Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #31
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And what's the problem with a plug... or using a card reader... what's with the love of Wi-Fi... insecure and a pain in the neck... and I have a life, can't fit all the vital wirelessly websurfing/file transfering, text2speeching, mobile HD videoing, multi-tasking, e-reading in... have to settle for some eReading, eating, sleeping, surfing, browsing etc... and how do you not mobile HD video or do you think most people just use HD videoing sitting in front of the computer???

From the one calling people fools, suddenly claiming to be civilised is a bit rich... and why is anyone who disagrees with you supposed to be defensive???

And as for the Palm, it's still being happily used by my wife for the purposes she requires which may not be the ones you'd require but who cares... if my wife is happy then so am I... if you're happy good for you but unless it makes you less hostile when interacting with others, again, who cares... good luck with the rest of your life , superiorities and discussions...

Oh yes, sorry if you think this is a personal attack but of course it isn't, it is just a response to your methodology...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
How about no having to plug it in for computer transfers?

We're all civilized people here, there's no need to be so defensive about everything.

No one is claiming to be smarter than anyone. Some of us are just more conscious as consumers than others. For example, it never ceases to amaze me when people get so excited about "new" features that to them "just came out" from a well marketed company.

Seven years ago, I was carrying a iPAQ and then the HX 4700 PDA in 2004. Of course no one even heard of it or even today. Then all of a sudden iPOD video came out in 2005, everyone was amazed by how cool it was to watch HD Videos on the go. Something I had been doing for years. Then came the iPhone 1 in 2007, people were amazed at how cool it was to be able to eread, mobile game, view photos on their (320 x 480 res display compared to my 640X480) something I had been doing on the same device since 2004. And to my amusement they later even "sweetened" the deal with "copy and paste" and later with Stereo Bluetooth driver, something I had since 2004. And yes, with a Compact flash plug-in my HX 4700 became a cell phone.

Now iPhone 4 in 2010, brings the motherload, multi-tasking.... Welcome to 2004.

All this time since 2001-4, for less then the price of todays iPhone 4, I have been wirelessly websurfing/file transfering, text2speeching, mobile HD videoing, multi-tasking, e-reading, on top of that, I can still expand with SDHC cards (32GB) something iPhone 2010 can't (yes it even had flash of yesteryear). I understand why evil greedy profit seeking businesses must hate envelop pushing consumers like me, but why consumers stand on their side is beyond me.

The point is, time and time again shows, people don't know nor care about new features until a powerful enough marketing team tells them to.

And might I add, people back then were boosting about much better Palm was, since it was a dedicated device unlike Windows Mobile with all it's features LOL Where is your Palm now?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #32
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Quote:
Guess we can't all be leaders, can we?

Most people find additional features quite useful once they realize the convenience gained from it. For example, while driving I can have text2speech read to me the news or some novel, this saves me time and $$ since I don't have to be limited to /and/ buy human read audio books.
I can only see that working with having the programed voice reading the news or something to me, but the radio does that perfectly already.. reading a book and listening to one, are completely different experiences, and i wouldn't want to jump back and forth.. I'm curious, how many percent of kindle owners actually use the text to speech regularly? one in a hundred sounds like far too big a number.. I woud see what you're aiming at here, if you say that you want to see smartphones and laptops start using a similar screen as an e-ink reader only in color.. because such little extras as calender, calculator, notes etc. work so much better on a laptop, somewhat on a tablet and for some people on a smartphone, but an e-ink reader in my opinion could not replace a laptop, for so many reasons.. which i hope you get without me listing them for you here. and if people like yourself feel they need to check their calender and other aps on absolutely every device starting with their fridge and finishing with their watch, well.. no point in arguing with you. YET, i would like to see the e-ink technology progress, so that the black goes more black and the white goes more white, but I see that as affecting the product's primary function.. and of course color e-ink would be great, but I can live without it, read my magazines the old fashioned way or on my laptop
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #33
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Is there anything like negative Karma?
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #34
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
Quote:
Consumers are fools to want a single function device, the less functions you get the more you'll have to buy later on. Why would you want the company to make more $$ off you? You fools are precisely the kind of customers business want.
If the extra functions already exist on devices that most people already have, then there's no point in adding redundant functions - which are always at the expense of physical size, battery life, memory etc.. My phone is just fine for email and any casual mobile browsing I find I need to do. When I'm in an office or at home, a computer is an arm's length away. Furthermore when I have the option I'd rather read off e-ink and browse/email on lcd (because it's colour and because it's faster).
I don't want marketing companies to justify jacking up the price of ereaders by convincing people they need features that are made redundant by devices that I and the vast majority of people already own and/or have access to when they need them... Devices that already perform these functions better than an e-ink reader ever could.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #35
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
If the extra functions already exist on devices that most people already have, then there's no point in adding redundant functions - which are always at the expense of physical size, battery life, memory etc.. My phone is just fine for email and any casual mobile browsing I find I need to do. When I'm in an office or at home, a computer is an arm's length away. Furthermore when I have the option I'd rather read off e-ink and browse/email on lcd (because it's colour and because it's faster).
I don't want marketing companies to justify jacking up the price of ereaders by convincing people they need features that are made redundant by devices that I and the vast majority of people already own and/or have access to when they need them... Devices that already perform these functions better than an e-ink reader ever could.
I totaly agree with you!! I'd rather pay the extra $ for build quality rather then extra functions such as text2speech or alarm clock, speakers etc.. instead of all those extra functions you could have a quality e book reader that lasts a long time and you enjoy holding in your hand, hench my choice in favour of the sony daily by the way, ive used the browser once, and then only to explore the feature
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert