Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
DRM issue exposed on NPR All Things Considered

Last night National Public Radio's news show All Things Considered ran a piece about ebooks and digital rights management. The article basically presented an author saying that she disliked how DRM made it difficult for readers to access her novels.

Then an industry expert was quoted saying that publishers and authors would not be able to make money if the first copy of a book could go around the world in a day. I found that comment exceedingly wrong-headed, because digital distribution of a text (ebook) all around the world in a day makes me think "Wow! I can reach a vast audience and sell to them."

The article of course mentions Kindle because the media thinks Kindle is synonymous with ebook. It brings up the fact that many people are buying protected content to which they would lose access if Amazon discontinued Kindle.

An Amazon person was quoted as saying no one was complaining about DRM.

I personally have to agree with the author who disliked making the ebook buying and consuming process difficult. For most works, I think DRM is a waste of time. I suppose it is arguably needed for valuable nonfiction works that contain the knowledge of experts, but DRM still would only be a bump in the road to pirates.

Here's the link to the story. It takes just over 4 minutes to listen to.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102330373
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
Last night National Public Radio's news show All Things Considered ran a piece about ebooks and digital rights management. The article basically presented an author saying that she disliked how DRM made it difficult for readers to access her novels.

Then an industry expert was quoted saying that publishers and authors would not be able to make money if the first copy of a book could go around the world in a day. I found that comment exceedingly wrong-headed, because digital distribution of a text (ebook) all around the world in a day makes me think "Wow! I can reach a vast audience and sell to them."

The article of course mentions Kindle because the media thinks Kindle is synonymous with ebook. It brings up the fact that many people are buying protected content to which they would lose access if Amazon discontinued Kindle.

I personally have to agree with the author who disliked making the ebook buying and consuming process difficult. For most works, I think DRM is a waste of time. I suppose it is arguably needed for valuable nonfiction works that contain the knowledge of experts, but DRM still would only be a bump in the road to pirates.

Here's the link to the story. It takes just over 4 minutes to listen to.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102330373
Well, DUH .... no one is complaining about it because maybe 1 percent of the people who have a Kindle even KNOW about DRM restrictions. Are the people at Amazon really that stupid??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
And we know company spokespeople never lie.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Are the people at Amazon really that stupid??
That was rhetorical, right?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
No they just have their heads byried somewhere that gives them a brown outlook.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
No they just have their heads byried somewhere that gives them a brown outlook.
Yeah, it was rhetorical. And, I'm pretty sure their heads are in deeper than that.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Yes, complaining to the PR representative about DRM would be something like this...

Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Already discussed
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43348
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Now that is someone out of touch with Amazon's customer base.

There have been thousands of complaints to Amazon. Also in their general shop there was recently a revolt concerning the DRM on a computer game called spore. It's currently in the Amazon store, 3000+ reviews with 85%+ of those being 1 star and citing 'Draconian DRM' as the reason for the poor rating.

That is AFTER Amazon DELETED thousands of 1 star reviews which mentioned DRM. That should have been some kind of indication to Amazon that customers hate DRM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Now that is someone out of touch with Amazon's customer base.

There have been thousands of complaints to Amazon. Also in their general shop there was recently a revolt concerning the DRM on a computer game called spore. It's currently in the Amazon store, 3000+ reviews with 85%+ of those being 1 star and citing 'Draconian DRM' as the reason for the poor rating.

That is AFTER Amazon DELETED thousands of 1 star reviews which mentioned DRM. That should have been some kind of indication to Amazon that customers hate DRM.
Either out of touch or actively lying. There were still tons of defectivebydesign tags all over the Amazon store last time I checked.

As for the publishing guy, I'm not surprised he trotted out that old argument. I was disappointed the reporter didn't question him more. The fact is, there are books all over the darknet. There are already several formats out there that are easy to strip and enough people willing to scan and OCR that it's a moot point trying to stop piracy this way. It only takes one illegal copy getting out to mean that you have inconvenienced the rest of your customer base in vain. Like many others, I believe DRM is primarily for customer lock down. Besides, it's unreasonable to think you can stop piracy completely. If they want to discourage piracy, they need to do what the author said: make books easy to get and reasonably priced. Her entire series is available in electronic format and the first one's free. That's the way to sell books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if they offer a good-looking product that's easy to use and transfer at an attractive price, the pirates wouldn't get much custom. As it is, the pirates have a monopoly on availability and no silly restrictions. The publishing industry will have to move fast in this game if they don't want to lose most of their custom over the coming years. So far they're making exactly the same mistakes as the music industry, and we all know how well that turned out.

And here's another problem they'll have to face... free ebooks without DRM from upcoming writers and all the classics available from places like Feedbooks.

I wouldn't have to spend another penny and I could read for the rest of my life for free with just a smidgen of the wide PD catalogue that's available. I could also limit my choice to upcoming writers (lots of them about and lots producing good work) who refuse DRM on their works. Donating to them is worth the price if not only to support their talent, but also the ease of use of their products.

I have bought 1 DRM'd book so far since I got my Sony, and it will be my very last. What a pain in the ass that whole process is. It's Feedbooks and indie authors from now on for me.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Either out of touch or actively lying. There were still tons of defectivebydesign tags all over the Amazon store last time I checked.

As for the publishing guy, I'm not surprised he trotted out that old argument. I was disappointed the reporter didn't question him more. The fact is, there are books all over the darknet. There are already several formats out there that are easy to strip and enough people willing to scan and OCR that it's a moot point trying to stop piracy this way. It only takes one illegal copy getting out to mean that you have inconvenienced the rest of your customer base in vain. Like many others, I believe DRM is primarily for customer lock down. Besides, it's unreasonable to think you can stop piracy completely. If they want to discourage piracy, they need to do what the author said: make books easy to get and reasonably priced. Her entire series is available in electronic format and the first one's free. That's the way to sell books.
I partly agree and partly don't agree. Yes, DRM can be removed from SOME books but not everyone is going to be able to do it nor everyone is going to have the time and energy to do it. So, the effects of DRM that limits its distribution is not null. In other words, it's not a moot point.

Take me as an example. I bought three Adobe Digital Editions book. They are all academic books which I'll use over and over again (if I continue to be in this profession). And for both, I want to remove the DRM. I've been having tremendous problems figuring out how to do it and finally emailed a forum member for clearer directions. I haven't yet had the time or energy to figure out how to execute his detailed reply. No, it's not a moot point for some of us.

I do hope though that DRM goes away. DRM is so dependent on an ecosystem that is not very permanent. Those DRM servers and institutions can go away and many do. Furthermore, let's not forget that digital technology is evolving rapidly. In a decade, what happens to the Adobe Digital Edition book that I bought when the original server no longer is authenticating using that technology because "it's passé"? What happens then when we want to transfer those DRM'ed files to new computers and new readers? This is also one reason I'm going to, hopefully, be able to remove the DRM from my three purchases.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
And here's another problem they'll have to face... free ebooks without DRM from upcoming writers and all the classics available from places like Feedbooks.

I wouldn't have to spend another penny and I could read for the rest of my life for free with just a smidgen of the wide PD catalogue that's available. I could also limit my choice to upcoming writers (lots of them about and lots producing good work) who refuse DRM on their works. Donating to them is worth the price if not only to support their talent, but also the ease of use of their products.

I have bought 1 DRM'd book so far since I got my Sony, and it will be my very last. What a pain in the ass that whole process is. It's Feedbooks and indie authors from now on for me.
Hmm...I don't base my reading on whether a book is DRM free or not. I base it on whether it serves a purpose for what I need it to do. As a scholar who accesses certain books for research and updating knowledge and so forth, I can't base my reading off of whether a book is DRM free or not ;-)

I'm sure you know what I mean. However, there are LOTS of professions out there where reading published works is not a requirement, so there your point could applied.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I partly agree and partly don't agree. Yes, DRM can be removed from SOME books but not everyone is going to be able to do it nor everyone is going to have the time and energy to do it. So, the effects of DRM that limits its distribution is not null. In other words, it's not a moot point.
You don't need a lot of people stripping DRM. You just need one that does it and uploads the book. That's what makes the whole DRM thing so very silly. One person is all it takes to make the protection on a given title completely useless. There are very few books that aren't available in any strippable format but that's not necessarily an obstacle. You'll find plenty of books on the pirate sites that aren't available legally in ebook form at all. People scan and OCR books all the time. So those folks who think they'll prevent their works being pirated by not releasing an ebook simply lose sales from the people who would like to pay them for their work. It may stop a little casual copying between friends on the part of people who aren't comfortable stripping books or downloading from the pirate interwebs, but it's debatable how much that kind of copying really diminishes sales. Not being able to lend a book to a friend is one of the things that ticks off customers about DRM already.

Since ebooks are still not that popular, the sites to get books aren't nearly as well known as the sites to download music. When ebooks are more popular, more people will know about these sites. As it is, a quick Google search finds them. There are a lot of folks out there that aren't even slightly tech savvy, would never run a cracking script, and download most if not all their music and video from sites like this. I know very few people under the age of 40 who don't, and quite a few over the age of 40 who do, too. I'm considered a stick in the mud because I insist on paying for what I get. When ebooks get more popular, doing this with books will be more commonplace and people will be more comfortable with it. The only way to prevent it is to make buying books more attractive. The more customers feel that the content providers are trying to take advantage of them, the more will say "screw them, I'll just download it."

Last edited by Alisa; 03-27-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Hmm...I don't base my reading on whether a book is DRM free or not. I base it on whether it serves a purpose for what I need it to do. As a scholar who accesses certain books for research and updating knowledge and so forth, I can't base my reading off of whether a book is DRM free or not ;-)

I'm sure you know what I mean. However, there are LOTS of professions out there where reading published works is not a requirement, so there your point could applied.
Totally agree. I read predominantly fiction, leisure reading and I have very little need for anything more out of my reader (a few biographies here and there I suppose) but nothing my job would hinge on. In that case I would have very little choice in the matter.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm