Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #31
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
That was one of my favorites of the DT series.

Dreamcatcher is good imo, but its one of those ya love it or hate it books. Its sorta along the same vein as Tommyknockers.

Pennywise is mentioned it too, so that kinda makes it cool.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #32
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
That was one of my favorites of the DT series.

Dreamcatcher is good imo, but its one of those ya love it or hate it books. Its sorta along the same vein as Tommyknockers.
Well, I liked Tommyknockers, so there's that.

Quote:
Pennywise is mentioned it too, so that kinda makes it cool.
...and that's an extra feather in its beanie too. IT is my second-favourite Stephen King book (I enjoyed Misery the most...going from recollection anyway...it's a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away).

Cheers, and thanks,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 03-13-2009 at 01:57 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #33
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Is Dreamcatcher any good? I think I've got that in my TBR pile.
Didn't read the book, but the movie is quite awful.
I don't know how close to the book it is, though.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #34
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Didn't read the book, but the movie is quite awful.
I don't know how close to the book it is, though.
I think I gave up on the novel before I got halfway through, and I was tempted to do the same with the film. Don't know how I got through the whole thing.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #35
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh almost all movies based on stephen king books suck. The shinning was a decent movie, but was very unlike the book.
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #36
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Heh almost all movies based on stephen king books suck. The shinning was a decent movie, but was very unlike the book.
What about The Running Man or the Lawnmower Man

The Running Man was a great film, the book was fantastic - couldn't be more different though!!!

I have been really dissapointed in King myself. Like quite a few of you, Cell was the last book of his I enjoyed. Since then I haven't really been able to get into much of his stuff.

I'll probably give this one a try though!

I loved the DT series and the way it ended (all the way through it had been saying about Ka being a wheel so no surprises really) I didn't like the way he made himself a character though!

He has explained that the reason he rushed through them was so that he could finish the story... After the accident he realised that he may not get to finish the story!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #37
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
I agree, I liked The Shining years ago too.
However quite a few times over the years, I'd end up watching some junk movie on TV only to realize when the credits roll, that it was a Stephen King. Carrie, Needful Things, Pet Cemetery, Kingdom Hospital etc. spring to mind. Oh and in Kingdom Hospital, guess what?? The lead character, ((who in hind sight) definitely resembles S.K., with his long face and big jaw) who is of COURSE wonderful and charming, and ends up saving the world or whatever.... is hit by a car whilst minding his own business jogging early one morning down a country road in guess where? Maine of course! And you guessed it; he is seriously injured and ends up in a coma in hospital. Ring any bells ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post

He has explained that the reason he rushed through them was so that he could finish the story... After the accident he realised that he may not get to finish the story!
Oh, is THAT his excuse then. So he just wrote himself INTO the story and went over his accident and the horrible person who 'did' it to him, in excruciatingly boring detail over and over and over...... sigh! Then just for good measure he added in almost every type of character from all his books, and some form other people's books. He also mentiones the name of every single book (I think) right IN the Dark Tower series and of course his OWN name a few hundred times....

Such a terrible shame. I was so into the first few books of the series....
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #38
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Kingdom Hospital etc. spring to mind. Oh and in Kingdom Hospital, guess what?? The lead character, ((who in hind sight) definitely resembles S.K., with his long face and big jaw) who is of COURSE wonderful and charming, and ends up saving the world or whatever.... is hit by a car whilst minding his own business jogging early one morning down a country road in guess where? Maine of course! And you guessed it; he is seriously injured and ends up in a coma in hospital. Ring any bells ?
Kingdom Hospital is a remake, not an original SK story....
He purposefully wrote the accident into the story. He obviously also wrote in a lot of references to various SK related things (mention of Short Time - Insomnia, Nozz-a-La vending machines - Dark Tower, characters reading his books etc. Not to mention a special appearance by SK himself as the Janitor Johnnie B. Goode)

Just remembered about The Shining mini series. Not a bad adaption...
Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #39
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Kingdom Hospital is a remake, not an original SK story....
He purposefully wrote the accident into the story. He obviously also wrote in a lot of references to various SK related things (mention of Short Time - Insomnia, Nozz-a-La vending machines - Dark Tower, characters reading his books etc. Not to mention a special appearance by SK himself as the Janitor Johnnie B. Goode)
Oh, GEE! Don't remind me, it's exactly those sort of details that made me dislike him so. I actually pity him too...
I didn't know K.H was a remake.
I read somewhere on another forum and on another I-hate-SK thread, Oh, gosh! This is NOT a I-hate-SK thread, sorry. It's just me venting again!
Anyways..... I read somewhere that there is ANOTHER book of his, that goes along the same lines ie. nice good innocent and talented man, jogging, bad person, accident, nice good man seriously injured, other man bad, bad, bad .
Know which book it is?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #40
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
I read somewhere that there is ANOTHER book of his, that goes along the same lines ie. nice good innocent and talented man, jogging, bad person, accident, nice good man seriously injured, other man bad, bad, bad .
Know which book it is?
Can't think of any off hand...

How about most of his main characters being authors???
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #41
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
How about most of his main characters being authors???
Really? No, I never noticed that, but then again, I'm not exactly what one would describe as a fan!
Oh, yes.. The Shining, himself in The Dark Tower....

Mmm.... enlighten me.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #42
PieOPah
Addict

Misery
The Dark Half
Secret Windows
Desperation
Lisey's Story (okay, the widow of an author...)
Bag of Bones

Just to name a few...
Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #43
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Misery
The Dark Half
Secret Windows
Desperation
Lisey's Story (okay, the widow of an author...)
Bag of Bones

Just to name a few...

Do they all live in Maine?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #44
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Desperation was awesome, and the main character in desperation was really the little boy, not the author. Just like in the sequel (sorta) regulators, the main character was a little boy.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #45
PieOPah
Addict

You may laugh...

The Dark Half - Thad Beaumont is an author and recovering alcoholic who lives in the tiny Maine town of Ludlow

Secret Window - Vaguely recall Maine being one of the locations

Desperation - Nope

Lisey's Story - Castle Rock, Maine

Bag of Bones - The narrator, Mike Noonan, is an author living in Derry, Maine

Misery - Nope