Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Bikerdr - John Grisham is represented by the Gernert Literary Agency in New York. You might try sending a polite letter to them expressing your frustration in being able to buy his books in your preferred format.

According to their website, this is the contact email address to contact concerning publication rights of his work

http://www.thegernertco.com/rights.htm
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Bikerdr - John Grisham is represented by the Gernert Literary Agency in New York. ...

http://www.thegernertco.com/rights.htm
Thanks
A (polite) frustration letter has been sent, where I requested that they lift the geo-ban off of Europe.

I think I'll start to use the term "Geobanned" instead of "Georestricted" books.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #18
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK,
So, I sent this email to The Gernert Company on the 10th Nov. 2010:
Quote:
Hello,

As an avid reader and seaman, I've found the eReader and eBooks
extremely convenient to lug around worldwide as opposed to dragging
heavy paper books about.

My frustration here is the newly released book by John Grisham, which
I've found out you are the electronic publisher of.
All of the eBooks authored by John Grisham is unavailable in Europe
except UK. And since I do not reside neither in UK nor in US, I'm not
able to buy any of the books by John Grisham.

I'm particularily interested in "The Confession" in Amazon/Kindle
format. The eBook is available for UK and US residents via Amazon,
but not elsewhere in Europe.

I would hereby request the geographical restriction to be removed
from John Grishams eBooks.

Best Regards,
I have patiently waited now for two full weeks and there has been no response whatsoever.

Today, the 25th Nov. 2010 i sent them this email:
Quote:
Hello,

Two weeks ago I sent you an email regarding Geographical Restrictions on ebooks.
I have not received any response from you or your company about this issue.
The request I made was to have the georestriction lifted from ebooks by John Grisham as none of his ebooks are available in Europe except UK.
And, as I do not live neither in UK nor in US I am not able to buy ebooks by John Grisham.

Since, in the two weeks passed, that I have not received any response, nor seen the georestriction lifted, should I interpret this into the fact that you as a company and John Grisham as author have no interest in selling ebooks to Europeans?

Best Regards,
It's a shame that publishers and authors just give a rat's a*s and sh*t in their customers. Hope my little boycott of all Grisham-related products (dt-books, DVD's, BRD's and such) will count as a wallet vote.
Of course, I'll also boycott other authors/publishers who restrict me from legally buying their products.

PS! I actually got a "response" from The Gernert Company immediately today, stating that the company is closed during Thanksgiving and will open on Monday. (Not a very helpful response though).
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
winwintoo
winwintoo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post

It's a shame that publishers and authors just give a rat's a*s and sh*t in their customers. Hope my little boycott of all Grisham-related products (dt-books, DVD's, BRD's and such) will count as a wallet vote.
Of course, I'll also boycott other authors/publishers who restrict me from legally buying their products.

PS! I actually got a "response" from The Gernert Company immediately today, stating that the company is closed during Thanksgiving and will open on Monday. (Not a very helpful response though).
I am also a Grisham fan, but "The Confession" was not a "thriller" and was actually pretty boring. I managed to get the eBook the first day, but it wasn't holding my interest, so I thought I could listen instead so I bought the audio version. I listened to the whole thing, but was bored to tears.

Don't get me wrong, the subject matter had my blood boiling, but I just couldn't get interested in any of the characters.

Margaret
winwintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
OK,
So, I sent this email to The Gernert Company on the 10th Nov. 2010:

I have patiently waited now for two full weeks and there has been no response whatsoever.

Today, the 25th Nov. 2010 i sent them this email:
Thanks for lobbying on this. It may seem like a shot in the dark (or a cry from one), but these letters do make an impact. It seems frustrating now, and may not do anything for you in the short-term; but without these emails things will take longer to change.

In Canada, Louise Penny's e-books are generally not available ... never mind she's a Canadian and publishes her works in paper and audio ... but the e-books are stuck in legal hell. In the US, of course, her books are available 24/7 for purchase and download. I've been raising a gentle fuss and the tide is slowly turning.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #21
Snibborg
Snibborg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'll not be buying another Grisham book until his quality comes back up. The Associate was rubbish. It was just a lazy remake of the Firm without the drama.
Snibborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
winwintoo
winwintoo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snibborg View Post
I'll not be buying another Grisham book until his quality comes back up. The Associate was rubbish. It was just a lazy remake of the Firm without the drama.
And The Confession was a feeble attempt to move The Innocent Man into the fiction section of the bookstore.

He's had some good books, but this last effort falls short.

Margaret
winwintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer

Personally, it was not the one book in particular that was/is of interest. The geoban was what annoyed me.
Anyway, I got an answer from ms Rebecca Gardner of "The Genert Company" just now.
She claimed that for some reason she hadn't received my first mail but still replied to my last one.
A fairly generic answer, but she gave me the UK publisher (Century), so I'll send a mail to them as well.
I'll keep you informed.