Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
TaurusWriter
TaurusWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Smile Nook for a Mac person?

Hello, and thanks for having me!

I was looking into buying a Color Nook--it sounds like what I want...an ereader with some "benefits". (no $$ for an iPad!) I travel quite a bit, it will be so much handier than carrying books around the airport. I have wifi most places that I go, so 3g is not important to me.

Looked at one at B&N and was very surprised at how heavy it was!!
Otherwise, it seems nice.

Went to Best Buy, and set off the alarm on every demo ereader...but there's no demo for Pandigital...so I couldn't compare them for size and weight.

I've never had an ereader--just read ebooks on my Blackberry. Everyone is talking about Android and hacking the Pandigital...not sure I am up for that. I don't know anything about Android, or hacking. All I know about computers is trying to keep my MacBook running, and I'm not sure what that's worth in this case.

please advise!!
TaurusWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusWriter View Post

please advise!!

well what is the question?

From what you describe the nookcolor should be okay for you.
Do you have any features you are looking for?
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I use a Sony PRS-650 with my Macbook with no problems at all and the Sony is very, very light. As a Mac person I have the expectation that everything should just work out of the box and, aside from installing software and registering accounts, the Sony did just that. Good luck in your search!
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
TaurusWriter

My question is: the Pandigital appears that it would be a good choice, though I have not physically used one. Does it require a great knowledge of Android and "hacking" and "rooting" to make it work as well as a Color Nook?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
My question is: the Pandigital appears that it would be a good choice, though I have not physically used one. Does it require a great knowledge of Android and "hacking" and "rooting" to make it work as well as a Color Nook?
The Pandigital Novel is very heavy for the size. It is 19 oz whereas the nook color is 15.8. And it is somewhat slow (unless 2D/3D graphics and DVM patches applied).

The nook color overall is a far better device. The current avg price for the PDN is $150. It would be worth spending the extra $100 for the nook color.

But if you manage to get a PDN for $60 at Kohl's, then flashing a custom firmware on it to unlock its tablet potential is pretty straight forward... only slightly more complicated than:
  • download the firmware
  • copy it to an SD card
  • insert the SD card into the PDN
  • power up device with powerButton+VolumeUp
...firmware flashed.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
TaurusWriter

Just went and bought a Nook Color!! I'm sure it will be awesome, can't wait to get it home!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Just went and bought a Nook Color!! I'm sure it will be awesome, can't wait to get it home!!
CONGRATULATIONS! I've had mine for close to a month now and love it. Last night, read in bed in the middle of the night as I could not sleep - it was nice to be able to read in total darkness w/o waking up the wife.
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote