Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
I would like to recommend Lord Byron's Don Juan.

From Wikipedia:
Don Juan is a satiric poem[1] by Lord Byron, based on the legend of Don Juan, which Byron reverses, portraying Juan not as a womanizer but as someone easily seduced by women. It is a variation on the epic form. Byron himself called it an "Epic Satire" (Don Juan, c. xiv, st. 99). Modern critics generally consider it Byron's masterpiece, with a total of more than 16,000 lines of verse. Byron completed 16 cantos, leaving an unfinished 17th canto before his death in 1824. Byron claimed he had no ideas in his mind as to what would happen in subsequent cantos as he wrote his work.
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #32
RoccoPaco
Enthusiast
RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
I was thinking of something light-hearted for the holidays..... I nominate Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.

From Goodreads: Winner of the 1933 Femina Vie Heureuse Prize, COLD COMFORT FARM is a wickedly funny portrait of British rural life in the 1930s. Flora Poste, a recently orphaned socialite, moves in with her country relatives, the gloomy Starkadders of Cold Comfort Farm, and becomes enmeshed in a web of violent emotions, despair, and scheming, until Flora manages to set things right.
RoccoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #33
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'll use my third nomination to second Cold Comfort Farm. The one-star Amazon reviews are for the 'Americanized' version. I avoid 'Americanized' versions of any British book since I do not require a translation. Where can I be sure of purchasing an original edition?
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I'll use my third nomination to second Cold Comfort Farm. The one-star Amazon reviews are for the 'Americanized' version. I avoid 'Americanized' versions of any British book since I do not require a translation. Where can I be sure of purchasing an original edition?
You might not be able to purchase the UK version if all that is sold is the Americanized version in the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #35
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thirds to The Good Earth and Ethan Fromme, if either needs one.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #36
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Not sure where this comes from. If it exists it must've been set in the last year because Catch 22 was successfully nominated in Dec 2011.

I'm not necessarily against the rule as such as it doesn't sound totally unreasonable, but I just can't recall seeing it stated anywhere.
I may be wrong but I remember it somehow that Jon "forced" us to establish such a rule with all the contemporary books he proposed for the classic month. I'm sure Tom the Boss will clear it up for us.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moody View Post
I second Quo Vadis - some interesting suggestions so far, but the Roman and seasonal link make this very appropriate and hey I've never read a Polish book ( I think)!
Quo Vadis has been seconded and thirded, so you can have that vote back.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Thirds to The Good Earth and Ethan Fromme, if either needs one.
The Good Earth has already been thirded, so you have that vote back.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #39
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just to add to the I Robot links:

Amazon (US): http://www.amazon.com/I-Robot-ebook/...3486153&sr=1-5

It doesn't look like it's available from Amazon (UK) though.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Just to add to the I Robot links:

Amazon (US): http://www.amazon.com/I-Robot-ebook/...3486153&sr=1-5

It doesn't look like it's available from Amazon (UK) though.
It's odd that Amazon UK doesn't have I, Robot. Some UK libraries do have it in ePub so obviously, it exists as an eBook in the UK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #41
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
I’d like to nominate Flush by Virginia Woolf. It is a quasi-biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, written from the perspective of her cocker-spaniel! Looking at the world with bewildered eyes, he never quite understands what is happening to him. I am not a fan of dogs, usually, but this story broke my heart. Being a much easier read than some of her other writings, it serves a great introduction to Virginia Woolf. I have only read this in a translation so far, so I’d like to give the original a try.

Flush: A biography can be found in our Patricia Clark Memorial Library: IMP, LRF, PRC, and EPUB (in the Complete Works)
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoPaco View Post
I was thinking of something light-hearted for the holidays..... I nominate Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.

From Goodreads: Winner of the 1933 Femina Vie Heureuse Prize, COLD COMFORT FARM is a wickedly funny portrait of British rural life in the 1930s. Flora Poste, a recently orphaned socialite, moves in with her country relatives, the gloomy Starkadders of Cold Comfort Farm, and becomes enmeshed in a web of violent emotions, despair, and scheming, until Flora manages to set things right.
Cold Comfort Farm is hilarious. I'm out of nominations.

"There's something narsty in the woodshed."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
and..

Not sure where this comes from. If it exists it must've been set in the last year because Catch 22 was successfully nominated in Dec 2011.

I'm not necessarily against the rule as such as it doesn't sound totally unreasonable, but I just can't recall seeing it stated anywhere.
I'm not sure either. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me (again).

Anyway, the horse has left the barn.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #44
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I will provide the third for Cold Comfort Farm.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #45
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is that better? Now Tux is ready for Chanukah.
That's perfect, Jon. Well done!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote