Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #46
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
can you download movies outside of iTunes?
can throw in your sd card from your camera to view your photos or video's?
can you store your music anywhere but iTunes to work with your iPad?
cany you view flash content from the web without the help from third party apps?
can you optimize your home screens?
can you utilize widgets?
I think the market has voted, and the votes say that these things are relatively unimportant.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I bought an iPod touch because no one made an Android touch. As soon as a comparably priced Android version hits the market, it's bye bye Apple. Removable battery, mSD card slot, and flash win out.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #48
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I think the market has voted, and the votes say that these things are relatively unimportant.
Every prediction I've seen by industry analysts is that Android will take over the tablet market just like it's taking over the phone market. So, I don't think all the votes have been counted yet.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #49
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I bought an iPod touch because no one made an Android touch.
I bought one because I liked the ecosystem. But my phone will be an Android. I can get a better monthly package on an Android phone.

Best of both worlds.

Funny, I hear a lot about Flash not being on IOS, but all the sites I frequent (edit: on my iTouch) play videos just fine.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 05-18-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #50
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
take over the tablet market just like it's taking over the phone market.
Except it hasn't taken over the phone market. Its selling more than others, but it hasn't suppressed the sales of its closest competitors. No single Android model is outselling it's corresponding iPhone model.

Those are just words.

I think I read somewhere that they expect Windows Mobile to takeover the sales crown within the next half-decade.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #51
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Except it hasn't taken over the phone market. Its selling more than others, but it hasn't suppressed the sales of its closest competitors.

I think I read somewhere that they expect Windows Mobile to takeover the sales crown within the next half-decade.
Not taken over, taking over, it still has a way to go, but Android has huge momentum in the phone market. I don't see sales going anywhere but up.

I'm kind of doubtful about the Windows Phone predictions to be honest. MS's share of the phone market hasn't been going anywhere but down. As much as I love my Windows Mobile phone (which is an entirely different OS than Windows Phone 7) I don't have much confidence in MS and phones.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #52
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Android has huge momentum in the phone market.
The loyalty scores:

The article:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2...oid-others.php
Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 AM   #53
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
There's a lot of green there

I personally think the problem with Android tablets is that they tried to price them ala overpriced cell phones. Not gonna happen.

There's a killing to make in the $250-$450 range for a good android tablet.

I hate the giant ipod touch....er...ipad (no sd slot, no hdmi, no flash, I hate itunes) but even I'd buy an ipad if I wanted to waste $500 or so. They need to either offer a lot more (storage space, ports, etc) for the price, and they need to carve out a nice hunk of that sub $500 gadget range.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #54
RockdaMan
Banned

I think in the term we'll see two vibrant ecosystems.

Fanboys want winners and losers, but the businesses just want to make money. Apple is targetting a certain market, and as long as Google et all don't threaten that part, they don't care what they do in the other parts of the market.

Just like the PC market.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 AM   #55
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
notice he said yes with the camera connection kit you know this thing apple sells http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A and amazon sells it and rought 8 other retailers that i quickly found with a google search. but hey thats because they are all in on his lie.

im inpressed with android and some of apple stuff but man android fanboys are just as bad as apple fanboys. if your not willing to read the whole answer dont bother.

so the answer is in fact that you can read sd cards on the ipad with an adapter.
I did read his whole answer, and in response to the question his answer was "Yes". That was his entire answer, no mention of an adapter. Please read the posts in question before posting a knee-jerk half-assed response.

Of course, by the same token, according to you, I could honestly answer that yes, my car will do 200mph (so long as I buy the nitrous kit and uprated suspension etc...)
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #56
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I bought the iPad because I already had a lot of iOS apps from my iPod Touch---and because no other device did what I wanted for work, as easily. I tried Windows netbooks and they did not meet my needs for ease of use, instant on, all-day power and compatibility with other devices and workflows I had. It didn't have anything to do with being a 'fanboy.' Some people use a tablet as a toy, but some people have legitimate uses for them and are doing cool things. To say that since YOU don't have a use for it, it is therefore useless is really stupid and self-centered.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #57
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
don't know that I agree with that, that they are relatively unimportant. I mean you buy a tablet to be used as a multimedia device.

Let me ask you this if Apple came out with two iPads, one with the current connectivity features and another one with all of the above mentioned,offered them at relatively the same price, which one do you think would sell the most?

Just like the smartphone industry, it'll take at least 2 years for Android Tablet to make at large dent in the market. Apple has had a nice head start,

I say we both save this date and come back and revisit the market shar a year from now and see how it's going. Something tells me Apple still will have a large lead in the market share but it won't be the 90% it has now.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #58
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Back to the original topic, I think Android tablets are failing because they are too late. When someone sees my wife with her Kindle, they ask her if that's an iPad. When they see my friend with his Samsung Galaxy Tab, they ask how he likes his iPad. The iPad has almost become synonymous with "the tablet", at least among regular consumers.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #59
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Back to the original topic, I think Android tablets are failing because they are too late. When someone sees my wife with her Kindle, they ask her if that's an iPad. When they see my friend with his Samsung Galaxy Tab, they ask how he likes his iPad. The iPad has almost become synonymous with "the tablet", at least among regular consumers.
Failing? Maybe someone forgot to tell Asus they are failing, because they are having trouble keeping up with demand.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/18/a...#disqus_thread
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #60
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Maybe the right word is "struggling". Regarding Asus, we have no way of knowing how many they have sold and what the demand truly is. We also don't know how many they had at their launch. They may simply have underestimate the initial launch numbers. Whatever these numbers look like, they are not even competing with the iPad's numbers.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote