Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: How important is backlighting to you in an electronic reader?
I won't buy one without it. 8 11.59%
I want it, but it's not absolutely vital. 15 21.74%
If the display, battery life and weight are good enough, I won't miss a backlight much. 22 31.88%
Backlights? We don't need no stinkin' Backlights! 24 34.78%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
How imporant is a backlight to you?

Hey, all,

We were discussing this over here and I so here's the poll!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I've never needed backlighting with paper before. Last time I tried putting a light behind a page it was a bloody mess, with all that backwards text shining through.

I guess putting a light behind my Sony won't help either.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Good point... it's really front lighting we're talking about for e-ink devices, even if the light originates from the side!

But the poll basically still works. We just need to keep in mind that the point is whether or not a light source integrated into the device is important, so that ambiant light is not needed.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, Bob, it is more of a built-in-I-don't-have-to-use-a-clip-on-or-a-lamp-to-read-in-the-dark type of thing we're getting at.

It sprang out of a discussion with da_Jane about how important that sort of feature was to prospective e-reader buyers.

It looks like we're deterimining that MobileReaders aren't that concerned 80% to 20% at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of results she gets from her site too.

All of this is completely unscientific, of course, but it's interesting!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
There's nothing like reading in bed with my GF asleep and not needing to turn on the room light.
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Sigh. Pride of Lions and I appear to be solidly in the minority! It will be interesting to see what the results of the poll are over at DA.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Don't feel too bad, Jane -- all this shows is that the folks who frequent MobileRead are less interested in a backlight. And hey, it's not that many of us so far, anyway.

It will be interesting to see what you get on your site, too.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm with you guys also... I really like to read at night without a light at night. But for a nice e-ink display, I don't mind turning on a light. Maybe it's not so much that people don't want a light, as the fact that e-ink is so nice it makes the desire for a light a very minor issue for most.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is'nt a night light a tool to prevent bothering your partner with your reading?
Page turning bothers us much more, so we quit reading at the same time. Happily e-readers won't be bothersome unless the buttons click. If there is no noise maybe I'll read longer with lights out...
Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Actually, I am alone in my bed <no rude or pity comments, please!>, so there's no issues of disturbing someone else. And yet it's still nice to read a backlit screen on my Treo. I enjoy the way the screen looks, and I like the brightness. But I also know that most people seem to hate the very brightness that I like so much, because people have said that it is an eyestrain for them.

But as much as I like reading with the backlight, the nicer display of an e-ink device pretty much trumps any considerations like back, side, or front lights.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

I actually find the backlight in the reb1200's a little harsh at night with no other lighting. (However, during a power failure my wife did use it as a flashlight until I could get my hands on real ones).

The backlight was my biggest complaint about the ebookman units - it was not consistant across the screen.

I have several clip on LED lamps, as well as a pretty nifty slate of clear plastic that covers a hardcover and is side-lit.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by exvaxman
I have ... a pretty nifty slate of clear plastic that covers a hardcover and is side-lit.
Is it one of the LightWedge things, exvaxman? Or something else?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Surely there are more that 23 of us with an opinion on this?

Hello?

Bueller?

Bueller?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Can I vote twice?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Can I vote twice?
I was going to say something smart-aleck ... but I don't think I will.