Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm left wondering if the author made an assumption about the screen texture or if Amazon specifically told him about it.
That is one of the things that is interesting about that report: Amazon hasn't made an issue of it.

It might very well be a side effect of the design rather than an intentional effort. Amazon has talked about working to reduce glare, to lower the bezel height (by 70%), to improve contrast, to ensure the light diffuser isn't overly fragile... Somewhere along the way they may have specified a glass texture that just happens to be ergonomically pleasing.

It would be somewhat ironic if one of the better features of the KPW turns out to be an emergent feature rather than an intentional one.

Yes, very interesting.
Now I *really* have to get my hands (literally) on one.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think mention of the screen texturing was in one of Amazon's Paperwhite videos, maybe even by Bezos himself. At least I was aware of it and hadn't read it in a review.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think mention of the screen texturing was in one of Amazon's Paperwhite videos, maybe even by Bezos himself. At least I was aware of it and hadn't read it in a review.
Really? That sounds promising. Any details you can recall?
Me, I recall Bezos talking of the nano-etching on the light diffuser layer but nothing about to top surface. I'm curious of their intended effect.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #19
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Really? That sounds promising. Any details you can recall?
Me, I recall Bezos talking of the nano-etching on the light diffuser layer but nothing about to top surface. I'm curious of their intended effect.
Maybe it cuts down glare.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Maybe it cuts down glare.
That would be my first guess; matte screens reduce reflections compared to the glossy glass favored by many laptop and monitor vendors. It may simply be that in looking to minimize glare they got a bonus in the form of a pleasing textured surface.
(Of course, it still could be a figment of the reviewer's imagination.)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
or it channels the light guide?

FWIW, people are mentioning this paper-like texture in the Kobo Glo threads too.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #22
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I have to say it is the only thing to make me drool. I really hate having to clip a light on my touch. It would make me read in bed. I fidget and tend to knock the light off the touch. But that is me as I will not use a cover with light, so it is very easy to knock off the touch.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #23
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
That would be my first guess; matte screens reduce reflections compared to the glossy glass favored by many laptop and monitor vendors. It may simply be that in looking to minimize glare they got a bonus in the form of a pleasing textured surface.
(Of course, it still could be a figment of the reviewer's imagination.)
Matte finish screens don't reduce reflections really. What happens is the same reflections are there, think about it-they have to be, the matte finish simply diffuses/scatters the reflected light so the image in the reflection is not as apparent. Matte finishes don't usually help when the issue is an intense very bright light source behind you. In such a case there will still be a bright spot on the display which corresponds to that light source. That spot will just look softer and maybe a tad less intense/bright.

That said I prefer matte finish screens and always will because the finish reduces those mirror like reflections enough so it can seem they aren't there. Not all matte finishes are the same either. I am sure most here have used enough laptops or even desktop displays over the decades to have experienced the wide variations of even matte finishes not just across brands but across models within each brand.

So I am hoping the way the KPW is built it's screen finish will help but not interfere with the crisp text we like from the EPD displays.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Matte finish screens don't reduce reflections really. What happens is the same reflections are there, think about it-they have to be, the matte finish simply diffuses/scatters the reflected light so the image in the reflection is not as apparent.
Fine: matte finish reduces *visible* reflections.
I'd still like confirmation that it isn't a figment of the TIME reviewer's imagination.

Anybody...? Anybody...? Bueller...?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Fine: matte finish reduces *visible* reflections.
I'd still like confirmation that it isn't a figment of the TIME reviewer's imagination.

Anybody...? Anybody...? Bueller...?
Um... He's sick
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I bought the Paperwhite and love it! Except for some very slight "shadowing" at the bottom of the screen, the lighting is extremely even and pleasant, and there's more than enough of it. I keep my screen turned down a few notches, and notch it down a bit further when reading in the dark.

The "shadowing" isn't really shadowing, but just the areas between the four LEDs as the light begins its trip up the screen. It spreads out quickly but not instantly, leaving ever-so-slight not-fully-illuminated patches at the bottom, down below where any text resides.

It's really, really minor. Overall, the lighting is more even than anything I've ever gotten from an external light.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post

The "shadowing" isn't really shadowing, but just the areas between the four LEDs as the light begins its trip up the screen. It spreads out quickly but not instantly, leaving ever-so-slight not-fully-illuminated patches at the bottom, down below where any text resides.
That is what I thought. They probably needed to run the LED-diffuser interface deeper inside the bottom bezel.

Thanks for the report. Any word on the screen having a "pleasing texture"?