Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Windflower
Windflower began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app on PC
Question New Reader - Noob reader! :-P

Hi everyone,

I just got a New Sony Reader for Xmas. I got it through Borders, so I started browsing the borders site (in a web browser, not thru CONNECT). I found lots of e-books that were in Kindle format. Do I have a hope of reading these on my Sony device, or should I simply hit my back button on the browser when I encounter the Kindle format as the only ebook option for a particular title?

Any help for the Reader noob, will be greatly appreciated.

Windflower
Windflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Windflower!

Unfortunately, Kindle format is owned by Amazon, and they don't want anyone else to play in their sandbox, so the short answer is "no, you can't get Kindle files to work on your Sony." Sad, but there it is.

Just out of curiosity, what's the URL of the Borders store you're looking at? I'd like to have a look at it myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Before you do anything, take a screen shot. This is the first I've heard of Kindle ebooks on Borders website.

You can't read them on the Sony. Sorry.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I went to www.borders.com, and was redirected to Amazon (actually the site that Amazon runs on behalf of Borders).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Windflower
Windflower began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app on PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I went to www.borders.com, and was redirected to Amazon (actually the site that Amazon runs on behalf of Borders).
That is exactly the site that I visited. Heh... which is why they seem to carry a LOT of kindle books.

BTW... Thanks for the welcome!
Windy
Windflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, that's actually Amazon with a Borders mask.

Borders is working its own web store, but I think it's still beta.

You can see the Sony store here, if you like. You can't buy anything through it, but I find it easier to navigate than going through the eBook Librarian software.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote