kenkyosan
kenkyosan began at the beginning.

Device: Mobipocket/Kindle
Problem with syntax <idx:orth infl=""> and hiragana

Hello,

As the title say, I have an insoluble problem with the syntax :
Code:
<idx:orth infl="">
I try to build a Japanese-French dictionary and I want to hide some labels (inflections) in the index with the flag 1, but it seems that some characters (not all), like hiragana に, た, ま, etc., don't work. The other syntax
Code:
<idx:infl><idx:iform value=""/></idx:infl>
isn't compatible with hiragana (I think), so I don't know what to do.

Anybody have an idea?
Thanks in advance.
kenkyosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkyosan View Post
The other syntax
Code:
<idx:infl><idx:iform value=""/></idx:infl>
isn't compatible with hiragana (I think), so I don't know what to do.
This syntax is compatible. It works with Mobipocket Creator and the current Kindlegen version. For example, you could use the following syntax:

Code:
<idx:entry name="japanese" scriptable="yes">
   <idx:orth>猫<idx:infl><idx:iform value="貓"/><idx:iform value="ねこ"/><idx:iform value="ネコ"/></idx:infl></idx:orth><br/>
   chat (m)
</idx:entry>
I've sucessfully tested it with a mini dictionary and a Japanese test file that only contained the characters 猫 and 車 (and their Kana equivalents).

The tricky part is selecting multiple consecutive characters. I wasn't able to do this with my PW2 even when the GUI was changed to Japanese.
For testing purposes, I inserted regular spaces between Kanji and Kana characters and when I selected one of the Kana equivalents the correct headword was displayed.

For more information on the dictionary syntax also see the Kindle Publishing Guidelines, which describes the dictionary syntax in detail.

Just out of curiosity, do Japanese ebooks contain invisible delimiters (ZWNJ etc.) between lexical units? If so which ones?
Attached Files
File Type: zip ja_dict.zip (6.9 KB, 306 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
kenkyosan

Hello,

Thanks for the response. Maybe it works on Kindle devices, but for me, converted with MC 4.8 or Kindlegen 2.9, it doesn't work on my Mobipocket reader 6.2 (PC or WM) even with regular spaces : no links are available from an other ebook (except of course for the entries 猫 and 車) and the inflexions are not accessible from index. The only syntax which works well is
Code:
<idx:orth value"">
It would be perfect if I canned to hide (for convenient reason only) the values I don't want to display, but...

To my knowledge, there is no delimiters in japanese ebooks, apart from hyperlinks and sometimes for to make easier the researches (like for find 待つ in 待っていました).

Thanks again.

P.S. : I you are interested, I send to you a sample of the dictionary.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DJF.zip (196.1 KB, 278 views)
Old 08-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkyosan View Post
Thanks for the response. Maybe it works on Kindle devices, but for me, converted with MC 4.8 or Kindlegen 2.9, it doesn't work on my Mobipocket reader 6.2 (PC or WM) ...
Apparently Mobipocket Reader doesn't support Kana inflections. However, you can simply add them as hidden idx:orth values:

Code:
<idx:entry>
   <idx:orth>猫</idx:orth>
   <idx:orth value="貓"/>
   <idx:orth value="ねこ"/>
   <idx:orth value="ネコ"/><br />
   chat (m)
</idx:entry>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.png
Views:	310
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	127069  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
kenkyosan

Yes, it's what I'm doing. I just wanted to hide some labels
Code:
idx:orth value=""
in the index, but it seems whether it is impossible. It's no big deal. Thanks anyway.

Tags
hiragana, idx:orth, infl, japanese, kindlegen, mobi