Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #136
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I am not sure what exactly is the "idea" behind the 11.html. As, e.g., the case of "o'clock" shows (it works in 11.html and in o'.html) the rules are not so clear-cut. To my mind the rule should be: Put into 11.html all cases that otherwise would result in an invalid filename (on any? OS), period not being accepted as part of a filename proper. I did however not test whether the search engine finds for instance "3rd" in 3r.html.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #137
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
... every key NOT starting as [a-z][a-z] (when lowercased) will go to 11.html.
This sends all expressions of some languages to 11.html.
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #138
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This sends all expressions of some languages to 11.html.
Do not take that expression too literally: it was a short-hand for "every word (lowercased) NOT starting with two letters --- in the range a-z. My code actually generates other files other than 11.html
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #139
tshering
Wizard

To be more clear, I am thinking of languages that do not use Latin script.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #140
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried this dictionary:

Code:
<?xml version = "1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE document SYSTEM "dictionary.dtd"> 
<dictionary>
<entry>
 <key>Würstel</key>
 <def>Definition of <i>Würstel</i>, with upper case letter.</def>
</entry>
<entry>
 <key>würstel</key>
 <def>Definition of <i>würstel</i>, with lower case letter.</def>
</entry>
<entry>
 <key>1826</key>
 <def>Test of <i>1826</i> one-eight-two-six.</def>
</entry>
<entry>
 <key>è</key>
 <def>"è" is the Italian equivalent of "is".</def>
</entry>
<entry>
 <key>Leopardi</key>
 <def><i>Leopardi</i> is the name of a famous Italian poet.</def>
</entry>
<entry>
 <key>leopardi</key>
 <def><i>leopardi</i> means "leopards" in Italian.</def>
</entry>
<entry>
 <key>égloga</key>
 <def>Type of ancient poem.</def>
</entry>
</dictionary>
My code generates le.html (Leopardi and leopardi) and 11.html (all the other words). All the keys are present in words, and they are recognized by the search function on the kobo (tested this by searching for them in search box).

Apparently, searching for "1826" retrieves its definition, while "égloga" or " würstel" (they went into 11.html) does not --- this could mean that the Kobo expects them to be in ég.html and wü.html files. So far so good, but I am puzzled by the fact that also "è" does not retrieve its definition, albeit being in 11.html.

Last edited by AlPe; 12-08-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #141
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
To be more clear, I am thinking of languages that do not use Latin script.
Yes, that's sure. How should this be dealt with?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #142
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
So far so good, but I am puzzled by the fact that also "è" does not retrieve its definition, albeit being in 11.html.
The Kobo expects it to be in éa.html
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #143
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, that's sure. How should this be dealt with?
I think any character beyond 127 is acceptable. For instance all Japanese characters work. We only have to find out which characters from 0-127 are not acceptable.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #144
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
The Kobo expects it to be in éa.html
You are right, I tried and I confirm it.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #145
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
I think any character beyond 127 is acceptable. For instance all Japanese characters work. We only have to find out which characters from 0-127 are not acceptable.
Seems legit. I will try to check tomorrow. Thanks for the lead.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #146
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
@Alpe, you want that I you send my couple of letter French dictionary for your test?
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #147
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Yes, please, especially if you have already experimented on which keywords should go to which XX.html file.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #148
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Ok, I have performed a test of ASCII (0-127) characters, except control characters, and it seems that you can move all keywords containing a non-letter (defined as [A-Za-z]) in the first two characters into 11.html.

I attach the XML dictionary I used for testing, plus the "Italian" Kobo dictionary compiled by Penelope from the XML dictionary. (Note: download the XML file and open it with a text editor, since it might not display properly in a browser, since it has raw "< > &". Penelope does not use a DOM parsers, hence it allows those characters to be unescaped.)

I updated the Google Code source code of Penelope, to reflect tshering's suggestion (thanks!) about 1-character keywords.
Attached Files
File Type: xml special.xml (2.0 KB, 440 views)
File Type: zip dicthtml-it.zip (1.1 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by AlPe; 12-09-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added note about the XML file
Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #149
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
@Alpe I you send a mail.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #150
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, I have performed a test of ASCII (0-127) characters, except control characters, and it seems that you can move all keywords containing a non-letter (defined as [A-Za-z]) in the first two characters into 11.html.
In order to work also with languages that use other scripts than Latin script, e.g. Greek, it would be preferable that your script sends to 11.html only those keywords that must be send to 11.html, rather that all those keywords that can be send to 11.htrml. This should be only a small change in your script but have a great effect on the usability.