Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
deltadon
deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: samsung Galaxy 2 7.0
external storage in Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0?

Hi,

This isn't an ereader question per se.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and have added an 8gb sd external memory card.

The only user manual provided by Samsung is a quick start guide which is very basic.

I have downloaded and read the online user's guide. It tells you how to insert the card and how to format it.

How do I add a file to the external memory card? How do I access the external memory card?

I guess I want to know how to use the external memory card I added.

I know this is a nice tablet. It would be grand if Samsung would tell me how to use it!

Thank you.
deltadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

Hey deltadon
Check the File Manager app, it will let you browse and manage files stored in external storage.
Android platforms will automatically scan and show media content in galary and music apps you use, but if you wish to access the files and folders then you must try File Manager.
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
If it's like my phone look for the external_sd folder that's your sd card, you can move a lot of apps to the card if you want in settings applications or using an app likes Apps 2 SD.

I generally use wifi Explorer to move files about from my PC you could do the same with kies air or something like airdroid.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Open the File Manager app, go to home, then click the up button at the top. Look for ExtSdCard. If you see something called sdcard, that's the built in memory for the Tab, not the memory card you put in.

Because the Tab is Ice Cream Sandwich, you can't move apps to the external memory like on older versions of Android. They get installed to the built in memory and that's where they stay. The external memory card is good for putting files on to free up memory - things like movies or music or docs, etc.

To transfer things to the Tab, you can use the Kies from your computer or some over the air apps. I use Dropbox a lot to store and transfer files. Also and OTG (On-the-go) adapter is handy for transferring with a USB flash drive. It has the Samsung plug on one end and a USB on the other. I never use Kies anymore - just Dropbox (with wifi) or the OTG.

There's lots of OTG adapters out there - on Amazon or ebay, etc. The OEM Samsung one is pricey but you can find cheaper ones that work just as well. I bought some at Fry's if it's near you.

https://www.google.com/search?source...PmUSYkwc&pbx=1

Last edited by NoName; 01-04-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Add link
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
Open the File Manager app, go to home, then click the up button at the top. Look for ExtSdCard. If you see something called sdcard, that's the built in memory for the Tab, not the memory card you put in.

Because the Tab is Ice Cream Sandwich, you can't move apps to the external memory like on older versions of Android. They get installed to the built in memory and that's where they stay. The external memory card is good for putting files on to free up memory - things like movies or music or docs, etc.

To transfer things to the Tab, you can use the Kies from your computer or some over the air apps. I use Dropbox a lot to store and transfer files. Also and OTG (On-the-go) adapter is handy for transferring with a USB flash drive. It has the Samsung plug on one end and a USB on the other. I never use Kies anymore - just Dropbox (with wifi) or the OTG.

There's lots of OTG adapters out there - on Amazon or ebay, etc. The OEM Samsung one is pricey but you can find cheaper ones that work just as well. I bought some at Fry's if it's near you.

https://www.google.com/search?source...PmUSYkwc&pbx=1
I move apps to my sd card on my Galaxy Galaxy SII phone all the time and it's Ice Cream Sandwich... Just get the "app2sd" app from the Play Store and the app will allow you to identify which apps can safely be moved and then allow you to move them from within the app.
Also to move files, add a file manager app like "es file explorer" and you will be able to see them on the "sd" (which is the tablets memory) and move them to the extsd (which is your sd card you added). I don't use Kies at all, not with either of my Samsung devices...
Doesn't your tablet support mtp? When I connect my phone or Galaxy 10.1with the USB cable, they get detected on my Windows 7 pc and I can transfer files directly onto either one.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-05-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I move apps to my sd card on my Galaxy Galaxy SII phone all the time and it's Ice Cream Sandwich... Just get the "app2sd" app from the Play Store and the app will allow you to identify which apps can safely be moved and then allow you to move them from within the app.
Also to move files, add a file manager app like "es file explorer" and you will be able to see them on the "sd" (which is the tablets memory) and move them to the extsd (which is your sd card you added). I don't use Kies at all, not with either of my Samsung devices...
Doesn't your tablet support mtp? When I connect my phone or Galaxy 10.1with the USB cable, they get detected on my Windows 7 pc and I can transfer files directly onto either one.
I have both the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and 7.0 and neither will allow moving apps to the external sd card. The option just doesn't show up like it used to when I used it on Froyo (which is what I had before). My HTC phone which came with ICS wouldn't allow moving apps either but after updating to JellyBean, I can now move apps. On the Tabs when you try to move an app in App2SD, in the storage section where it has Clear Cache and Move buttons, only my phone has a Move button (after update). The 2 Tabs just have an empty space.

I also tried Gemini App Manager to move apps to the SD card. It does has the option and goes as far as saying "Moving:! Be Patient". But it does nothing at all - just stays at 0%.

I agree that using a file manager app is better than using the bult in file manager, but moving files is possible in the built in file manager. When I use the OTG adapter with a flash drive, it automatically opens the File Manager (built in) and I move things from the flash to where ever I want. You can probably get by without installing another file manger app.

Yes, I can connect to the computer with the USB cable and transfer that way. I just choose not to and find it easier with the OTG. Or Dropbox. (My desk is a mess and my computer is old and slow to think about what it's doing.)

Is your Galaxy Tab 10.1 the first or second version and can you move apps to the SD on it?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
My tab is the older model, no sd card but I do have 32 gb of memory. I defer to you for the Tab 2 info, it appears to work differently from their phones, which seems odd considering it is the same ICS version of Android...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-05-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
NoName
Zealot

With both Tab 2s there seems to be enough memory that I don't have to move apps. But I keep music and movies on my SD card. Have yet to find time to watch the 30 or so movies I have on the 7.0. I always seem to read instead. Or fall asleep.

ICS was somewhat different on my HTC phone vs. the ICS on the Tabs. While the update to JellyBean did allow it to move apps (which I really don't need to do), I wish I had never updated because bluetooth voice dialing hasn't worked right since. 1 month of total frustration now.