Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur: An Intimate Study of Sherlock Holmes. 09 Oct 07

An Intimate Study of Sherlock Holmes was written by Conan Doyle for the January 15, 1918 issue of Detective Story Magazine. It is an interesting, although short, insight into Conan Doyle's thinking and his reactions to the fame that Sherlock Holmes gained.

If you have not already done so, download a copy of Harry's excellent Sherlock Holmes Omnibus.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc An Intimate Study of.prc (171.1 KB, 1111 views)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
I notice that FBReader shows a little square instead of quotes and apostrophes in this ebook and many others. I assume that you are using curly quotes and apostrophes? When you are creating an ebook, are you using the actual character, or are you using the HTML equivilent? If the actual character, could you try making a sample using the HTML version?

BTW, thanks a lot for this ebook. I love Holmes.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I just did a test. I used Amber Palm Converter to extract the HTML from this ebook. The quote characters were not the HTML tags. I changed a few double-quotes to “ and ” and then saved the HTML file. FBReader displayed the double-quotes just fine. I'm not surprised at this, as I have seen other programs besides FBReader not display the extended characters correctly, unless the HTML tags were used. I assume that this has something to do with trying to deal with the various code pages used by different languages. The HTML tags would be unambiguous, regardless of language or code page. The characters would not.

For reference, the HTML tags for single-quotes and double-quotes are:

‘
’
“
”

Last edited by jbenny; 10-09-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
I notice that FBReader shows a little square instead of quotes and apostrophes in this ebook and many others. I assume that you are using curly quotes and apostrophes? When you are creating an ebook, are you using the actual character, or are you using the HTML equivilent? If the actual character, could you try making a sample using the HTML version?

BTW, thanks a lot for this ebook. I love Holmes.
The way to fix the problems with FBReader would be to have BD create an FB2 file and then it will work fine with no odd characters,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
jbenny
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way to fix the problems with FBReader would be to have BD create an FB2 file and then it will work fine with no odd characters,
I wouldn't want to ask anyone to create yet another version, just for this problem. Using the HTML tags should take care of the problem in the MobiPocket version and probably any other version.
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
jbenny
Addict

While I'm on this subject, I use NoteTab Lite for converting text to HTML. It also has the ability to convert extended characters like curly quotes (and others) to the HTML tags for you. Very handy and the program is free.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you start a new thread and post one of your HTML files? I can have a go at loading it into Book Designer and generating a PRC file and reading it with FBReader and see what happens. Just please PM me with the link so I'll know where to find the file. Thanks!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote