Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #61
user
Connoisseur
user began at the beginning.

Device: Benq P51
Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
how well can you sketch, write, mark, etc with a stylus in ipad3?
Any input?
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #62
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I only know of one friend who uses a stylus with the iPad and he swears by that particular brand, which I'm forgetting at the moment (they also make keyboards). My grillfiend, however, is a graphic designer and uses a WACOM interface. She finds styli with iPads completely useless.

OT:

Personally, I'm waiting for the next iPad to be released so that the first Retina version will be sold at a reasonable discount.

Of course, if a non-Apple tablet emerges before then with the same vision-friendly resolution and an equal number of usable music composition applications, then I'll probably buy that one instead.

Android can't match the iPad so far in terms of practical music composition software or functioning as a professional control surface. Timing issues are also critical in a medium in which lag can't be tolerated, and Apple's hardware/software integration has always helped with that.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-31-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #63
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
I will definately buy it, the only problem i see, is ipad4 coming out
dude, a new iPad comes out every year, rigidly following its scheduled obsolescence charts. By the time you buy iPad 4, iPad 5 rumors of bigger and better comes out.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #64
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
My grillfiend, however, is a graphic designer and uses a WACOM interface. She finds styli with iPads completely useless.
she's smart.

Quote:
Android can't match the iPad so far in terms of practical music composition
I'd take a piano or guitar, but hey...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
OT:

Personally, I'm waiting for the next iPad to be released so that the first Retina version will be sold at a reasonable discount.
Lol, I'm waiting for that, too, so I can get my dad his own iPad. A refurb iPad 4G (2012) model should cost around $399 or so by then.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #66
user
Connoisseur

Quote:
I only know of one friend who uses a stylus with the iPad and he swears by that particular brand, which I'm forgetting at the moment (they also make keyboards).
that manufacturer name would be extremely crucial info!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #67
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

User:

I have to interview and write a piece about a famous musician this weekend, but I'll try to find out more information for you next week if the links below don't help you.

I think the best was supposed to be the Adonit Jot Pro, because the web site looks familiar and because that one is said to be especially good for writing. (Notice the disc on the tip and factor in whether that would be too distracting to you during daily use, though you could probably only tell by using it.)

Personally, I'd expect the Wacom Bamboo Solo to be the best stylus for drawing, but that's solely based on Wacom's rep and higher-end kit.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #68
user
Connoisseur

Adonit looks good, please confirm when you can, that this is the one, thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #69
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

I actually think my friend likes the Pogo Sketch Pro (that web site looks the most familiar of all). The PSP (note that familiar acronym!) is friendlier to the eye and, importantly, could be used more quickly for day to day tasks than a stylus with a disc.

But if it were me, I'd go with the more anal of the three styli and choose the Adonit. Reviewers and users both seem to say it's the best for writing and I happen to hate imprecision. The Adonit isn't as good for casual tapping on apps and so forth, but everyone says it renders their handwriting more perfectly than any other stylus.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-31-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #70
Marycv
Member Retired
Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 2
I think Samsung Galaxy is exactly what you are looking for. I've had the Galaxy for a few months, and I am happy with it. I think it is exactly what you described, but depending what other features you're looking for. What I like about the Galaxy is that the programs are compatible with ebooks/mobi files. I also had Kobo, Kindle, and ipad tablet. I think Galaxy is better than them. It is compatible with epub/mobi, where as the ipad isn't. The only way to access these format through iPad is through kobo or kindle programs. The Galaxy has internet, and works much faster than most programs I've tried. That's my opinion anyway. Good luck!
Marycv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marycv View Post
It is compatible with epub/mobi, where as the ipad isn't. The only way to access these format through iPad is through kobo or kindle programs.
This is completely incorrect. There are at least as many reading apps available for the iPad as for Android. On both devices, one has to install reading apps to read eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #72
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marycv View Post
I think Samsung Galaxy is exactly what you are looking for. I've had the Galaxy for a few months, and I am happy with it.
Are you talking about the Galaxy Note, Note 2 or S3?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #73
Marycv
Member Retired
Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am talk about the Samsung Galaxy 2 (which I have)
Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #74
Marycv
Member Retired

Yes there are reading devices for iPad, but many programs that I used gave me so much problems (especially crashing). I found it annoying I had to download ebooks or have to access the internet (like Kobo). I preferred something that didn't use the internet, because not all places have that. That is why I like certain programs that I save the ebooks onto the device and I upload it there. Well I am speaking for my personal experience, and just find the Galaxy is much easier to use (especially with the programs they have). I haven't had any problems with them yet.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #75
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

I understand that you own the device you're recommending. I'm just trying to understand which device it is. I haven't found any information on a "Galaxy 2" alone. I've only know of the Galaxy S2, Tab 2, Note 2 and Ace 2 (though of course there could be others).