Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Guide Stones.

As I am into reading true mysteries, I find this one most intriguing.

I would like to know what the members of MR make of it, or if they have any theories.

The world is indeed a very mysterious place.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_ga_guidestones.htm

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
if it were something truly ancient and mysterious I would be interested. as it is... it seems to take a lot of tenets from Buddhism, others I'm sure as well. I didn't read enough of it, but if they want you to join find out if they ever played poker with L. Ron Hubbard and a few other sci-fi authors
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
We can ask Tom about them.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
if it were something truly ancient and mysterious I would be interested. as it is... it seems to take a lot of tenets from Buddhism, others I'm sure as well. I didn't read enough of it, but if they want you to join find out if they ever played poker with L. Ron Hubbard and a few other sci-fi authors

From what I gather there is absolutely nothing to join.

That bit of work must have cost quite a lot of money to produce. I don't think that it was made on a whim.

Who knows, as time goes by it might become a more popular subject to ponder over.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Some of the guidelines seem rather political; revolving around matters of debate in the US moreso than other countries, e.g. -

"Avoid petty laws and useless officials"

Most people would agree that'd be good, but I doubt it would make many peoples' shortlist for spiritual guidance outside the US.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
At least the 'North Pole' viewport will allow future ages to calculate roughly when the monument was erected, since the Earth's axis wobbles around - at least in astronomical time spans...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
The commute from BFE, South Carolina to Atlanta (where my Mom & Sister's families both live) takes us through Elberton, Georgia. On a whim, my Mom and I decided to take the detour to the guide stones, and we were sorely disappointed. They're just not that cool. The ugly khaki-colored geodesic dome homes of the surrounding neighbors are more interesting.

And much more interesting than both is Elberton High School's "Granite Bowl" football field. It's carved into the ground like a valley, with the school on one side, and the razor-wire topped fence of the county jail's recreation area on the other side. I assume they make the away team's fans sit next to the jail pen as a means of intimidation. All I know is that it makes me chuckle every time I drive by it.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
if it were something truly ancient and mysterious I would be interested.
It dates back to the ancient days of 1979.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
yeah, that just doesn't do anything for my "lets study ancient things!"

crystal skulls anyone?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

Mysteries do not have to be *ancient* to be mystifying.

Ancient crystal skulls are indeed a fascinating subject; they just didn't happen to be what I was questioning, nor asking for opinions about.

Cheers.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Some of the guidelines seem rather political; revolving around matters of debate in the US moreso than other countries, e.g. -

"Avoid petty laws and useless officials"

Most people would agree that'd be good, but I doubt it would make many peoples' shortlist for spiritual guidance outside the US.
According to that one we need to get rid of congress and the senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

From what I gather there is absolutely nothing to join.
No, but scrolling down the page there is lots of stuff they'd like you to buy.

Quote:

True. On the other hand though, as much as I love a good conspiracy theory, they are fun to read about and wonder "what if", but at the end of the day most of the people that write about them as frequently as some of the authors do come off as having only a light grasp on reality. Granted, some of what they say may be true but for the most part, if you compile enough information about one or more things you can make the data say almost anything you want it to.

They're fun to watch for a half hour or so on the discovery channel but you have to take them all with a large grain of salt.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:

Ancient crystal skulls are indeed a fascinating subject; they just didn't happen to be what I was questioning, nor asking for opinions about.

Cheers.
yes, but it attempts to tie itself into all sorts of "ancient mysteries"; the illuminati, the freemasons, the knights templar and so on.

it's just a bunch of hocus pocus put together by someone who got into a bit too much gymsum weed.

I'd rather deal with the JFK conspirators than a crowd like this
Old 09-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes, but it attempts to tie itself into all sorts of "ancient mysteries"; the illuminati, the freemasons, the knights templar and so on.
Yeah, it isn't a "mystery" when 30 years ago a guy pays someone to put up a display with all sorts of mystical mumbo-jumbo. Some rich (possibly mentally ill) guy with a ego big enough to think he had something profound to say to the world had it put up. Ho-hum.

This is a much more interesting recent "mystery" sculpture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptos
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Wow!

Let's get this clear. I did not state that I agreed with the premise; all I said was that it was a mystery.

Jeez.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Let's get this clear. I did not state that I agreed with the premise; all I said was that it was a mystery.
Yes, but to me, mysterious artifacts means "created by an unknown people from an unknown culture with an unknown religion for unknown reasons at an unknown time" (with some of those things partially known to some extent.) Not "made by specific craftsman X in the recent past on commission of an anonymous customer."

Sure, it is a "mystery"-- but on the same level and compellingness of mystery as wondering who spray-painted a badly-spelled ethnic slur on the highway overpass last night.