Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
May I ask: what is KF8 and why is not having it a reason to switch to an epub device?

Thank you

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
May I ask: what is KF8 and why is not having it a reason to switch to an epub device?
From the Wiki:
Quote:
KF8 is basically a compiled ePub that has been compiled using a Palm database and Amazon's DRM scheme. It is targeting ePub 3 version support but existing ePub can also be used.
It is likely that existing ePub 2 ebooks will convert feature for feature to KF8. If you instead convert from ePub to MOBI some features can be lost. The differences are not usually significant when reading standard text-based novels, but they can be significant for technical texts. For example O'Reilly was not happy with using MOBI for their books on computer topics, although they did so because of Amazon's market share.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That would be a nice bonus, but I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up.
Agreed. I don't think Amazon will upgrade the Kindle Keyboard.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I believe KF8 is on par, with ePub3. ePub3 is not supported by any devices yet, and I don't think it's a ratified standard.

If you want to do any tables with shading in them, you're out of luck with the existing mobi/azw spec. If you have any books with tables that have levels of grey to differentiate lines, the book is probably a Topaz book, or the table is an embedded image.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
MickeyInPurley
MickeyInPurley began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I receieved an email from Amazon today saying Software 3.4 was available for my Kindle Keyboard and that it (amonst other things) supports KF8. I've downloaded it and my Kindle suevived the uprgade. I can't vouch for KF8 working as I dont have any KF8 formatted books... but if you do now is the time to look. Alas, I suspect my Kindle DX Graphite will never get the upgrade which is a shame as its a much better size for reading books at home...
MickeyInPurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
This is from the Amazon page for the update to the K3:

Software Update Version 3.4
Version 3.4 is a brand new, free software update for Kindle Keyboard that includes:

Improved Font: We've improved the reading font to have more contrast and be more crisp.
Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read.
Kindle Format 8: KF8 makes books look even better with support for author specified fonts and more book styling options.
Comic Books: Kindle Keyboard now supports comic books with Kindle Panel View. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store. Books open in Kindle Panel View by default (a view that allows you to read a comic book panel by panel).
Children's Picture Books: Kindle Keyboard supports children's picture books with Kindle Text Pop-Up. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store.
Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Software update for Kindle 3 KB indeed supports KF8

Software update for Kindle 3 KB can be downloaded directly from Amazon web site http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700
It has been released in September and you have download and install instructions here
It supports KF8 i.e. AZW3 - nearly all the kindle books I have been buying since the update are the .AZW3 format and some of my old purchases which were .MOBI/.AZW when I re-downloaded them after update were .AZW3

It works like a charm
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This thread is ancient history. Firmware version 3.4 (with KF8 support) came out for the Kindle Keyboard goodness knows how many months ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This thread is ancient history. Firmware version 3.4 (with KF8 support) came out for the Kindle Keyboard goodness knows how many months ago.
Yes, it came out in September, but it seems there are still many people out there not aware of it. Probably not using wifi nor reading forums over here...
Old 12-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Yes, it came out in September, but it seems there are still many people out there not aware of it. Probably not using wifi nor reading forums over here...
I only received the update OTA a couple weeks ago.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I only received the update OTA a couple weeks ago.
Yes, sadly, I think that Amazon should have sent mail to all the customers with registered Kindle KB telling them that there is update so either get it by switching on WiFi and checking for update or just download from our site and install.
I fortunately had a friend point me out to the Amazon page to install the update and also to this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190723 so I updated in time...