Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Smile Documents To Go

Just wanted to mention that Documents To Go has been updated (finally) with full iPad support, including full screen size, "Open With.." ability and a lot more. I've been using this on my iPhone since it was released and am glad they finally released the iPad version. It is far better at word and excel compatibility than Pages and Numbers. Works just fine with google docs, box.net, dropbox, idisk even sugar sync.

pretty much ditching pages and numbers and going back to DocumentsToGo.

there is a basic and a premium version, and they are universal (buy once, run on ipads, ipods and iphones, another bonus over pages and numbers).
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
scottjl, my sister wasn't too thrilled with Keynote for iPad as a substitute for her Power Point stuff-how is their Power Point support?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i'm not a big power-point kinda guy.. i tend to write more on whiteboards when giving presentations due to the nature of my work. i've played around with the powerpoint functionality of D2G and haven't found it to be any less than keynote. i believe it doesn't lose as much formatting doing imports as keynote does. i use word and excel far more often. keynote does have a "slicker" ui though (so does pages and numbers for that matter).

if you have an existing document you'd like me to test out i'd be happy to import and then post up some screen shots (in D2G and keynote).
Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and get it...that is the problem with all these inexpensive apps-they are totally priced like great shareware (which I'm used to paying for)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books

D2G has a basic, and a premium version. you can purchase the basic version and then upgrade through an in-app purchase at the same end price. wish more apps were like that.
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Much prefer keynote to docs to go. I design 'decks' for a living as a trainer/presenter and the apple app is great but does take a fair bit of user time to get the hang off. But from a design point of view it's miles ahead with the type of tools for getting images and text lined up and looking great that are normally only present in higher end programs used for magazine creation.

However for the average used docs to go is probably easier as it's closer to PowerPoint in it's style and function.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Much prefer keynote to docs to go. I design 'decks' for a living as a trainer/presenter and the apple app is great but does take a fair bit of user time to get the hang off. But from a design point of view it's miles ahead with the type of tools for getting images and text lined up and looking great that are normally only present in higher end programs used for magazine creation.

However for the average used docs to go is probably easier as it's closer to PowerPoint in it's style and function.
The key (no pun intended) problem with Keynote (and the other iWork apps on the iPad) is the inability to export/save as MS Office format. If you're abel to work solely with Macs, it's no problem but if, like me, you're sharing docs with clients and others who use Windows, it's a big problem.

Hence the attractiveness of D2G.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
At least Pages has a 90% working MS Office export feature. Just sometimes it mess up some formats but generally the export in Word looks 100% the Same.

Numbers Miss this feature what is a shame and keynote i don't use.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote