Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #331
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You *add* weight to Caecilia? Then it's going to be ridiculously fat, IMHO. It's just right as it is. Wish that all fonts had this weight. Caecilia Condensed is just a narrower version of Caecilia; but it could be that the Kindle narrows the actual Caecilia font by itself, instead of having a "real" condensed version.

Don't know; my ereader is one of the few devices for which I don't feel the urge to root, jailbreak or hack it I just read, and that's it.

Fonts / text display is the only thing I really care about. All other features (internet, twitter, facebook, cloud) could be left off, and I would still have bought it. It's a reader, for reading, not a tablet

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-30-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #332
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You *add* weight to Caecilia? Then it's going to be ridiculously fat, IMHO. It's just right as it is. Wish that all fonts had this weight. Caecilia Condensed is just a narrower version of Caecilia; but it could be that the Kindle narrows the actual Caecilia font by itself, instead of having a "real" condensed version.

Don't know; my ereader is one of the few devices for which I don't feel the urge to root, jailbreak or hack it I just read, and that's it.
:
Not fat at all just nice and dark and very readable. I have 3 sizes I am currently testing. I jailbroke my K4S it's expendable and grab the fonts from it. The Condensed version is a real font file but there is no difference from the regular version when you open them in Word and put them side by side they are identical. To get a condensed version I could add weight to I had to play around a bit but I got it very close and added more weight to make it easy to read. The line spacing is on three! As you can see if I put it at two it will be too close together. There got to be a way to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeModified.png
Views:	447
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	100363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Condensed Version.png
Views:	512
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	100364  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #333
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When adding weight, I'd expect that the margins around the letters will get smaller. That will give you less room for setting a small line spacing. With the normal Caecilia, setting the smallest spacing is no problem. I don't find it too dense. (I find more spacing to be too loose.)

If I'd be using a fatter Caecillia, it may be different of course.

Even though it's thinner than Caecilia, I like Palatino. The size is too big though: on theb same size settings, I lose 4 lines of text per screen, compared to Caecilia. Baskerville is okayish (problems with c and e, for me), but it's too small. It gains 4 lines per screen compared to Caecilia. Setting Baskerville one setting bigger, or Palatino one setting smaller, makes them just a tad too big or small for me.

Caecillia is just right in weight and size; the only thing it has against it is that it is not a beautiful font. It doesn't have the grace that Palatino and Baskerville have.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-30-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #334
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When adding weight, I'd expect that the margins around the letters will get smaller. That will give you less room for setting a small line spacing. With the normal Caecilia, setting the smallest spacing is no problem. I don't find it too dense. (I find more spacing to be too loose.)

If I'd be using a fatter Caecillia, it may be different of course.

Even though it's thinner than Caecilia, I like Palatino. The size is too big though: on theb same size settings, I lose 4 lines of text per screen, compared to Caecilia. Baskerville is okayish (problems with c and e, for me), but it's too small. It gains 4 lines per screen compared to Caecilia. Setting Baskerville one setting bigger, or Palatino one setting smaller, makes them just a tad too big or small for me.

Caecillia is just right in weight and size; the only thing it has against it is that it is not a beautiful font. It doesn't have the grace that Palatino and Baskerville have.
NO I test the non modified font the line spacing in the same. When you make a font smaller the line spacing is suppose to increase then you have to mod the metrics to fix that but this font seems to ignore those changes.

I agree Palatino is too big or wide. It's so light on my Kindle you barely see it. Baskerville renders so badly on the Kindle but it's a very sophisticated font. I'm surprise they went with it. I tried adding weight, shrinking it but it looks wrong no matter what I try. It could be that I am use to the fonts looking a certain way so they will always look off to me.

If you want to give Gentium a try you can PM me and I'll send it to you. It's a very nice font with old style appeal. It allows alot of words per page. All I did add a little bit of weight.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #335
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

The Kindle should have had more sizes; and fonts differ too much on the same setting.

For example, Futura 4 displays 6 (!) more lines than Caecilia 4, and therefore, it's too small for me. However, Futura 5 displays 3 lines less than Caecilia 4, and therefore it's too big. I would have liked a 4.5 setting....

For now, I'll stay with Caecillia, or maybe I'll "find" a professional font editor "somewhere" to amateuristically jack around with to see what I can do.... Fully expecting to uninstall it and return to Caecillia 4 again in a few days.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-30-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #336
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The Kindle should have had more sizes; and fonts differ too much on the same setting.

For example, Futura 4 displays 6 (!) more lines than Caecilia 4, and therefore, it's too small for me. However, Futura 5 displays 3 lines less than Caecilia 4, and therefore it's too big. I would have liked a 4.5 setting....

For now, I'll stay with Caecillia, or maybe I'll "find" a professional font editor "somewhere" to amaturistically jack around with to see what I can do.... Fully expecting to uninstall it and return to Caecillia 4 again in a few days.
Give the two sets of modified Charis SIL a go. They are very nice and they work quite well with KF8 and it's line height issue.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #337
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

This is why I've started resizing fonts. Never had a font size problem on my other Kindles. 6 is too big. 5 is near what I am use to. 4 is too small on the PW.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #338
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I've always wanted is instead of having fixed font size selections where they may never be quite right, I've wanted to be able to put in a number to specify the font size I want. That way, I can have any font size I want and it will be right for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #339
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

What did you modify with regard to Charis SIL, and what software are you using? If I'm going to modify something myself (mainly, add some weight), it'd probably be Trebuchet or DejaVu Serif.

A font size setting using a number, and uploadable fonts should be default on any ereader. Many older ones actually had this (or at least partly), such as the mentiond Cybook Gen3.

I have a feeling that I'm just stuck: gotten used to Caecilia 4 on my Touch, and now everything else will look "wrong" in the end. Just like the PW light: it's stuck on setting 13 when at home, in my usual two reading places. 12 is already too dark, 14 too bright. If I'm in a different spot with more or less light, I'll modify the brightness in such a way that the Kindle looks the same (with regard to overall brightness) as if it was at 13 in my usual spot.

Stuck I say, stuck!

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-30-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #340
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What did you modify with regard to Charis SIL, and what software are you using?
I've made two versions of Charis SIL. I;ve upped the weight so it looks better in low light. Also, I've decreased the line spacing. The Compact version has a tight line space and the Modified has a looser line space. This is so the line space for KF8 would not be so big. And it works very well. Also included are smallcap versions to go along in case you want to embed.

The software used is some version FontCreator.

Quote:
A font size setting using a number, and uploadable fonts should be default on any ereader. Many older ones actually had this (or at least partly), such as the mentiond Cybook Gen3.
I don't know of any Reader that allowed a font to be sized by typing in a number.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #341
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

OK, I'll check out the Compact version and see how it compares to Caecilia.

The Gen3 did not let you put in numbers, but the settings were actually equivalent to font sizes. So one setting would compare to "Font size 8 at such and such dpi", then the next size would be comparable to size 9. I don't remember the exact details; I only had that reader for two months.

edit: I've just tried Charis Compact. It looks nice, but it's smaller than Caecilia 4. A comparison:

Charis SIL Compact is still thinner than Caecilia.
Charis SIL Compact 4 vs Caecilia 4 gains 6 lines on screen.
Charis SIL Compact 5 vs Caecilia 4 loses 2 lines on screen.
DejaVu Sans 4 vs. Caecilia 4: gains 2 lines on screen, but is thinner than Charis SIL Compact, and WAY thinner than Caecilia.

I have a feeling that a heavier version of DejaVu Serif or a somewhat bigger version of Charis SIL Compact (so that Charis SIL Compact 4 has the same amount of lines on screen as Caecilia 4, or maybe 1-2 lines extra) would do the trick. Also, I'd like to try an even heavier and somewhat bigger version of Charis SIL Compact.

I've downloaded and installed the evaluation version of FontCreator. It runs for 30 days: enough to jack around a bit. Could someone point this font-n00b into the correct direction, on how to quickly add some weight to a font, and how to adjust the size?

Strange that I'm now fiddling with fonts. In the "old days", I'd just pick up a book, decide after a page that the font was fine or crap, finish the book, and then move to the next one. To be honest, Caecilia 4 is quite perfect for my needs, except that it's not "elegant" or beautiful or elegant. (Charis, DejaVu, and also Trebuchet look "better", but not necessarily more readable.) While reading paper books, I'd have loved to have every book printed in Caecilia 4; it would be a great improvement over many paperbacks I have. And here I am, still trying to find an "even more better" font.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #342
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Katsunami did you try Charis SIL with a KF8 eBook? You'll notice the line spacing to be so much better then with Caecilia. The Compact may or may not be too tight, but the Modified should be good if the Compact is too tight.

If you don't know if you have a KF8 eBook, convert any eBook to AZW3 with Calibre and try that one.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #343
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

The Compact font seems fine as it is, using the mobi format. It's just that it's somewhat smaller than Caecilia, on the same setting.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #344
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Compact font seems fine as it is, using the mobi format. It's just that it's somewhat smaller than Caecilia, on the same setting.
What size do you use with Caecilla? I can try to make a version of Charis SIL that matches or is close.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #345
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

I use Caecilia 4.

You could also point me to the settings responsible for size and weight, and I'll happily try myself. Would have already, if I weren't such a noob at front creation