi-asin, then Calibre would write EXTH 113 with it, but I was confusing that with what the Quality Check plugin does (after inspecting its source).

I guess there isn't a point in me creating the mobi-asin myself then is there? If the Quality Check plugin handles the creation of that for AZW3 files?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:44 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

QC needs to get the data to embed as an exth 113 record from somewhere. It will use the mobi-asin identifier, or the amazon identifier, or the uuid -- IIRC in that order -- whichever is available. You certainly don't need to create both a mobi-asin and amazon identifier, at least not for this alone.

So, collected enough trivia from me yet?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:55 AM   #10
blaenk
Connoisseur

Sweet thanks! I was going through all of the trouble of replicating the mobi-asin manually. I had seen the source and noticed it could use the amazon identifier, but I thought that if I myself manually added the mobi-asin identifier, I could avoid having to use Quality Check, hence the S&R above. Seeing as how that's not possible though, I guess I'll just remove that column and identifier, and let Quality Check do it. Less work that way.