Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Btw, for those addicted to DRM(let it burn in hell), we are planning to support encrypted and protected mobi files in further releases.
I agree. As much as DRM is so anti-FOSS... it really is a necessary evil for many people.

What about eReader DRM? Or is that pushing it?

BOb
Old 10-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Jekhor did get the Sony 505, so he will probably hack on it soon.
Good news, but I was thinking about my old 500. It would be nice to give that old dog some new tricks.

BOb
Old 10-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Good news, but I was thinking about my old 500. It would be nice to give that old dog some new tricks.
Well, it's pretty impossible to do anything without the device. Maybe you and other 500 owners can pool to buy used 500 device and send it to jekhor then?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
A ChipIn campaign might work.

How are you planning on supporting Mobi DRM? Using their existing Linux client? (Is it legal to do it any other way?)

Also, any chance of getting this on the iLiad? Especially if the rest of their source gets released, as promised?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
A ChipIn campaign might work.
Thanks, looks good.

Quote:
How are you planning on supporting Mobi DRM? Using their existing Linux client? (Is it legal to do it any other way?)
It is legal to do in any way which does not circumvent the DRM restrictions.

Quote:
Also, any chance of getting this on the iLiad? Especially if the rest of their source gets released, as promised?
Someone from iLiad community contacted us about porting, but no work is started yet. Probably everyone waits for the iLiad sources
Old 10-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I suppose there are no problem if you just implement the same functionality that a MobiPocket reader have. Since you do not circumvent the DRM when you read a book you have bought I do not see how it can be a problem.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, it's pretty impossible to do anything without the device. Maybe you and other 500 owners can pool to buy used 500 device and send it to jekhor then?
Hmm... I would send him my 500... but then I wouldn't have it any more nor a need for OI to run on it. Catch-22 I guess. I knew there was a reason I should have got another during the reverse aution for $112. Oh well, hind sight.

BOb
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Hmm... I would send him my 500... but then I wouldn't have it any more nor a need for OI to run on it. Catch-22 I guess. I knew there was a reason I should have got another during the reverse aution for $112. Oh well, hind sight.
That's why I told about pooling.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I suppose there are no problem if you just implement the same functionality that a MobiPocket reader have. Since you do not circumvent the DRM when you read a book you have bought I do not see how it can be a problem.
To stay within the law, you would probably have to have your reader register its PID with Mobipocket. But I suppose this could be figured out.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #25
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
To stay within the law, you would probably have to have your reader register its PID with Mobipocket. But I suppose this could be figured out.
Well, each V3 device has got a unique PID. It is being generated either from a serial number of device or from a serial number of the sim-card.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #26
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:

BOb
On a positive note,on ebay you can easely get one for 200$ shipping included!
Some bids are going for 175 or lower...
Old 10-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #27
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Hey lunohod, drop me a PM with your address, and ill send you a CyBook to play around with.
Did you get my PM?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #28
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Well, each V3 device has got a unique PID. It is being generated either from a serial number of device or from a serial number of the sim-card.
My device doesn't contain a SIM-card, so I guess it's the former.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #29
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Thumbs up

Quote:
We are pleased to announce that we have finally reached the point where we can unveil a working OpenInkpot version for non-developer users! While it is rough at corners and still needs polishing, it is quite usable. For more details, please visit our blog post: http://blog.openinkpot.org/2008/10/o...-released.html .
I just want to say that I think you guys are doing awesome work and I totally want to support you guys in anyway I can. Thanks a lot for your work.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #30
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Thumbs up A truly great concept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
I just want to say that I think you guys are doing awesome work and I totally want to support you guys in anyway I can. Thanks a lot for your work.
I second that sentiment!

I think the OI project still needs quite a bit of development, and I prefer my BeBook provided firmware for now, ao I have used the 'Live' OI 0.1, which is a lirtle unstable. But I really think this concept has the potential to be huge, and to really enhance the eReader experience by incorporating much improved interfaces and user features.

I look forward to future releases and updates, and hope the 'Live' relelase gets a more stable version soon. Like Linux Live CDs and DVDs for computers, a Live version will give many more users the flexibility to try and maybe convert to this system, or just to have the choice! And anything that can provide diverse support for multiple formats must only be a good thing - that's why Sony should be boycotted for their consistent attempts to provide a proprietary system, with extremely limited formats, to a limited geographic community - they finally looked beyond the memory stick, now they need to realise that Mobi, FB2, and a bunch of other formats are viable alternatives to their crappy LRF!.

Keep up the great work!