Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Hi from rural Illinois!

I wanted to stop in and say "Hello!" and that I really appreciate all of the info I have been gathering from this site! I'm still in research mode before I make the final decision on which eBook reader I will go with, and everyone's comments have been very helpful! I've narrowed it down to the Sony (505 or 700), BeBook or Astak's EZ Reader.

I'm a displaced city dweller (think Green Acres) living in a barn under, well... transformation, homeschooling my daughter. As a home educator I have acquired lots of eBooks (my first experience with them) from various sources in PDF format. On first discovering eBook readers, my initial thought was that reading required a book in my hand for the full experience, and I brushed it off. Then I went on a trip with my totebag loaded with all of the books and magazines I might want to read. What a load! And suddenly an eBook reader sounded very interesting! And printing out all of those eBooks on PDF seemed like a real waste of paper! Well, I've gone on too long and the questions I still have will be better suited to other forums!

P.S. My 10 yr-old daughter thinks eBook readers are the coolest! I'm glad that companies are looking to capture the techno-tweens, teens and such!

Last edited by rebarnmom; 10-07-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typos
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome! Have you checked out some of the ebooks available for download here? There are quite a few classics that might fit into your curriculum.

BTW, I like your sunflower!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I wanted to stop in and say "Hello!" ...
Hellooooo and welcome!

Quote:
P.S. My 10 yr-old daughter thinks eBook readers are the coolest! ...
I have a 12 year old daughter who is a big reader . She's been eyeing my Kindle--I think she's going to have to have her own before too long
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Hello and welcome !
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi rebarnmom and welcome to the Forum. I got a Sony 505 back in January and really like it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't know where to post this, so I thought I'd add it to my intro.

In Oct. I joined MobileRead after many months of lurking.
In January, I finally got my Sony PRS-700 and love it!!!
Today we are leaving for our traditional mid-winter weekend get-away, and I'm not lugging a heavy totebag full of the books I want to read, because I have all my reading on my Sony 700!!! I'll probably still have my totebag, but this time it'll be filled with snacks and goodies!!

We're headed for Madison, WI and heart-shaped pizza from Rocky Rococo!
My favorite, which I first encountered in college at UW-LaCrosse. Why are such good memories tied to food?

I just want to thank y'all for making my load a lot lighter! And for all the fun and all the helpful advice, and for all the good free books I've gotten from this forum!!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
What part of the state do you reside? I grew up in the north-central part of the state in a small town called Marseilles (pop. 3,500).
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
I didn't know where to post this, so I thought I'd add it to my intro.

In Oct. I joined MobileRead after many months of lurking.
In January, I finally got my Sony PRS-700 and love it!!!
Today we are leaving for our traditional mid-winter weekend get-away, and I'm not lugging a heavy totebag full of the books I want to read, because I have all my reading on my Sony 700!!! I'll probably still have my totebag, but this time it'll be filled with snacks and goodies!!

We're headed for Madison, WI and heart-shaped pizza from Rocky Rococo!
My favorite, which I first encountered in college at UW-LaCrosse. Why are such good memories tied to food?

I just want to thank y'all for making my load a lot lighter! And for all the fun and all the helpful advice, and for all the good free books I've gotten from this forum!!
!!! Rocky's is the BEST pizza ever! Mr D's got re-built. They use the same recipes but they're made off-site. Not as good, but still the best donuts in town. (And I work at St Francis.)

Last edited by pshrynk; 02-13-2009 at 02:46 PM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
rebarnmom
Wizard

Oh yea! Mr. D's was awesome! Do they still have the Bodega?
LaCrosse was always God's Country!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Oh yea! Mr. D's was awesome! Do they still have the Bodega?
LaCrosse was always God's Country!
My wife and I ate lunch at the Bodega last weekend. It's smoke free now, if you can believe that!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
rebarnmom
Wizard

I'm glad to hear that the Bodega is still around! I'm sure so much has changed since I was last there. I was there from 1979-1984 (when I graduated) and went back up for a visit with my husband either 5 or ten years later. Can't remember.

We had our Rocky's heart-shaped pizza this weekend! The place was crazy, of course it was Valentine's day. After coming home after graduation, I found that they were going to be opening a Rocky's right there in my hometown! What timing! Unfortunately they closed their doors not even 10 years later, which I will neverunderstand. Our business alone should've kept them open! They got so accustomed to seeing us that they knew our order as "the usual". The place was always busy. I'll never understand why they had to close. It was a sad day!