Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Apple 'sells 1m iPads in a month'

iPad sales .... [BBC web link]

Just four weeks after release Apple has announced it has sold one million iPads.

...and that is "just" in the US .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
1m lost souls....

Honestly, I have held one of those iPads and I honestly do not understand the hype of it. It claims to fill the gap between the handheld and the pc. What gap? I personally never experienced that gap...

What do I not like? The weight, the size, the battery life, the screen and the Apple Store.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
That is a ton of sales, wonder if that includes sale to store inventories like Best Buy Etc who ultimately haven't been sold yet to the consumer
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Honestly, I have held one of those iPads and I honestly do not understand the hype of it. It claims to fill the gap between the handheld and the pc. What gap? I personally never experienced that gap....
Then tablets just aren't for you. Doesn't mean the gap isn't their for other folk.

I need a tablet for reading and marking up A4 PDFs instead of printing them out (reading on a computer or laptop sucks because of the form factor), marking up Word document, reading magazines, reading comics, surfing the net on the couch, watching streaming video in bed etc. I'd also probably ditch my Kindle and just read novels on it since I just read a chapter or two a day a few times a week I don't really care about having e-ink.

I've also never saw a need for a smart phone as I hate reading, surfing the web etc. on such small screens, which I guess makes the gap bigger for me.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
cheerio, given that the iPad is sold out almost everywhere, that number would be so small as to be irrelevant.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
They also claim 1.5m ebook downloads. Since 1m of those are probably 'Winnie the Pooh' freebies, that's 500,000 actual sales, which is still quite significant.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
They also claim 1.5m ebook downloads. Since 1m of those are probably 'Winnie the Pooh' freebies, that's 500,000 actual sales, which is still quite significant.
I'm surprised by the low number of eBook downloads. (Probably Steve Jobs was right: His target audience doesn't read that much).
What's the average price of eBooks from Apple? Let's assume, it's not the "aggressive" $ 10 from Amazon, but $ 15.
That's $ 7.5 million. Linearly extrapolated, this would be $ 90 million for a whole year. Maybe even less, the initial phase should have hyped up sales.
That's way less than Amazon - and it's still "nothing" compared to paper books.

Interesting would be, to compare the 500.000 eBooks to the number of additional movies/TV episodes. Probably would be way bigger.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
1m lost souls....

Honestly, I have held one of those iPads and I honestly do not understand the hype of it. It claims to fill the gap between the handheld and the pc. What gap? I personally never experienced that gap...

What do I not like? The weight, the size, the battery life, the screen and the Apple Store.
One has to admit: Apple does a brillant marketing job(s).
Personally, I find their products mediocre at best. My iMac certainly has been the first and only PC from Apple. iPhone has been voted "worst phone" ever by NYT - and I agree. And actually, their iPhone sales aren't really that good. Siemens ICM did drop out of business with similar figures. But: iTunes is a great cash generator. And Apple cleverly understands, to hype up even the smallest of sales figures.
Without even having seen it: I'm absolutely sure, iPad will have NOTHING new or even spectacular. But for some reason they they have loyal followers - which HP or Sony for similar products don't have.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Apple have said that the figure doesn't include the Winnie-the-Pooh book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I was going to buy one for my father today while I am staying in the US. But most stores are sold out. And online order takes at least 5-7 business days. That's after my flight back. ;(
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
iPhone has been voted "worst phone" ever by NYT - and I agree.
Do you have a link for that? I did a quick Google and it only threw up that old CNET piece - the one where they complained about call quality, carrier coverage etc.. etc.. but still managed to call it the "best handheld computer there is". Did you manage to exchange yours without too many problems, or are you stuck on a contract?

Quote:
And actually, their iPhone sales aren't really that good. Siemens ICM did drop out of business with similar figures...
Perhaps that says more about Siemens than Apple? This piece suggests that Apple are making more money on iPhones than HP do on PC sales - a lot more - which is partly due, of course, to a general trend away from PCs as the 'PC business' steps into maturity/old age, but interesting nonetheless.

I'll be very interested in what HP do in the tablet space over the coming year or two, especially with the acquisition of Palm. But I'll probably be buying an iPad because it seems to be able to do what I want, well enough, to be worthwhile. And if it doesn't, then I'm sure it'll be just fine as a big iPod.

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
This piece suggests that Apple are making more money on iPhones than HP do on PC sales - a lot more - which is partly due, of course, to a general trend away from PCs as the 'PC business' steps into maturity/old age, but interesting nonetheless.
I'd wager that has more to do with PCs priced as commodities than anything else. Dell started a trend where PCs profit margins are razor thin, even more so than general already thin electronics margins. Most geeks that actually can use a non-shitty computer, build their own for much cheaper still.

When Apple makes more on iPhones than HP does on printer ink, then I'll be impressed with the gullibility of Apple fans. Right now I'm more impressed that people still buy printer cartridges to print cute pictures at home...
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
iPad is a cool device and they are selling for a reason, they aren't exactly inexpensive
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Most geeks that actually can use a non-shitty computer, build their own for much cheaper still.
Sure, but when were we only discussing geeks? Or even "most" of them? HP are apparently the world's largest PC supplier, so the fact that Apple makes (allegedly) 6x the profit on iPhone than HP does on PCs is relevant. But yes, it's likely as much to do with the 'commoditisation' of PCs and the general drift away from the PC 'space' as anything; but as I said before, interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
When Apple makes more on iPhones than HP does on printer ink, then I'll be impressed with the gullibility of Apple fans...
Lol, yes, me too, though not with their 'gullibility' - and as an aside why should people who buy Apple products be seen as 'gullible'? Not everyone shares your values - or mine, of course - but it's no crime to buy a product that looks nice and does what you want.

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Sure, but when were we only discussing geeks? Or even "most" of them? HP are apparently the world's largest PC supplier, so the fact that Apple makes (allegedly) 6x the profit on iPhone than HP does on PCs is relevant. But yes, it's likely as much to do with the 'commoditisation' of PCs and the general drift away from the PC 'space' as anything; but as I said before, interesting nonetheless.
The point about the geeks was mainly that non-geeks (normal people) don't generally put their computers to much heavy-cycle use. Geeks (or people that pay attention to computers) that care about performance, will tend to build their own; much in the same way that gearheads (people who care about cars) will mod up that classic 1956 'vette in order to squeak the most power out for the smallest (though still large) amount of money.

As to gullible Apple fans, no, no-one has to share my values exactly. However, anyone who willing gives money to a company that does this is gullible.

Last edited by MovieBird; 05-04-2010 at 04:14 PM.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote