Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #31
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
These are quite expensive on Amazon... $11.99 for every ebook of his available to me...

Do you have another source for this series?
No, they are about the same on Sony and Kobo.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #32
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
Ellis Peters "Cadfael" series, about a monk who's a medieval sleuth, is delightful, and a set of books that I often return to. She also wrote historical fiction under her real name, Edith Pargeter.
Strongly agree. I read every one of these and thoroughly enjoyed them. Ditto The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #33
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I ran across a new book today based on the life of Abraham Lincoln that looks interesting.

I see that it has 100% rebate now, too!
How does this work?
https://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b...me-Smith/?si=0

Can I read this on a Kindle 2? It's $20 with a $20 "micropay" rebate. Does that mean I am out $20 today? And have a credit at the store for use later?

Thanks! I've been struggling to figure out if there is actually anything at fictionwise for me as a Kindle 2 user.

(Note: The Amazon Kindle edition is $11.99 outright.)

Last edited by SensualPoet; 03-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #34
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
How does this work?

Can I read this on a Kindle 2? It's $20 with a $20 "micropay" rebate. Does that mean I am out $20 today? And have a credit at the store for use later?

Thanks! I've been struggling to figure out if there is actually anything at fictionwise for me as a Kindle 2 user.

(Note: The Amazon Kindle edition is $11.99 outright.)
Yes, that is how it works. You pay full price up front and receive it all back in micropayment credits. Be aware though that Fictionwise prices can be quite high. The book is $20 there and only $10 at Amazon. (I'm not sure where you got $11.99, I see $9.99). For me, it doesn't pay to shop at Fictionwise unless they are having one of their sales.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
How does this work?

BTW: That link goes to an ebook you can NOT read on the Kindle... unless you remove the DRM and convert it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:38 AM   #36
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
The Flashmen series is superb. I've read all the books several times. Last time around, I got them in batches of four at a bargain £9.99 a batch. I too wish they were available in ebook. I'd happily read them all again during my upcoming hospital stay. Happy reading. Neil
I found out last night that some of them are available as ebooks. W H Smiths has the first, Flashman, but it is geographically restricted. Waterstones has Flashman as an ePub and not geographically restricted, so I bought it.

While I am enjoying the story again I think the formatting is quite poor. There are wide left and right margins, the many footnotes are in full size font so they require a bigger line space, and there are frequent typos. I wish they had you to edit them.

Nevertheless I am glad to have the ebook, and hope to get round to correcting the format problems in due course.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #37
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
... (I'm not sure where you got $11.99, I see $9.99). For me, it doesn't pay to shop at Fictionwise unless they are having one of their sales.
Because SensualPoet is in Canada. Amazon adds 2 USD to the price when you buy from outside USA. It is assumed the 2 USD is wireless download fee (Amazon has never publicly stated it is). For me, buying from within EU, VAT is also added, so Amazon rarely has the best price.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #38
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***I think the formatting is quite poor***

I'd forgotten about the footnotes linking to important and sometimes quite full historical notes at the back of the book, Alex. They're vital and make the Flashman books even more satisfying. You'd think a publisher dealing with an author and series as big as this would take the little time necessary to be sure they work smoothly in any format. Big retailers, in fact, should insist because they'll catch the blame from disappointed ebook readers. Hope it doesn't spoil the experience for you. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #39
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post

If you like action and suspense, than you can resort to The Pillars of the Earth, a historical novel by Ken Follett published in 1989 about the building of a cathedral in a fictional location in England, in the middle of the 12th century. Follet established himself as an excellent writers of thrillers. It shows.
And there's a sequel, World Without End, set two centuries later, which is equally good.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #40
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Shakespeare had a lot of good historical plays. I like Julius Caesar a lot, personally.

Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities is also great.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #41
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Try James Clavell's Shogun. I just finished it and am now wondering about reading more. Shogun is about an english pilot [in Elizabeth I's time I believe] being shipwrecked in Japan.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #42
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Try James Clavell's Shogun. I just finished it and am now wondering about reading more. Shogun is about an english pilot [in Elizabeth I's time I believe] being shipwrecked in Japan.
As in a ship's pilot (had to read 'pilot' twice before I got it ) And the very last years of the reign of Elizabeth I.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #43
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
"The Name of the Rose" has been mentioned several times. However, I don't see it as an eBook.

It is easy to find on the darknet. Is there a legitimate eBook version in English?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #44
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
And there's a sequel, World Without End, set two centuries later, which is equally good.
If I would have to pick two of my favorite historic fiction books these two would be the ones. Ken Follet outdid himself on these two.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #45
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

I would advise very strongly two Bernard Cornwell series:

1 - Sharpe - mostly his passing by the peninsular wars, it’s amazing and it happens on my own land(!), more info in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard...Sharpe_stories

2 - Starbuck Chronicles - a northern fighting for the south in the civil war… pitty it’s just four books… hope he will come back to this one, more info in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard...uck_Chronicles

All this and other series from the author can be discovered in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Cornwell

Enjoy,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote