Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Options for Reading in Dark with Sony Pocket Edition

I am looking at the Sony PRS-300, but do a lot of reading with low or no light. Aside from the Case offered by Sony, are there any other options for clip on lights? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
dclavey
ePub Junky
dclavey began at the beginning.

Device: Black Sony Touch PRS-600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
I am looking at the Sony PRS-300, but do a lot of reading with low or no light. Aside from the Case offered by Sony, are there any other options for clip on lights? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
I made one with an Led torch $2 and a coat hanger $0. You just need to get the angle right. Works great ...
dclavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
I bought a great little LCD clip on light on ebay for under $5. It clips perfectly onto my homemade cover when it's folded back, and illuminates the whole screen very well. I'm really happy with it.
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Holf a flathlith in your mouf.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've been through many booklights over the years, but my favorite (and current booklight) is the Mighty Bright Flex LED light. It's perfect for the 505 screen. It's slightly bulky, but has a nice spread out light (with two light settings), easy to adjust, and easily maneuvered to avoid glare. It's usually $10-15, I got mine at Borders.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
skrutzen
skrutzen began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I use the Energizer book light someone else recommended here. I paid $7 after tax at Target. I just clip that onto the Standard Cover I bought for my reader and works well.
skrutzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
You good sir just made me laugh out loud

I am expecting the Sony cover with light to arive somewhere today or tomorrow (pending postal service haste), quite steep at nearly E50 (indubitably you were looking for alternatives due to this excessive pricetag?) but possibly less so when taken into consideration that a good hardcover is somewhat of a must if you plan on taking your eReader anywhere. If you want I can give a hands-on review when it arives, might elucidate whether it is worth it?

Last edited by FragFrog; 10-12-2009 at 12:18 PM.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Jerboa
Jerboa began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I use the Sony cover with light. I managed to find it at a discount, though. The few times I've used it I thought it did the job well enough. The light's color threw me initially but I got used to it.
Jerboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Thanks for making me giggle on a Monday afternoon.

I like the sony cover with the light built in. It is expensive, but I am pleased with it. It does add extra width to the reader, though, so it is even less "pocketable."

I also like this light. It clips nicely on to the reader itself, so when I feel like holding my reader naked - I mean my naked reader - it works out very well. This light is available at Barnes and Noble and comes in many colors and patterns. The drawback is that it takes two watch batteries, and that become pricey over the long run.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
You good sir just made me laugh out loud

If you want I can give a hands-on review when it arives, might elucidate whether it is worth it?
A would appreciate a review. Thanks.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I vote for the sony cover with built-in light. I really like mine. All those clip on lights do a good job, especially the Mighty Bright, but the 300 has very little area on which to clip it. The cover light takes care of that, and it really does a terrific job. It is well worth the extra money.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Cover + clip-on light. There are a lot of them, either mighty bright or not, but they can be the solution. Mine has an option- more or less bright. Perfect.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Cover + booklight
really like my compact booklight. its compact enough to carry with me and lights up the whole screen evenly (although in the photo doesn't look that way, it does light up the whole screen very nicely)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4767.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	37351   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4769.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	37352   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4770.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	37353   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4772.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	37354  

Last edited by lev; 10-13-2009 at 10:59 AM.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
Cover + booklight
really my compact booklight. its compact enough to carry with me and lights up the whole screen evenly (although in the photo doesn't look that way, it does light up the whole screen very nicely)
Quite pretty, I must say!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #15
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Quite pretty, I must say!
thanks!
I'm trying to find the company on the net but so far no luck.
it was given to me as a present in Japan and can only find it on amazon's japan site

http://www.amazon.co.jp/イデアインターナショナル...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2
lev is offline   Reply With Quote