Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
LRF no longer "supported" by Calibre

If you have problems with the lrf format for your Sony Reader using Calibre, the message seems to be: tough noogies. I just encountered a bug when converting a .lit file, where extra spacing was added before the last line of each paragraph (and between paragraphs, it seems). Got a quick reply to my ticket, with a "wontfix" status, saying that lrf output is "deprecated." (?) Which I take to mean no longer supported with respect to bugs.

Saw another recent lrf problem reported here, with the suggestion to use ePub output instead.

Sorry, but I sometimes prefer the lrf format, because it actually provides full justification on the Readers--which ePub does not. And because I can use lrf files on my 500 Reader (which I choose not to have upgraded to avoid killing battery life).

Just thought I'd give a heads-up to save anyone else the trouble of reporting lrf problems. Thanks, Calibre.

Anyone know of another utility for converting to lrf?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Anyone know of another utility for converting to lrf?
I use BookDesigner to make my ebooks (only runs in Windows).
If you've never used it, you should give it a try. It's a very powerful program, though sometimes a bit weird.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Thx. I'll give it a try. Despite what some people seem to think, lrf is not a "dead" format by any means.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well for all practical purposes it is dead. Only Sony had it and they don't any longer. Sounds dead to me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
You could use ConvertLIT to unpack the .lit file. Then use OpenOffice to clean up the html. The only thing I usually do first is open the file in a text editor and change the header to html instead of xhtml. Maybe that's not necessary but it's routine for me and I don't have issues importing the file.

I build a lot of lrf, everything I put on my reader in fact. I've found using OpenOffice editing .html gives me a really nice lrf file exactly as I want it. Even graphics which I used to fight with MS Office (saved as .html filtered) to get looking correct look perfectly placed and sized.

Once the html is done, Calibre has always did the convert just fine. Pretty much wysiwyg.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You're welcome
You handled that with class.

You provide great software - the best available anywhere. You don't require anyone to pay you for it. You provide free support - and you provide it faster and better than any commercial software. You constantly upgrade and improve the software. I suspect you scarcely have to time to read your ebooks. And despite all this, you get an "attitude" because you won't spend your time working on an obscure format that even Sony has dropped.

If he wants the code improved, he can fix it himself. (Sorry, but ungrateful posts like this really bug me.) You have my sincere thanks for calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
In Calibre's defense, LRF output has been dropped from the Sigil roadmap, too. It's a dead format.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut

I've donated to Calibre when I began using it. Have you, Starson? Pretty sure I even donated to the "buy Kovid a Kindle" fund, long before you showed up here. (Sorry, snippy posts like this from newbies who don't open their pockets really bug me.)

LRF is very much alive on my Readers. And as I noted above, there are GOOD reasons for continuing to use LRF on a 500. I'm not saying I'm "owed" anything, but given the benefits of LRF still (like full justification) and the fact that all Readers still work with the format, it is not really 'dead' is it?

Plus, I thought I'd save anyone else the trouble of reporting glitches when converting to LRF, and lighten up the ticket queue a bit.

tyche--thanks for the info. So, editing the html in Open Office is better/more glitch-free than in MS Office?

Last edited by DrMoze; 01-30-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sigh. Things change. Some people always cling to the past. Some live there. The fact that LRF is dead is not due to Calibre or Sigil or anyone else other than Sony. Sony has even provided the conversion to epub ...simply a matter of downloading the new format. They also provide FREE upgrade for the 500 to anyone who wanted it. If you choose to live in the past, that's your decision.

I myself will continue to support Calibre and EPUB since that is clearly the standard and the future with Sony, B&N, Apple and many others behind it.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-30-2010 at 01:52 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
In Calibre's defense, LRF output has been dropped from the Sigil roadmap, too. It's a dead format.
Is this like saying that the New Zealand Football League also adopted the "Tuck Rule"?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Would using an older version of Calibre work if LRF is your preferred format?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just to clarify, calibre isn't dropping support for LRF. I'm just not fixing LRF bugs any more.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
And as I noted above, there are GOOD reasons for continuing to use LRF on a 500.
I don't deny that there are good reasons to use LRF, I just don't think you have the right to post an icon just because the author chooses not to support your preferred format. It's not his job to support you. It's not even a job.

As I said, you are free to work on the code yourself. Have you even tried? That's what I did when I wanted a feature. I fixed 3 things for myself, figured out how to submit them so others could use them and Kovid has added them to the code base. If you can't contribute code, you can try to rally support for what you want done as an essential feature, or you can try to convince someone else to write it, but you've got no right to be angry at Kovid.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The beauty of open-source products like Calibre and Sigil is, if there is a need for something, someone can jump in and provide it. No App Store hoops to jump thru, no contracts to negotiate, just roll up the sleeves and give it a try.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lrf, right justify