Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Page numbers........have I missed something?

When reading a mobi-format on my Kindle 3, the place mark along the bottom of the screen show the percentage read. This is taking me some while to get used to.

However, while reading, if I hit the "menu" button the new "window" shows my position as "page x of y".

So, the Kindle has the information. How can I replace the percentage shown on the reading screen with the page number info?

Thanks, you wizards!
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
How can I replace the percentage shown on the reading screen with the page number info?
Sorry, but you can't. It is what it is.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-08-2011 at 01:14 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Or, you could by sending a lot of emails requesting the feature to Amazon.com.
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yeah it sucks. I don't get why the put the percentage there at all, since there is a progress bar right underneath.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
It's cause you can change the font..... thus the page thing wouldn't make any sense. If you hit your menu button, the page number will come up.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Page numbers are pretty useless. I had a nook color and you could be on like page 12 for 3 or 4 pages. It was wierd.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
Page numbers are pretty useless. I had a nook color and you could be on like page 12 for 3 or 4 pages. It was wierd.
If you were using a large font or a book with weird spacing or something then the pages would be way off, as it should be.

I find the page numbers way more useful than a % or location gibberish and think if anything should take up space on the bottom it should be a page number.

I would prefer nothing on the bottom and possibly 2 more lines of text to read.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
I like it when page numbers reflect the "actual" page (as in reasonably close to the paper book page). That gives a good clue to estimate read time (I have a rough idea how fast I read different kinds of contents in paper books), and I can look up how many pages are left in the chapter and so on. I don't want that number to be changed when I change font size (I often change size while reading a book, due to good or bad "eye days").
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Thanks to all for your replies.

I understand the problems that may occur by changing the font size but am a bit bemused by the page number that appears when I hit the menu key. Does this number change as the font size changes? Unfortunately, I don't have my Kindle to hand to try it.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The page number is based on a particular version of the book - the Amazon site for that book will tell you the isbn for the book the page numbers are based upon.

There is a Calibre plugin (see their forum further down the forum list) that can estimate a page number for books where Amazon does not provide any. So font size will not change the page number that shows but if you use a large font, you will be on, for example, Page 23 for a number of "page forward button presses." A small font will change PAGE faster. It only shows when you press the Menu key.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm a big fan of the progress bar. Page numbers are nice too, but you have to press another button to see it and not all books support that feature. Obviously when you read a paper book, you know exactly how far along you are, and the progress bar seems like the best way to digitally represent that feeling.
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Paper has pages, digital devices don't, get used to it.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
Paper has pages, digital devices don't, get used to it.
As long as paper books exist, then it's useful to guage the size of an ebook by comparing its approximation of page numbers to a printed book. It's the one thing I miss by reading ebooks - I don't know if its going to be a substantial read or a slim jim (and yes, one day I'll get used to locations, but it's still not the same).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #14
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I also like to judge the 'heft' of a book before I start it, but I found it a small adjustment to get used to using locations for this. 2,000 and up is a 'thin' book, 5,000 is probably about average, and 8,000 is a doorstopper....
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:24 AM   #15
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
I also like to judge the 'heft' of a book before I start it, but I found it a small adjustment to get used to using locations for this. 2,000 and up is a 'thin' book, 5,000 is probably about average, and 8,000 is a doorstopper....
What would you call 21,000 locations (the Count of Monte Cristo, which I read earlier this year)? Maybe a brick?

Last edited by orlok; 04-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote