Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
strobi
strobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo page count

Hello, I have a Kobo Glo. Initially, it used to show the correct number of pages from the books that i downloaded at the internet.

I decided to install the kobo extended plugin (calibre), so, my device started to show the number of pages of the chapter I was reading, instead the total pages of the book.

I uninstalled the plugin and I did a factory reset in my kobo because I wanted to see the total amount of pages of the book, instead the chapter page count, but now, my kobo is showing less pages than the books really have.

eg: I have a book that has 300 pages, but Kobo is showing "page x of 233".

It was working perfectly before the installation of the plugin, is there anyway to fix this issue? Even if I change the font size, and other things, the number of pages keeps the same.
strobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The page numbering system used in kepub books is different to that used in epub books, so when you converted epub to kepub with the extended driver you went from the epub numbering system to the kepub one.

In the kepub system a page is the same as a screen, so the number of pages depends on the font size, margins, and other variable factors. The epub system depends on the size of the compressed file, so is independent of font size etc., but depends on how the publisher has created the book, how well it compresses, etc.

Neither the epub nor the kepub page numbering systems have anything to do with the number of pages in the paper versions of the book.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I read somewhere that an epub page is calculated as 1024 characters.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
I read somewhere that an epub page is calculated as 1024 characters.
Even worse -- it's 1024 characters in compressed format (an epub is basically a .zip container). About the only good thing is that the synthetic page number is independent of display/font size so page 124 in an sample epub is page 124 on any device that uses Adobe's synthetic page numbers.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
strobi

Thank you all for the answers, but @GeoffR, you said that if I change font size/type, margins, etc, the number of pages would vary, but it does not happen.

I've already tested with Epub, and Kepub files, and I'm almost sure, that when I first used my Kobo, the e-books was showing the same number of pages as the physical book.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobi View Post
Thank you all for the answers, but @GeoffR, you said that if I change font size/type, margins, etc, the number of pages would vary, but it does not happen.

I've already tested with Epub, and Kepub files, and I'm almost sure, that when I first used my Kobo, the e-books was showing the same number of pages as the physical book.
The number of pages will vary with a .kepub.epub file where a display page is counted as a book page so changes in font size, margins, line spacing, etc. will change the number of pages in a chapter/book.

With a .epub file using the Adobe synthetic page number algorithm, the page numbers should be independent of font/margin/line spacing/whatever.

The only epubs I've seen that had page numbers that matched a specific edition of a physical book were ones that implemented either a page-map.xml or <navMap> workaround. Even with textbooks, such ebooks are rara avis.

Please note the reference to a specific edition -- I have multiple copies of several physical books and the number of pages varies not only between paperback, trade and hardcover editions but even between different printings of the same format.

Regards,
David
Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
strobi

Thank you DNSB, I was talking bullshit.

Now, explain me another thing, please.

I have an ebook converted to kepub here, and the page count is ok till page 5. When I turn the page 5 to the next page (that should be page 6, or still page 5, whatever), I'm really reading the page 6, but kobo shows me it as page 40, it jumps from 5 to 40. Then, when I go to the next page, it shows me as page 170.

This doesn't happen to the same book as an *.epub file. Is there any way to fix it?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thank you DNSB, I was talking bullshit.

Now, explain me another thing, please.

I have an ebook converted to kepub here, and the page count is ok till page 5. When I turn the page 5 to the next page (that should be page 6, or still page 5, whatever), I'm really reading the page 6, but kobo shows me it as page 40, it jumps from 5 to 40. Then, when I go to the next page, it shows me as page 170.

This doesn't happen to the same book as an *.epub file. Is there any way to fix it?
I don't convert epubs to kepubs so not that familiar with the glitches that happen during the process. Are you using the KTE plugin's Use full book page numbers option? There have been reports that odd page number have been seen using that option -- see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...94&postcount=1 for a discussion.

Or are you using the [FeatureSettings] modification to show full book page numbers for .kepubs? Again, I've seen comments about some odd page numbering when using that setting?

[FeatureSettings]
FullBookPageNumbers=True

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-12-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
strobi

Thank you again!

The reason that I'm using Kepub, is because I can zoom in the images in the e-book. Is there anyway to do this in an epub file?

Last edited by strobi; 03-13-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The reason that I'm using Kepub, is because I can zoom in the images in the e-book. Is there anyway to do this in an epub file?
No. The image zoom is part of the ACCESS renderer used for kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No. The image zoom is part of the ACCESS renderer used for kepubs.
I'm curious (and don't mean this in a negative way). Is it really ("part of the ACCESS renderer"?) I would have guessed that Kobo got a long press notification on the image, and than Kobo took over? Like a long press on a word: Kobo gets a notification that a selection occurred, and than Kobo brings up the dictionary?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote