Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #46
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I didn't see anything that needed uncommenting. duh! Found it

A question. Does this only work for Kindle4PC files or any Kindle topaz file?

Did you actually liberate a full book?

I do not have Kindle4PC.
I do have Kindle for PC, so I don't know if it works for anything else. It spit out a file with the output filename I specified, but as for actually decrypting it, I have no idea, since it still won't open in anything except Kindle for PC, which seems kind of useless. Like I said, I had forgotten it was going to be a two step process, first liberating, and then figuring out how to convert the liberated file. It is progress, though!!

I am confused about one thing though...topaz files in Kindle for PC (and Kindle for iPhone and iPod, as I understand it), use the file extension .prc. Once decrypted from Topaz, shouldn't you be able to run mobidedrm on it, the same as you would a mobi/prc Kindle file? (I did try this, but for some reason I'm getting a "mobidedrm is not recognized as an internal or external command" when I try it.)
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #47
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
I didn't see anything that needed uncommenting. duh! Found it

A question. Does this only work for Kindle4PC files or any Kindle topaz file?

Did you actually liberate a full book?

I do not have Kindle4PC.
I liberated a full book from K4PC and then tested it on my Kindle. I'll try the reverse (it should be a matter of just specifying the kindle pid with the -p option on the command line).
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #48
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I do have Kindle for PC, so I don't know if it works for anything else. It spit out a file with the output filename I specified, but as for actually decrypting it, I have no idea, since it still won't open in anything except Kindle for PC, which seems kind of useless. Like I said, I had forgotten it was going to be a two step process, first liberating, and then figuring out how to convert the liberated file. It is progress, though!!

I am confused about one thing though...topaz files in Kindle for PC (and Kindle for iPhone and iPod, as I understand it), use the file extension .prc. Once decrypted from Topaz, shouldn't you be able to run mobidedrm on it, the same as you would a mobi/prc Kindle file? (I did try this, but for some reason I'm getting a "mobidedrm is not recognized as an internal or external command" when I try it.)
No. Because it all has to do with the format of the file and how it's organized etc. like the difference in epub vs mobi vs eReader vs topaz. They all have their own layout and specifications.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #49
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I liberated a full book from K4PC and then tested it on my Kindle. I'll try the reverse (it should be a matter of just specifying the kindle pid with the -p option on the command line).
Thank you!

are you able to open the file with a text/hex editor and see real words?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #50
kennyc

Anyone know of if any free tpz books are available at Amazon?
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #51
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
No. Because it all has to do with the format of the file and how it's organized etc. like the difference in epub vs mobi vs eReader vs topaz. They all have their own layout and specifications.
Quote:
Thank you!

Ok, thanks, Kenny - well I should have known that'd be too easy.

And no, I tried opening the "decrypted" file in wordpad and got nothing recognizable.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #52
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Thank you!

I just decoded a topaz book from my kindle by specifying the "-p MobiPID" command line argument and it worked (you have to leave off the two check-digits of the PID, though).

No, you don't get any sensible data by viewing the stripped book (I have non-DRM'ed topaz books that are similar).
Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #53
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I thought a topaz file was just pointers to scanned bitmaps. And I assumed that the same letter could point to different bit maps.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #54
Bobman
Bobman began at the beginning.

Free TPZ book

Quote:
Anyone know of if any free tpz books are available at Amazon?
Try this one.

Living and Learning with New Media: Summary of Findings from the Digital Youth Project (Kindle Edition)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_orders_title

Can anyone give a full instruction how to fix this script and then how to strip drm from topaz book?
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #55
clarknova
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I thought a topaz file was just pointers to scanned bitmaps. And I assumed that the same letter could point to different bit maps.
This too was my understanding.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #56
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Somebody claimed Topaz is a variety of ePub, but who knows if it's true. The only page with any detailed info at all seems to have vanished.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #57
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
Try this one.

Living and Learning with New Media: Summary of Findings from the Digital Youth Project (Kindle Edition)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_orders_title

Can anyone give a full instruction how to fix this script and then how to strip drm from topaz book?
Thank you.

and welcome to MobileRead.

Keep in mind that the site guidelines do not allow specific directions or posting of like to apps that would be illegal or even asking for them actually.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-30-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #58
kennyc

As I said above I do not have Kindle4PC installed and think that is the reason nothing is happening when I run it.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #59
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
As I said above I do not have Kindle4PC installed and think that is the reason nothing is happening when I run it.
This is probably the case. It certainly reads kindle.info.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #60
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is probably the case. It certainly reads kindle.info.

Okay I did some creative programming (read Commenting OUT) and got it to supposedly liberate a book and opening it with Ultraedit the file is mostly unrecognizeable except the last part which has bunch of info -- author, title, dates and times and toc pointers and glyphs and counts and ....

Tags
kindle, topaz