Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Griffin PowerDuo for iPad/iPhone/iPod

Just a mini-review on the Griffin Technology PowerDuo that I received today. $40 for a combo pack wall and car charger that works with the iPad (supplying 5v @ 2.1Amps for a fast charge), iPhone, iPod or any other USB device if you supply your own cable.

Both the car and plug chargers are made of thick black plastic. The prongs on the wall charger fold flat for easier storage and travel. The car charger is one solid piece and does not have any sort of fuse that other car chargers have. I don't know if it has a self-sealing fuse inside or just doesn't have anything, no specs on the web site say. Both units have green lights that let you know power is being supplied to your device. Both are small and relatively lightweight without extra casing. The outlet charger is more rectangle vs. Apple's squarer design and has some slightly sharp plastic edges.

Inside the minimal packaging (no blister pack!) is the car charger, the outlet charge, a 3' (1m) cable and a "Griffintechnology.com" sticker similar to Apple stickers included with their products. There is no documentation, warranty papers, etc. in the box. Product specifications are printed on the outside of the cardboard packaging.

The included cable is black and seems to be quality made with thick cabling and good stress relief points at the connectors. There is no marking on the top of the iDevice plug, unusual, so if it's upside-down you won't know until you try to plug it in. It is locking with two buttons on the side to squeeze to release the cable from your iDevice.

Specs:

PowerBlock (wall charger)
  • Input: 100 - 240 V AC
  • Output: 5 VDC @ 2.1 amps

PowerJolt (car charger)
  • Input: 12 VDC
  • Output: 5 VDC @ 2.1 amps

The PowerBlock sells for $30 and the PowerJolt $25 individually, or $40 for both. Individually they each come with a USB-to-30pin iDevice cable, the combo pack only comes with a single cable. Guess individual cables go for $15 each.

For $10 more than Apple's 10W USB Power Adapater you get a car charger as well, although Apple's does include a longer cable and is white. These chargers have been blessed by Apple to work with their products, no error messages about "Not designed for this device" when plugging them in.

I would have liked a longer cord, and rounded edges on the PowerBlock, but these are well made chargers from a reputable company. If you're looking for an extra charger for your iDevice you might want to consider picking this up.

Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
On this topic, I use my PowerMat with my iPad with the Apple adapter, and my iPad charges just fine.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
jharrison
jharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad
I use callpod. They are now selling for $19.95 which includes six adapters while supplies last.
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

gizmodo did some testing on charging your ipad..
Old 05-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks for this info, Scott. Off to buy a Griffin....
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

My charger arrived and works as promised. I did one full charge after running down the battery. Thanks again for mentioning this, Scott. I'm going to order another. I wish it came with two cords, but I guess I'll buy 'em at Griffin if they sell 'em.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

yeah. kinda silly it doesn't come with two cords. but shop around. any old generic iphone cord will work, it's the charger that has to have the higher rating to power the ipad. i've picked up cheap cords for $3-5.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
yeah. kinda silly it doesn't come with two cords. but shop around. any old generic iphone cord will work, it's the charger that has to have the higher rating to power the ipad. i've picked up cheap cords for $3-5.
Sounds good. I probably have a spare one somewhere. My husband has amassed a scary tangle of cords from years of electronics. I call it his electronic tumbleweed.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm not sure if it is available yet, but this Combo Charger by inCase looks cool. It only requires one gadget, not two. (Although there are times when you don't want to remove the car device to bring it into the house, so two gadgets can be handy, too).

http://www.goincase.com/products/det...rger-ec20024/3
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote