Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Soft Science Fiction

My wife wants to read some science fiction that isn't too heavy on the science. She's a smart girl, but if she read Sundiver by David Brin for example, she would skip whole pages on the details of the sun.

I guess what she's looking for is soft sci-fi. Do you know what I mean? Can anyone make any recommendations?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
asimov
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Liaden Universe Stories. I'd start with Agent of Change or Conflict of Honors.
http://www.webscriptions.net/p-595-agent-of-change.aspx
http://www.webscriptions.net/p-594-c...of-honors.aspx
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
I've just finished Stardoc by S L Viehl. It's an intersting read that fits the soft sci-fi description. Also try works by Kristine Kathryn Rusch...
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i would recommend René Barjavel, although i do not know whether he is available in ebooks. his books are quite powerful and my experience is that many elements of them will remain with you for years afterwards. not much science to speak of, it's all about the story.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Liaden Universe Stories. I'd start with Agent of Change or Conflict of Honors.
http://www.webscriptions.net/p-595-agent-of-change.aspx
http://www.webscriptions.net/p-594-c...of-honors.aspx
Second the motion. A great place to start.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Anything by Ray Bradbury.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Hope I remember the names well:

Planet of adventure - Jack Vance
The moon is a harsh mistress - Heinlein
The puppet masters - Heinlein

Women in general really don't seem to hit it off with SF don't they ??!!
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Anything by Ray Bradbury.
Bradbury is too wierd for me to recommend him to anyone, I'm afraid!

I'd suggest Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" books. A great read, not too "techy", and very, very funny indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDecraene View Post
Hope I remember the names well:

Planet of adventure - Jack Vance
The moon is a harsh mistress - Heinlein
The puppet masters - Heinlein

Also "Friday" by Heinlein
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Everything by Jack Vance is focourse very good. Louis McMaster Bujold is probably suitable. Other recommende authors in this context is John Scalze, Julian May, C.J. Cherryh, Nancy Kress, Sheri Tepper, Liz Williams, Connie Willis, ...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Quote:
I'd be curious to see if that was actually the case--It seems to me that girls *tend* to be more into fantasy and guys sci fi... but it's certainly not absolute.

Is she looking for sci-fi as opposed to fantasy? I have a lot more fantasy suggestions than sci fi
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
CJ Cherryh writes both styles, fantasy and fiction. She masters the language masterfully and cooks up intriguing stories. Alas, she is also accused of turning around the pot with long descriptions. But I like her for her building of worlds.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodora View Post
I'd be curious to see if that was actually the case--It seems to me that girls *tend* to be more into fantasy and guys sci fi... but it's certainly not absolute.

Is she looking for sci-fi as opposed to fantasy? I have a lot more fantasy suggestions than sci fi
Actually, I like both... but I've probably read more fantasy. Terry Brooks is one of my favorites, as is David Eddings.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Huh? In 2008, I've read 48 books, 12 of them Science Fiction. Of the 16 books read on my Kindle, 9 were SF, 4 were fantasy, and 3 were mysteries.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote