Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Douglasco
Douglasco began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon monopoly or touch screen?
Load amazon books onto a 700? and back to amazon?

It seems like a stuid question with the obvious answer of no. And i searched and can't find anything, but there are so many convertors out there and amazons awz is just some type of mobi. Is it possible? And if so, what about putting a book i annotated and highlighted back onto my amazon account so that it could be downloaded by another device.
Douglasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You cannot buy Kindle books unless you have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account. In order to put Kindle books on a Sony, you'd have to have both devices and be willing to remove DRM on the Kindle books.

An expensive proposition.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you have a Kindle and a PRS-700, then DRM-free ebooks will work on both but they support different formats so you would typically use Calibre to format shift back and forth.

Since most Kindle ebooks are AZW, which is MOBI, their DRM (99.9% of AZW ebooks have DRM) can be stripped using mobidedrm and then Calibre can format shift to (say) ePub for the PRS-700. Note that stripping DRM is generally thought to be illegal in the US. Also, you can't currently buy Kindle ebooks unless there is a Kindle registered to your account.

A Kindle account can have 6 devices registered to it. Annotations and highlighting can be shared between the 6 devices, although I'm not sure of the details (e.g. what happens if two Kindles annotate the same ebook). In any case, the annotations and highlights are saved in a plain text file that can be shared with others (even if they are not on your account). I am not aware of any way to make these inter-oparable with a PRS-700, but they are plain text with a well defined approach to locations within the ebook (so it might be possible to do).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
A Kindle account can have 6 devices registered to it.
Just one clarification. An account can have more than 6 Kindles registered to it. Up to 6 on one account can *share* content but there is no limit on the number of Kindles attached to one account.

You can see the confirming response from Amazon here.

Might have to add this one to the Myths wiki.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Just one clarification. An account can have more than 6 Kindles registered to it. Up to 6 on one account can *share* content but there is no limit on the number of Kindles attached to one account.

Might have to add this one to the Myths wiki.
Absolutely. Thats a pretty misunderstood notion.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Actually, we have had conflicting reports from Amazon on this. I though the final word was that you can only have 6 registered.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, we have had conflicting reports from Amazon on this. I though the final word was that you can only have 6 registered.

BOb
Nope, read the response.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Nope, read the response.
Yes, I read the response. But I also remember the thread about this... that there was a follow up... and it turned out that response was a bit incorrect. I'm to tired to search for the thread now.

Then again, it really doesn't matter that much to me. Is this really a myth/compalint. Perhaps the McCauley family would need to register more than 6 Kindles to their account, but they are probably the exception to this rule.

Please, anyone here have more than 6 Kindles that can confirm this one way or the other?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
An account can have more than 6 Kindles registered to it. Up to 6 on one account can *share* content but there is no limit on the number of Kindles attached to one account.
I can see this helps if you are an eBay dealer with 100 Kindles for sale, but are there any practical uses for this that involve ebooks? For example, MobiPocket's stock answer to how to supply a classroom of students with ebooks is to buy one copy per 4 students. How would this work with a classroom of Kindles?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I read the response. But I also remember the thread about this... that there was a follow up... and it turned out that response was a bit incorrect. I'm to tired to search for the thread now.
Yes, RickyM called Amazon and also received confirmation here.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I How would this work with a classroom of Kindles?
I have no idea. I'm just reporting the news.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I can see this helps if you are an eBay dealer with 100 Kindles for sale, but are there any practical uses for this that involve ebooks? For example, MobiPocket's stock answer to how to supply a classroom of students with ebooks is to buy one copy per 4 students. How would this work with a classroom of Kindles?
Until Amazon makes their Kindles a little more sturdy, no way would I put kindles in hands of any age under 18 for school usage.

right now they have laptops, and the damage done to those thru sheer carelessness is incredible.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Was it Bur Bunny who talked about starting a book club with all the Kindles registered to one account so they could share? This might effect those types of groups.