Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Ingrid
Ingrid doesn't litterIngrid doesn't litter

Device: iPhone. Opus. Kindle 3 incoming...
Either a userbug or a problem with the generic Linux binary installer.

I'm not sure where I'm supposed to report problems with Calibre, but I'm giving this forum a try.

I was trying to install Calibre on my PC earlier today and got this fancy message:
Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"
Passord:
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt/calibre]:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 272, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 262, in main
  File "<string>", line 243, in download_tarball
  File "<string>", line 179, in __init__
ValueError: Terminal isn't capable enough -- you should use a simpler progress dispaly.
After that I tried fetching the download_linux_binary_installer manually, su-ed the shell and tried to run the script. This is the message I got:

Code:
# python download_linux_binary_installer
  File "download_linux_binary_installer", line 272, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "download_linux_binary_installer", line 262, in main
    f = download_tarball()
  File "download_linux_binary_installer", line 243, in download_tarball
    pb  = ProgressBar(TerminalController(sys.stdout), 'Downloading calibre...')
  File "download_linux_binary_installer", line 179, in __init__
    raise ValueError("Terminal isn't capable enough -- you "
ValueError: Terminal isn't capable enough -- you should use a simpler progress dispaly.
Then I tried to build the app from the source files, but got stuck trying to build convertlit. Which is where I'm at now, and thus I really want to use the generic binary.

Anyway, in regards to the binary installer I have no idea what the message I got meant. Which means I don't know how to fix it. Am I being stupid or is there's something wrong with the generic linux installer?

-Ingrid
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What terminal emulator are you using? In any case I foxed this bug, try it again.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Ingrid

Strange. I still get the same error. I tried running it in Yakuake, Konsole, Xterm and urxvt. I guess I could try logging out of X.org and give it a try in safe mode if you think it's the terminal emulator that's causing the problem.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oops forgot to restart apache, should be good now.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Ingrid

Now we're going somewhere. This is the output I got this time:
Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"
Passord:
Downloading calibre...
  File "<string>", line 280, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 270, in main
  File "<string>", line 257, in download_tarball
TypeError: not enough arguments for format string
What now?
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

sigh not my day, try it again
Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
Ingrid

I still get the same error as last time. Maybe it's about time to go get some sleep right about now. It's rather late in Pasadena now, isn't it?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm in the middle of struggling with a particulary obdurate string theory, so no sleep in my immediate future. Try it again, this time you'll get a different error, I promise
Old 07-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #9
Ingrid

Hey! You're still futzing around!

I wasn't able to copy the entire contents of the terminal output since tracking the progress of the download filled up the buffer, but here's the final output it gave me.
Code:
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
99%,
100%,
Extracting...
  File "<string>", line 280, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 273, in main
  File "<string>", line 219, in extract_tarball
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/tarfile.py", line 1139, in open
    return func(name, "r", fileobj)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/tarfile.py", line 1204, in gzopen
    gzip.GzipFile(name, mode, compresslevel, fileobj))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/tarfile.py", line 1183, in taropen
    return cls(name, mode, fileobj)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/tarfile.py", line 1047, in __init__
    self.name = os.path.abspath(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/posixpath.py", line 402, in abspath
    if not isabs(path):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/posixpath.py", line 49, in isabs
    return s.startswith('/')
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'startswith'
This is definitely going in the right direction. Just a few more lines to fix and you've nailed that bug! But seriously, shouldn't you rather be reading that string theory instead of procrastinating with me? I mean, by all means, this is fun (in a sort of twisted, nerdy kinda way, ) but that sounds like some nasty theory you have to plough through.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 AM   #10
Ingrid

I've got something more that might interest you. I manually downloaded the tarball from dev.mobileread.com and tried to unpack it (with XArchiver.) It gave me some errors and I thought the other errors might be related to them.

Code:
lots o'stuff...
itertools.so
readline.so
lit-meta
operator.so
calibre-parallel
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/Extensions/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/kernel/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/kernel/config/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/kernel/scripts/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/kernel/tests/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/kernel/core/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/util.py» with «IPython/kernel/core/util.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/ultraTB.py» with «IPython/kernel/core/ultraTB.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/kernel/core/config/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/magic.py» with «IPython/kernel/core/magic.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/error.py» with «IPython/kernel/core/error.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/kernel/core/tests/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/history.py» with «IPython/history.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/config/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/testing/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/util.py» with «IPython/testing/util.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/testing/tests/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/macro.py» with «IPython/macro.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/tools/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/tools/tests/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/external/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/Itpl.py» with «IPython/external/Itpl.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/gui/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «IPython/gui/wx/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/__init__.py» with «PIL/__init__.py»
mv: will not overwrite just-created «/home/ingrid/progs/calibre/_imagingft.so» with «PIL/_imagingft.so»

Last edited by Ingrid; 07-16-2008 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Fixed the [CODE] tag.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

wow there's something really weird about your environment. what distro are you on? the XArchive errors are caused by it trying to extract everything into one directory. Use the command

Code:
tar xvjf tarfile.tar.bz2
to extract the tarball.

Fixing these errors takes me like 5 mins and too much string theory makes Jack a dull boy
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #12
Ingrid

We wouldn't want you to go all "The Shining" on us from all that string theory. You better keep on playing with your Python scripts I think.

I'm running openSUSE 10.3 with KDE 3.5 at the moment. KDE has gone a bit schizo on me lately, but the CLI underpinnings are still running stable. The tar command fixed the unwrapping errors. So now I have a folder filled with python scripts I have no idea how to use. Yay.

I think I'm going to call it a night and come back fresh after a few hours sleep. I'll keep you updated on any progress or lack thereof.

Enjoy your physics books Kovid.