Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
kaonevar
kaonevar began at the beginning.

Device: All
Question CSS not working (specifically bold & font size)

I've got a <p> with the class being p1. I have the following CSS for it:

p.p1 {
margin: 0 0 0 0;
text-indent: 3em;
font-family: "FELIXTI";
font-size: 100%;
min-height: 16px;
text-align: left;
font-weight: 900;
}

The text inside the p1 says Chapter One, but is showing up in normal font weight and normal size. I even went into the file itself and wrapped it in <strong> tags to see if that would do it and nada. It is ignoring that CSS. It has accepted the font family, but that's about all.

Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Raven
kaonevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
kaonevar

Also, I know the font family can be bold because in Word and Acrobat Pro and Photoshop, I've made it bold. Not sure why it's not working in the ePub book I'm editing in Calibre.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you embed a bold version of that font?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I see no font-weight: bold; in p.p1

I see no

@font {
font-family: "FELIXTI";
font-weight: bold; ...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
kaonevar

JSWolf, I didn't. I didn't see a bold version of it. Just the normal. Yet I was able to bold it inside three other software programs...

theducks--
font-weight: 900; is as bold as it gets. In CSS, you can do bold or you can set a range of boldness based on numbers 100-900 according to the W3 standard.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe actually posting a complete test ePub that shows this issue would be an idea, including the font, and all the CSS.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
kaonevar

I may do that, though I suspect that JSWolf is on to something.

I know that Photoshop and some other programs can make letters bold without a bold font. I'm thinking that Felix Tilting ttf, not having a bold font version, is thus not able to be bolded in ebooks. I know most fonts are tricky enough as it is in non-Kindle-Fire readers anyway.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ADE does not bold the normal font if a bold version does not exist. Also, font weight in ADE does not work off of numbers to change the weight. It's either bold or normal and the fonts defined (or default) define the weight. You'll need to use bold or normal and not 900. And you'll also need to have a bold font embedded. If that font you are using doesn't have a bold version, you will have to scrap it and find a different font family to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
kaonevar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE does not bold the normal font if a bold version does not exist. Also, font weight in ADE does not work off of numbers to change the weight. It's either bold or normal and the fonts defined (or default) define the weight. You'll need to use bold or normal and not 900. And you'll also need to have a bold font embedded. If that font you are using doesn't have a bold version, you will have to scrap it and find a different font family to use.
That's what I suspected.
Thank you for your explanation!

And thanks everyone for the help.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FWIW - If you are using Windows look at the Control Panel->Fonts that'll tell you what you have for each typeface, Linux and OS/X will have something similar - I think.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	379
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	129253  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #11
kaonevar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FWIW - If you are using Windows look at the Control Panel->Fonts that'll tell you what you have for each typeface, Linux and OS/X will have something similar - I think.

BR
*nods*
I already had to do that to embed the fonts in the eBook in Calibre, but thanks for trying.

Tags
css, font, inheritance, paragraph