Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #346
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Quick question. I just bought a book on Amazon.

I have the latest versions of Calibre, the KindleUnpack plugin and Alf's tools.
The unpack creates the new files and I can open the epub in the viewer, but I cannot open it with ADE. All I get is the cover and blank pages. It also won't open on my Sony reader.

Now I will admit to using ADE 1.7.2, because of so many past issues with upgrades and I don't use it for reading.
Would that be why I can't open the epub?

If I convert the original azw3 to epub, everything works as expected.
I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, just not sure what that is!

Thanks for your work on the plugin and I hope to be able to use it!!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #347
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There is no guarantee that Kindleunpack will create an ADE-compliant epub from an AZW3. Especially if the AZW3 book wasn't created from an ADE-compliant epub in the first place (or if it was even created from an epub at all).

Standard advice is to open the epub that results from using Kindleunpack with an epub editor (calibre-edit or Sigil) and edit it to make it compliant with ADE's needs.

Some AZW3's are quite full of ... well ... crap. And KindleUnpack will happily bundle up its extracted contents into a crappy epub.

Good luck!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #348
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Wow, no kidding!! I opened it with Sigil and got an error that the html files are not well formed. It runs a fix and there's just one xhtml file for the whole book and folders for audio, video and lots of other useless stuff.

When I looked at the Calibre conversion in the editor, it has multiple html files, but a check still shows lots of invalid id warnings. Even running a check on the azw3 file in editor shows errors, including file size too large.

Guess I should be glad I can read it at all!

Thanks!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #349
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that sounds like a classic case of one big html file being used to create the kindlebook originally.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #350
Cucaper
Cucaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
error updating KindleUnpack The plugin 0.81.2

Bug description:
calibre, version 2.41.0
ERROR: Fallo en la instalación del complemento: Ha ocurrido un error al instalar este complemento y a continuación se desinstalará. Por favor, publique el mensaje de error que aparece en los detalles de más abajo en la conversación del foro para este complemento y reinicie calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/dialogs/plugin_updater.py", line 712, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 388, in add_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 53, in load_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 187, in load
File "lib/python2.7/zipfile.py", line 770, in __init__
File "lib/python2.7/zipfile.py", line 811, in _RealGetContents
BadZipfile: File is not a zip file
Cucaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #351
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That says the downloaded plugin was corrupted. Try redownloading it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #352
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Just wondering whether its possible to get the standalone script running on Android? There is QPython for Android...
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #353
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Maybe, but shouldn't you be asking that on the thread for KindleUnpack itself, rather than the thread for the calibre plugin that lets you use KindleUnpack from within calibre?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #354
Almo
Almo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hey guys, I downloaded Calibre and the kindleunpack plugin, everything seems to be in order but I still can't convert my AZW4 files to pdf and the unpack plugin doesn't give me the option when selected. Can anyone tell me which step I've missed?
Almo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #355
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almo View Post
Hey guys, I downloaded Calibre and the kindleunpack plugin, everything seems to be in order but I still can't convert my AZW4 files to pdf and the unpack plugin doesn't give me the option when selected. Can anyone tell me which step I've missed?
Removing DRM with Alf's tools?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #356
Almo
Almo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Removing DRM with Alf's tools?
Yes, so far no luck
Almo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #357
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You'll have to master that step first (and we can't offer any detailed DRM-removal help, unfortunately). KindleUnpack only works with drm-free books.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #358
PiotrK
PiotrK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hi,

I'm using KindleUnpack to split "joint" mobi files (so I can change ebook title).

The problem is that after splitting, ebook formatting is different - ebook was justified before and is not after. Who knows what other (formatting) changes were done?

Is that normal, and how to get best effects (ultimately, I want to solve my problem - can't change title(metadata?) of joint mobi files)?

Thanks
PiotrK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #359
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The problem is that after splitting, ebook formatting is different - ebook was justified before and is not after. Who knows what other (formatting) changes were done?
Splitting doesn't try to do ANY formatting. It's simply (well, OK... not really simply) splits the binary container into two parts. Now, that doesn't mean that KindleUnpack isn't at fault, here, but only that its splitting function has no integral format parsing/altering routines.

Some preliminary questions would be:
  • The joint-mobi ebook was justified before when viewing it on what?
  • Are both resulting Kindlebooks not justified after splitting, or just one (again, viewing on what)?
  • Was the original joint mobi an untouched product of Kindlegen/Kindle Previewer or something else?

For the record: I'm not seeing any changes in justification after splitting any Kindlegen/Previewer-produced joint mobis -- in either the KF8 or mobi-only results.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-23-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #360
PiotrK
PiotrK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Some preliminary questions would be:
It's possible that mobi part of joint mobi does not have justification, and azw3 part does have it. So when I send joint mobi to amazon, it sends azw3 part to my kindle reader, so justification is present.

So AFAIK it's not a problem with KindleUnpack, as I originally suspected.

There are some more details here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1532161

To quote key points:
- can't send azw3 by mail
- sideloading directly to kindle does not put it in Amazon Personal Documents
- split mobi does not have justification
- can't change title in dual-mobi (in azw3 part I suppose)

I know this is not directly related to KindlUnpack, but if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
PiotrK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi