Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #121
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
For those who are interested in Onyx : New Onyx Models based on Android are going to be launched soon:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...r-at-computex/
The First basic model is already launched in Russia:
http://www.palmstore.ru/index.php?cid=397&iid=7129
http://www.the-ebook.org/?p=18124#more-18124
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #122
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It looks awesome, Feher. I wonder if Sony, Amazon, or Kobo will produce anything similar this year.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #123
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
T2 has better developed unofficial software than T1...

Adds a lot of convenience to the original T2. Besides, as it becomes an open android, you can use the reader of your choice.
On T2, I read books with Cool Reader 3 built by jotas.
I've read of a lot of rooted T1s that have become irretrievably unstable after rooting. I presume the T2 has the same problem. I sold my T1 (unrooted) and bought a Nook STR which almost unbrickable. Root the T1/T2 at your own risk.

I'm doubtful (though hopeful) that any future Sony device will be worth rooting.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #124
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But it is difficult to notice. For me, the screens of T2 and of Aura look almost identical: the same hue / warmness of the white background, the same contrast. The difference in resolution is not very apparent in plain text at 20 points.

However, there is another problem with the glowing screen: cracks might develop in the light distributing layer. At least this problem was reported by hundreds of Nook Glowlight owners.
The problem you mention with the lighting system is restricted to the Nook Glolight. The Kobo Glo system is good, and the Aura light system is even.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #125
Rizla
Member Retired

The Onyx look nice in terms of Android support. It includes a no-flash refresh mode out of the box. Getting it to North America could be expensive...

The German Tolino Shine is also running Android 2.3 and has recently been rooted.

They both sport lighted screens.

I doubt I'll be buying the new Sony. I recently bought a Nook STR, and after rooting it and using it as an e-ink tablet, I don't want to go back to the pointlessly restrictive OSes of the major manufacturers. I may get an Onyx or a Tolino because of the front-light. I'll see. I'm okay with the Nook for now.
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #126
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
It includes a no-flash refresh mode out of the box.
It is the only reason why i am interested in buying another ereader.
I think that Sony might include this mode,too.
Is no flash refresh mode possible on rooted Nook STR? If yes, then it is a great news for me.

I wish to learn a new language where multitasking is needed. Constant flashes of the screen trouble me.

Edit:- Just saw that it is possible. I am reading about it

Last edited by Feher; 07-05-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #127
HoraceWimp
Enthusiast
HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Of course the T3 leaks today - I just bought a (used) T2 off eBay that gets delivered tomorrow
Hah! Me too, my first foray into ereader ownership was a second hand T2 off ebay that I got a couple of days ago which I have to say I’m really delighted with. I’m not too fussed though because I got it for a pretty sharp price.

So far I’ve been really impressed with it. It’s nice and light and works like a dream.

In my opinion Sony would commit commercial suicide if they don’t include a back light and a higher resolution screen in this new model as those are the two things missing from the T2 I have that I would have liked. Given the price I paid for mine however, I have no quibbles with value for money and I can quite happily live without them.

What looks to be a slightly thicker size of the new T3 I think rather suggests that those two things have been included. I just can’t think of why Sony would launch a new generation model (T2 to T3) without including a substantial upgrade to the previous version. I know the T1 to T2 was a pretty subtle change but that was more of a cosmetic market repositioning upgrade than the launch of a new model.

My only real criticism of the Sony are those buttons on the front. Whilst I think they’re an improvement over the T1, I still don’t think they’ve got them right. They’re too big, too prominent, too shiny and not tactile enough. In my opinion they need to be toned down in colour and made more tactile. A swop to smaller, matt black or dark grey buttons in a similar material to the casing housing would make the whole device not only more ergonomically pleasant to use but visually ‘cooler’ as well.

I just hope Sony will continue to make ereaders that will challenge Kindle/Amazon’s hegemony on the ebook and ereader market. Competition is good for consumers.
HoraceWimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #128
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
I have 6080 folders with 27000 books on one of my T1s.
I am a big reader, which in my case means that I purchase and read about 100 books a year. Occasionally I find a freebie, and I use the library as well, so maybe add in another 50/year. I can easily store and shelve over a decades worth of purchased or free downloaded books on my Aura.

I can't imagine ever being able to legitimately obtain 27,000 books unless I were to quit my job and spend my time on the hunt for every free book that it is possible to find. And even if I did that, I probably don't have enough years left in my life to read more than 10-20% of them.

Last edited by taming; 07-05-2013 at 09:52 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #129
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
I have 6080 folders with 27000 books on one of my T1s.
Sir, on PRS-T2 you can create a maximum of 99 folders (or shelves as we call them).
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #130
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
My only real criticism of the Sony are those buttons on the front. Whilst I think they’re an improvement over the T1, I still don’t think they’ve got them right. They’re too big, too prominent, too shiny and not tactile enough.
Let's hope Sony took some rubber instead of plain plastic for the buttons this time.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #131
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
It is the only reason why i am interested in buying another ereader.
I think that Sony might include this mode,too.
Is no flash refresh mode possible on rooted Nook STR? If yes, then it is a great news for me.

I wish to learn a new language where multitasking is needed. Constant flashes of the screen trouble me.

Edit:- Just saw that it is possible. I am reading about it
Sony aren't even going to let you root the device, never mind include a norefresh mode in Android. I'll hold out hope, but Sony is looking like a dead-end for rooting.

Yeah, you can run norefresh on the T1 (and the T2?). Hopefully you don't trash the thing rooting it.

I don't find the flashing bothers me that much. It did at first, not so much now, though I would like to have norefresh.

It is possible on the Nook, but I couldn't get it run consistently on my version of the firmware (1.2.0 I think). It actually worked a couple of times, but I gave up eventually.

They talk about installing a custom kernel, etc, etc. I can't be bothered. It does what I need. I might try again and get it working at some point. It would be nice, but it might impact battery.

If you're rooting a nook, you need to do some stuff to make the battery not get sucked up. The main thing is some process (cell standby?) that eats the battery. I deleted the apk and it was okay.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #132
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Sir, on PRS-T2 you can create a maximum of 99 folders (or shelves as we call them).
I have 949 shelves on my T1 and had over 2000 once when I accidentally used tags. Is the T2 that much different?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #133
medard
Wizard

I don't know. I tried that once accidentially, too. I did something wrong with Calibre. It wasn't possible to have more than 99 folders. I got a note on my PRS-T2 that I reached my limit.

Same with screensaver pics you can activate: 99 is the maximum.

I'm not sure anymore if that happened with firmware 1.0.03 or 1.0.05 (the latest one).
Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #134
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
My only real criticism of the Sony are those buttons on the front. Whilst I think they’re an improvement over the T1, I still don’t think they’ve got them right. They’re too big, too prominent, too shiny and not tactile enough. In my opinion they need to be toned down in colour and made more tactile. A swop to smaller, matt black or dark grey buttons in a similar material to the casing housing would make the whole device not only more ergonomically pleasant to use but visually ‘cooler’ as well.
The buttons on Sony's x50 line of readers were ideal to me. They were small enough that having them didn't really add much to the size of the reader and unobtrusive, yet gave you full control over everything.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #135
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I've read of a lot of rooted T1s that have become irretrievably unstable after rooting. I presume the T2 has the same problem. I sold my T1 (unrooted) and bought a Nook STR which almost unbrickable. Root the T1/T2 at your own risk.
I have both multiple T1s and T2s - all of them rooted - because I love them so much
They are absolutely stable.

However, 2 points:
1. There are various packages offered to extend the functionality of rooted T1 and T2. They do modify Sony software somewhat.
I am using only the best of them - AMR made by rupor. I don't know about the others, they might cause unstabilities.
2. I suppressed Sony indexing of the books and I am not using Sony native reader. I don't know if T1 / T2 would be stable if I did.
But the whole point in rooting them was so that I don't have to.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote