Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #211
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Peace be upon us once more ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #212
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So, topics that starts like: iPad! demise of eInk? draw attention of people for whom eInk is the only solution and they say: No way LCD based gadget can be a demise of eInk ebook reader and immediately LCD camp explodes.

See the difference?
I agree with both.

Mods need to be jumping in and editing thread titles that start with things like "Death of e-ink" etc. as that's just flame bait.

And they need to quickly jump on the "if it glows it blows" type comments.

Better yet, make a sub-forum area for tablets rather than having them lumped in the "other devices area." I'd just stay there and post all tablet news there and not deal with e-ink diehard crowd in the News and General Discussion areas any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I'm with you HansTWN. This is MobileRead! Not LCDRead or EiNkWorld. Let's talk about reading on all devices and stop the madness!

Absolutely. This is an e-book site, not a site specific to any one type of device that can read e-books.

People need to learn to read on what they like and not worry about what others prefer to read on. And again, that goes to both the LCD crowd starting the inflammatory "death of e-ink" threads, and the e-ink diehards that troll LCD device threads with the "if it glows it blows" type of comments.

It's not some zero sum end game. Even if LCD tablets become hugely popular in the mainstream, it's clear that there's a sizable niche of people who want simple dedicated readers with reflective screens. And in our capitalistic world, companies will not ignore the chance to make money off that niche.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #213
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The most I've typed are forum messages. But I do find that I can even type in the car.
Sure, I have too.

Still MUCH slower than the close to 100 words a minute I can do on a real keyboard. More than adequate for forum posts, e-mails etc.

But I don't think anyone (at least those of us with 20+ years experience typing on real keyboards) will every want to make the switch to virtual keyboards for real writing work. Especially small virtual keyboards around 8.25" wide in landscape view on 9.7" screen devices.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #214
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmember View Post
I'm disappointed in the iPad. I wanted an Apple Netbook. The iPad looks so inconvenient to carry around and there's no way to prop it up.
Have you actually used an iPad? The Apple case lets you prop it up - it folds over and tucks into a flap at the back.

Quote:
I know turning the pages of a book on it is cool but....I wouldn't want to wear out my eyes with it's backlit screen or try to hold on to it, not to mention its short battery life.
Again, I have to ask if you've actually USED an iPad? A evening + full day's usage (web browsing and reading) has taken my iPad down from 100% to 78% battery charge. I'd actually call that extremely good!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #215
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmember View Post
I'm disappointed in the iPad. I wanted an Apple Netbook. The iPad looks so inconvenient to carry around and there's no way to prop it up. I know turning the pages of a book on it is cool but....I wouldn't want to wear out my eyes with it's backlit screen or try to hold on to it, not to mention its short battery life. I'm very contented with my pocket eReader.
The case lets you prop it up IIRC.

You'll be able to basically make it a netbook when this case comes out...
http://clamcase.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #216
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
E-Ink is the only way to read. "If it glows, it blows!"

Unless I win that iPad. Then screw e-Ink! Who needs it?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #217
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
E-Ink is the only way to read. "If it glows, it blows!"

Unless I win that iPad. Then screw e-Ink! Who needs it?
"If it's e-ink it stinks!"
Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #218
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
No. Because for eInk camp, there can be no comparison, because our eyes cannot do it, so anything that is not eInk is not ebook reader for US. Not for everybody.
So, how my physical inability to enjoy LCD based gadgets, can be the inflaming statement?
Can you read on reflective (not backlit) LCD?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 AM   #219
cycles
cycles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
E-ink vs. iPad.

To go Off Topic - or on topic - or something, I have both Kobo 6" e-ink reader and an iPad running the Kobo app.

I prefer the Kobo e-ink for reading text because it is easier on my eyes. It sits on my bedside table for reading novels before sleep.

The ipad is better for reading magazines and certain non fiction works with plenty of pictures and graphics. It does hurt my eyes though. Apparently it can cause insomnia if you use it late at night.

The iPad is very popular and the e-book apps are all free. However, I do wonder if many iPad owners are actually using it to buy and read e-books.
cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #220
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Can you read on reflective (not backlit) LCD?
Yep. It is a lot easier. I am using ectaco dictionaries for 12 years. All of them come with reflective screens.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #221
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Yep. It is a lot easier. I am using ectaco dictionaries for 12 years. All of them come with reflective screens.
Then it is not LCD that you have a problem with, but backlighting...

Ectaco has the JetBook and JetBook Lite, both of which are reflective LCD.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #222
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Then it is not LCD that you have a problem with, but backlighting...

Ectaco has the JetBook and JetBook Lite, both of which are reflective LCD.
True, but it is easier to say LCD than backlit LCD every time I type it. In certain topics, such iPad topics people understand what is being discussed.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #223
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
True, but it is easier to say LCD than backlit LCD every time I type it. In certain topics, such iPad topics people understand what is being discussed.
Wow that would really bother me! what is it thats actually wrong?

No TV, no PC, no phone, no laptop, is Cinema projector type stuff ok for you?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #224
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Wow that would really bother me! what is it thats actually wrong?

No TV, no PC, no phone, no laptop, is Cinema projector type stuff ok for you?
Why? I spend 8 hours every day in front of my lovely desktop at the very least.
What is a problem?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #225
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Why? I spend 8 hours every day in front of my lovely desktop at the very least.
What is a problem?
Sorry I thought you couldn't read on an LCD backlit screen?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad