Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex
mmessina has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Pessimistic new author introduction.

I know I shouldn't be such a downer but it's a sort of self-defense mechanism for coping with failure ;P

[Promotional material deleted - MODERATOR] - I then promptly realized this thing is not going to sell without some marketing/promotion; did some research and found that a vast majority of kindle's books never sell. Some disheartening comments about going up several hundred thousand places (literally) in the best seller's list by selling a meager 3 copies made me think ya know, this probably is going to be a disappointment if I don't act now.

So I looked around and a large amount of blogs recommended coming here to post. I've got some weird experience using social media networking in that I've helped two multi-billion dollar companies setup their social media systems. I on the other hand, have trouble promoting myself. Shameless self promotion, as it is, is not necessarily my strong point. Works great if I'm doing it for someone else though, go figure. So I'm here to get some positive influence; maybe sell a few copies, and hopefully come off more knowledgeable about the 'biz' then before I came in.

Next stop is the author's self-promotion corner as soon as I gather the courage to write up a splendid piece on why people should read my book :P

Any other suggestions are definitely welcome

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-10-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Mike and welcome to MobileRead
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
WillieMcIntyre
Enthusiast
WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Hi Mike and welcome.

"It's being so cheerful wot keeps me going"

For some reason your post brought to mind that famous old quote.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMcIntyre View Post
Hi Mike and welcome.

"It's being so cheerful wot keeps me going"

For some reason your post brought to mind that famous old quote.
I'm like a ray of black sunshine, I know

Thanks for the welcome guys
Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread....

Have you seen the Author Self-Promotion Forum ... and also the Writers' Corner ... Just two of the many gems we have on board ...
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Mike and welcome to MobileRead.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmessina View Post
Any other suggestions are definitely welcome
I do have a suggestion or two:
1. Get a cover. Seriously. Your book will be more attractive that way.
2. Get in touch with other indie authors. This way you can coordinate effort. You came here, so you have started well ;-)
3. Try getting a review. Contact reviewers and offer your book. There are many, many reviewers that are highly regarded and a review in a high-visibility blog can get you noticed. There is indie page at http://www.simon-royle.com/ Try to contact a reviewer this way.
Try to find out who are influential reviewers and try to attract their attention. And get some customer review for your Amazon page. (No I am *not* suggesting that you write it yourself, or ask your spouse or brother to write one, but you can try to offer your book to people that will promise to write review for Amazon)
4. Consider running a promotion. A giveaway at some blog or site,
5. Get a smashword account and publish there. You are allowed to do that. You can't lose anything (apart from a few hours you need to invest to formatting your book for Smashwords.) This way you can make promotions by sending people promotion code to get your book. Also for non-USA residents Amazon charges $2 surcharge for "wireless delivery" (even if they only have WiFi-only Kindle or even a Kindle app for Android or PC).
6. Write that splendid piece on why people should read your book
7. Did I mention you should get a cover? ;-)
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

welcome
Old 03-15-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Mike. Yup, I'm afraid the really hard work for an author comes AFTER s/he types 'The End'. It is a slog, but imagination, effort and long hours are vital in promo. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello and welcome. Self-promotion isn't easy, at least not for me. But you've taken the first steps to getting your name out. You might want to find sites that feature bargain Kindle books. If they feature your book, it could boost sales. Do you have a website? Good luck.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraM View Post
Hello and welcome. Self-promotion isn't easy, at least not for me. But you've taken the first steps to getting your name out. You might want to find sites that feature bargain Kindle books. If they feature your book, it could boost sales. Do you have a website? Good luck.
I haven't looked into the bargain kindle books thing, I'll have to check it out but while I'm off googling do you have any suggestions? This is the first I've heard of this and I'm genuinely very interested
Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I do have a suggestion or two:
1. Get a cover. Seriously. Your book will be more attractive that way.
2. Get in touch with other indie authors. This way you can coordinate effort. You came here, so you have started well ;-)
3. Try getting a review. Contact reviewers and offer your book. There are many, many reviewers that are highly regarded and a review in a high-visibility blog can get you noticed. There is indie page at http://www.simon-royle.com/ Try to contact a reviewer this way.
Try to find out who are influential reviewers and try to attract their attention. And get some customer review for your Amazon page. (No I am *not* suggesting that you write it yourself, or ask your spouse or brother to write one, but you can try to offer your book to people that will promise to write review for Amazon)
4. Consider running a promotion. A giveaway at some blog or site,
5. Get a smashword account and publish there. You are allowed to do that. You can't lose anything (apart from a few hours you need to invest to formatting your book for Smashwords.) This way you can make promotions by sending people promotion code to get your book. Also for non-USA residents Amazon charges $2 surcharge for "wireless delivery" (even if they only have WiFi-only Kindle or even a Kindle app for Android or PC).
6. Write that splendid piece on why people should read your book
7. Did I mention you should get a cover? ;-)
Yeah the cover thing is in progress. [Promotional material deleted - MODERATOR]

You've got really excellent advise. I'll make good use of it this weekend, thank you.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-19-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome! You've gotten some fantastic advice
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Welcome! You've gotten some fantastic advice
Thanks So far this forum has been really helpful. Got put up on smashwords but need to get this book cover situation worked out.

Also need to get a review done and on that note I see you do them Gracie. Interested in reading a little sci-fi?
Closed Thread