Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
waleedqk
Edge User

Apps and Widgets

Hi,

I am a first time android user so am not familiar with this environment. Since I am completely new to this this can someone explain what widgets are and how are they related to apps.

Also I recently downloaded this app "Advanced Task Killer", and while reading on the forums i saw that its not such a great idea to be using this application as it can cause many problems if used incorrectly. So i want to know is when I am done using an application say facebook and i press the back key to go back to the home screen but the application is still running in the background right as i can see it in the task killer list. Any way to completely close an application it so it doesn't slow down the EE while i start something new.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

A widget lives on your homescreen, for example a clock, a weather widget or a power control widget. You can't open a widget if you don't have it on the homescreen (the equivalent of you desktop on a PC) A widget is sometimes a shortcut to an app, allowing you to control it from the homescreen, or see the info without actually opening the app. As for a task manager, Android is actually pretty good about managing memory and tasks. The system will close apps and delegate the memory to apps you are using as needed. This article explains better than I can. http://androidspin.com/2010/05/25/wh...-with-android/

Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
waleedqk
Edge User

Aah i see, so basically my fear of too many apps running in the backgrnd and slowing dwn the device are not needed. It'll automatically kill the process when there are too many.
Thanks for your help, the article was a big help too.

Also if you could tell me how exactly does one get a conformation that there is an update available, and does updating affect your saved journals, apps or pdf's if they are not in use? I Know these questions sound stupid but like i said new user.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, waleedqk

If you mean system updates (rather than app updates), you'll usually see news of an update here in the forums. You can also go into your eDGe settings and set it for automatic update notifications ("Menu" - Settings - eDGe Settings - Default Device Preferences - Automatically Check for Updates).

To date, updates haven't affected data (journals, PDFs, ebooks). Apps usually aren't affected, although in some cases you may discover that you need to uninstall/reinstall an app you installed, but this isn't common.

Feel free to ask questions!

Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Dang Boris, I was logging in and you answered. Beat me again

Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

How uninteresting my life would be without you

Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
waleedqk
Edge User

An how exactly would one uninstall an app?

EE should be paying you guyzz for all the help you guyz provide the users. I doubt there is even a single user that you two haven't helped so far(been reading these forums for the past two days).
Really appreciate the help, thanks a lot

Old 12-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

Cheyenne and I both very much enjoy helping out people in these forums You'll notice there are a lot of helpful people on these forums, not just the two of us.

You go "Menu" - Settings - Applications - Manage Applications. Tap the app you want for details, and click the "Uninstall" button there.

Last edited by borisb; 12-27-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
waleedqk
Edge User

So the .apk files that are downloaded are setup files, once the app is installed i can just delete them right?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Yes, those are the setup files and you can delete them to free up space.

However, I recommend you archive them to a USB memory stick (or a folder in a Dropbox account). It can make it easier to install them on a new eDGe or another Android device than having to hunt and seek them all over the place