Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Importing a U.S iPad to Scandinavia or wait for the Adam tablet

I've checked with a shipping company called JetCarrier (http://www.jetcarrier.com/), who operates in Denmark/Norway/Sweden, and for the iPad 16GB wifi edition plus the original case I would end up paying $780. This is including all costs (shipping, all taxes, custom works and delivery to Norway). They will order/buy it for you if you sign up for a 1 year membership, but then you would have to pay an extra $49.

The cost split down:
iPad: $499
case: $39
shipping to Norway: $70
Norwegian tax: $134
Jetcarrier provision: $37

Now Apple hasn't set a release date for the Norwegian market so if your an early adopter it might be worth the extra bucks.

I thought I would opt in for a preorder but now I'm not so sure. I just saw a Youtube video with one of the guys from Notion Ink, http://www.notionink.in, talking about the Adam tablet, http://www.notionink.in/adamfeature.php, and that it would be out in June. I could definitely wait until June if this is true.

thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
News today is that the Adam will launch in July. I would expect that it may slip a bit further, but not so far that you shouldn't consider whether the Adam might not be the better machine for you.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
The Ipad should be launching in the UK in late April, so if you can wait a couple of more weeks you may be able to save on some of the costs.

How much of a difference will have to be seen as official prices have not yet been announce yet.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The one thing making me lean towards the iPad is the app support. It seems more and more companies are hopping on the bandwagon wanting to develop apps for the iPad. This might be a dealbreaker since having good app support is as important as having a solid device.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Surely, the main thing is to work out what you want to do with a tablet and see which option best suits you e.g. for me reading comics will be an important use of any tablet I eventually buy and that probably ends up as a plus for a windows-based tablet due to the range of free options compared with an ipad or android-based tablet.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
The only problem I foresee is warranty support, until the device is sold in your area you would have to send it back to the US or the UK if you go there instead. I would then consider Applecare for extra support time as you could potentially lose a few weeks if it has to be sent back.

Once it is sold in your country all should be well.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad notion ink adam