Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
luthar28
Enthusiast
luthar28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ONIX?

I'm with a small publisher (about 20 titles a year) and we have our stuff up on Amazon and we're trying to get into the Kobo store but they asked us whether our meta data is coming via Onix or Excel.

I don't even know what that means. I thought the meta data was embedded with the ePub. I googled it...but I have no idea what those pages are talking about either

Can someone direct me (or tell me) what this means?
luthar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Kobo uses a database to keep track of books. I would have expected them to be able to extract the data from the ePUB but it may be that for publishers that they want a more direct access to the information. You should really ask them. The Kobo section of this forum has more information on the Kobo database idea.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
You might find the following link helpful:

http://www.bookpublishingsoftware.com/web-onix.htm
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
luthar28
Enthusiast
luthar28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Kobo uses a database to keep track of books. I would have expected them to be able to extract the data from the ePUB but it may be that for publishers that they want a more direct access to the information. You should really ask them. The Kobo section of this forum has more information on the Kobo database idea.
Yeah, see that's what I thought, that they'd be able to use the data in the ePub. But you're probably right -- they have specific information they want and they want it formatted differently.

I'm going to post this in the Kobo section too. Thanks!
luthar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Probably the short answer is to use excel spreadsheets to submit your metadata. That's what we do.

Someday there may be an application that will be able to pull the metadata out of an epub and put it into ONIX, but I haven't heard of it yet. Probably, it makes too much sense.

Oh, and of course every distributor's excel format is slightly different. Why not?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote