Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #541
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Yeah, I know how you feel. I wanted to see it before buying, in my case sufficiently enough to warrant making a 40 mile round trip... It is annoying that not all the shops will have them in stock.
Part of my thinking with ordering online was that the distance selling regs would mean I could return it if I didn't like it. The getting it early was just an unexpected bonus. Now to sell my Glo...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #542
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Should I buy one?

Hi all,

I currently own a Glo which I really like, but I am intrigued by the new Arua. The question is if it is worth the upgrade.
Where I live it is not possible to play around with Kobo ereaders in store before deciding as the are sold from web shops only.

So I would really like your opinion, if you have bought a Aura even though you own a Glo.

As I wrote, I really like my Glo. The bluish light doesn't bother me as I rarely read in complete darkness.
I actually also like the size of it. Even though I mostly read at home, I occasionally use public transport where I prefer spending the time reading as well. And there I like the fact that it's easy to bring along as it fits my jacket pocket easily.
But at the same time I definitely wouldn't mind a larger screen and crisper text that the Aura seem to provide.

Do you find the larger screen improves your reading experience compared to the Glo?
Is the text noticeably crisper than the Glo, or is it really only marginal?

I am a bit worried about the added weight as it, at least on paper, seems noticeably heavier, but how does the difference feel in real life?
I know it is still much much lighter than a good old fashioned paper book But I like my ereader to be as light a possible.

Also, how is the battery life compared to the Glo?

My Glo is only 6 months old and is in perfect condition, and since there's not really anything I dislike about it (hardware wise) I really don't need a new ereader, so can I justify the 200 €?
I would really like to hear the pros and cons from those of you who have rushed to part with a perfectly working Glo and jumped on the Aura bandwagon
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #543
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless taming uses a line height smaller then 1.3, it is going to be an inefficient waste of screen space as 1.3 is just too big.

I'm going to put together one more War of the Worlds that has the font size set to a specific size. That way, I can compare the screen shot to my 650 and see how much more text I get on screen in comparison.

The problem is that you cannot compare your PW to taming's Aura as you don't know the settings for the Aura vs your PW. But I'll know with the next version of WOTW and can do a proper compare for you.
It also depends on the font used. With my current settings: size 4, margins and spacing on the smallest values possible.

Georgia Fat: 29 lines
DejaVu Serif Fat: 28 lines
Veranda Fat: 27 lines
Palatino: 26 lines.
Caecilia: 25 lines

Georgia is a tad smaller than DejaVu on the same size, while Veranda is a tad bigger. The Fat fonts are my own custom ones, the others are Kindle fonts. Their spacing is wider than the custom fonts.

The only thing possible for comparison would indeed be to use the same book: one that does not force any margins, spacings or fonts. Then use the same font. Set the readers to smallest spacing and margins, and set the fonts to the same size as close as possible.

The comparison is of no use if you are going to force any spacing or font or size in the book that the reader cannot set itself, because I'll never do that.

One store in the Netherlands has it for pre-order for 179 euro. Maybe I'll just get it someday and see if I like it. If not, I'll return it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-27-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #544
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I think I'll pass it too, now that I read all this epub/kepub stuff
I usually buy epubs only from Kobo, convert to .azw3 and read on Kindle. Or I buy from Amazon. But now converting to kepub also so I can use Aura features?
Haven't finished the thread, so don't know if someone's addressed this, but you wouldn't have to convert epubs bought from kobo to kepubs....just download the kepub version for any epubs you have, if you prefer that style. Obviously not the case with books bought from amazon...those you need to convert to epub (or use the plugin to make them behave like kepub)...so not really more work than what you do to read on a kindle. Using wifi or the kobo app would automatically put the kepub of any previously bought books on your device. Then it would just be the same situation as epub to azw3 for kindle.

And it isn't "aura's features" that you would be missing out on. You simply have two separate formats (that have their own way of doing things...some people like one, some the other....and of course some would rather combine options from both )
It is an issue for all kobo users and isn't restricted to aura. At the same time, there are still many options when simply using epubs that are not available to kindle....so it really depends on what is "necessary" for you personally...but trying to turn everything kepub is definitely not the only way.

Personally I use kepub when I have it from kobo and am happy with epub when I have it from somewhere else (ie: library loan). The only thing I miss on epub is the mins left to read feature of kepubs...and no one at kobo has ever said they won't implement that with epubs in the future...in fact, just the opposite, it was implied that that's where the future is headed.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Edit: I see a lot of people did reply to your original post. Just one thing to add to something else you wrote....another post of yours that you want your books to be "liberated"...so you can still do that on the epub and use kepub if you prefer. Keep the liberated version epub in calibre and get the kepub directly from kobo (I believe calibre will see them as the same thing). Then you have your backup DRM-free on your PC for use as you please and get the features of kepub on your Kobo, if that's what you prefer.

Last edited by Uschiekid; 04-27-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #545
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
It also depends on the font used. With my current settings: size 4, margins and spacing on the smallest values possible.

Georgia Fat: 29 lines
DejaVu Serif Fat: 28 lines
Veranda Fat: 27 lines
Palatino: 26 lines.
Caecilia: 25 lines

Georgia is a tad smaller than DejaVu on the same size, while Veranda is a tad bigger. The Fat fonts are my own custom ones, the others are Kindle fonts. Their spacing is wider than the custom fonts.

The only thing possible for comparison would indeed be to use the same book: one that does not force any margins, spacings or fonts. Then use the same font. Set the readers to smallest spacing and margins, and set the fonts to the same size as close as possible.

The comparison is of no use if you are going to force any spacing or font or size in the book that the reader cannot set itself, because I'll never do that.

One store in the Netherlands has it for pre-order for 179 euro. Maybe I'll just get it someday and see if I like it. If not, I'll return it.
I'll be using Charis SIL. It really doesn't matter as long as all the settings are the same. I'll make sure it's the same font, the same font size and the same line height.

I'll use a font size of 1em with a line height of 1em and no margins. That should do to be able to show how much per screen you get.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-27-2013 at 05:23 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #546
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but you must use settings the readers can actually set on their own. Forcing the settings to values that one of the readers can't set by themselves, invalidates the comparison for people who don't want to mess around with the internals of the book.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #547
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Personally I use kepub when I have it from kobo and am happy with epub when I have it from somewhere else (ie: library loan). The only thing I miss on epub is the mins left to read feature of kepubs...and no one at kobo has ever said they won't implement that with epubs in the future...in fact, just the opposite, it was implied that that's where the future is headed.
I have been doing that too since May 2010 when I bought my first Kobo. I changed (if truth be told) mostly because I wanted to try things this way, for a change and because I really, really like the advantages kepubs have, at the moment. I fully expect the differences between kepubs and epubs to be negligible in the long term.

I convert kindle books in calibre. Choosing the kepub-epub bit is just a matter of choosing the driver of one's choice. The built in driver by davidfor is excellent. I was just exploring the new driver. I may change back, as so far, the ones created with the new driver, while great in terms of formatting, don't seem to show up in library searches. This may be something I am doing wrong.

EDIT: Yup, totally my fault. I had both drivers on (odd how that happened). Once I disabled the built in one, restarted calibre, and connected my Aura, all was well.

And Jon, when I alter the line height using calibre, I use 1.2. The line spacing choices in kobo really don't make it necessary all that often.

Last edited by taming; 04-27-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: I can read, but I can't spell.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #548
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Since I haven't upgraded my copy of ADE to 2.x yet I'm hoping someone can confirm something for me. I thought I'd read that the current generation Kobo's will read DRM'd ePub's from B&N if they're sideloaded using ADE. Correct?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #549
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have 2.0 installed using the setup in use by Kobo, Google, and Sony (among others). I can't seem to get a Nook Book into the ADE library to even attempt to sideload from there. You are probably more skilled than I am at that kind of thing. If it is something kobo has to turn on, I wouldn't count on it. Calibre is your friend for this.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #550
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have 2.0 installed using the setup in use by Kobo, Google, and Sony (among others). I can't seem to get a Nook Book into the ADE proggie to even attempt to sideload from there. You are probably more skilled than I am at that kind of thing. If it is something kobo has to turn on, I wouldn't count on it. Calibre is your friend for this.
All of my stuff is DRM free already, I was just wondering for a review I'm writing. I'm upgrading my copy of ADE right now so I guess we'll see.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #551
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Since I haven't upgraded my copy of ADE to 2.x yet I'm hoping someone can confirm something for me. I thought I'd read that the current generation Kobo's will read DRM'd ePub's from B&N if they're sideloaded using ADE. Correct?
OK, I could have sworn that someone said this was possible in one of the Kobo threads, but I guess not. At least I'm unable to get it to work. ADE will transfer the book, but I get a DRM error when trying to open it.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #552
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I assume that your exposure to the light of your e-reader will not be so prolongued and so extreme that it'll cause you cancer.
No, but light in the blue spectrum is known to affect your melatonin level and disturbs your sleep, which is why it is recommended that you not use things like tablets before sleep. Reading with the front light before bed is just the kind of thing that people use the front light for, so it matters whether the light tints blue or yellow.

Now, if you are one of those people who pass out the second your head hits pillow, probably none of this matters. Otherwise,, it may be affecting your sleep in ways you're not aware of.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #553
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Now, if you are one of those people who pass out the second your head hits pillow, probably none of this matters. Otherwise,, it may be affecting your sleep in ways you're not aware of.
I'm one of those people that has a horrible life because I sleep best from 4am to 11am, while the current world doesn't really give me the chance to do so. (No, it's not "getting used to sleeping from 23:00 to 6:00, because that's what I've been doing for many years, during my work week.) I rarely really sleep except in weekends. The best I can do is slumber. (Not really sleeping, but yet not awake anymore. Somewhere in between...)

It's Sunday now, 1:35 AM. I'll go to bed in about 1,5 hours. Then I'll read for another hour, on a Kindle. When I put the Kindle away, I'll sleep until 10-11 AM (It's still Sunday then, of course.) My Sunday will be great, as was my Saturday.

And monday, hell starts again. (edit: Not to mention, that my Sunday will be short because of going to bed at 23:00, where my Friday is always very, very long.) The usage of computers, tablets, or reading of books before going to bed, or refraining from these things, does not make any difference.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-27-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #554
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I'm one of those people that has a horrible life because I sleep best from 4am to 11am, while the current world doesn't really give me the chance to do so. (No, it's not "getting used to sleeping from 23:00 to 6:00, because that's what I've been doing for many years, during my work week.) I rarely really sleep except in weekends. The best I can do is slumber. (Not really sleeping, but yet not awake anymore. Somewhere in between...)

It's Sunday now, 1:35 AM. I'll go to bed in about 1,5 hours. Then I'll read for another hour, on a Kindle. When I put the Kindle away, I'll sleep until 10-11 AM (It's still Sunday then, of course.) My Sunday will be great, as was my Saturday.

And monday, hell starts again. The usage of computers, tablets, or reading of books before going to bed, or refraining from these things, does not make any difference.
I'm the exact same way, always have been. Even while pregnant I never fell asleep before 2 am. A front lit ebook reader would probably be less disruptive to my husband than the lit case I use now. More reasons for me to get the Aura
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #555
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:

And monday, hell starts again. (edit: Not to mention, that my Sunday will be short because of going to bed at 23:00, where my Friday is always very, very long.) The usage of computers, tablets, or reading of books before going to bed, or refraining from these things, does not make any difference.
You're just living in the wrong time zone! jk
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote